Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

35 minutes ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

The Events Manager for Newcastle and the North East has just been on BBC Look North saying they are already in discussions with the World Cup about next year. He didn't specifically say St James' Park was booked but he was speaking very positively about the events still being held there

That’s great to hear that the events haven’t deflated the RLWC team and they’re straight back on the horse.

I’m full of admiration for Dutton and his team 👏🏻 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Damien said:

“They have to understand that, like it or not, Australia is a sovereign nation that makes decisions as a sovereign entity,” V’landys said...

Australia is indeed sovereign. Mr V'landys however is not its Queen, Governor General or Prime Minister.

His role is to chair the ARLC, whose responsibility is just to oversee RL in Australia and represent it alongside other national governing bodies in IRL.

Of what relevance is Australia's sovereignty? The RLWC isn't being run by the Australian government - perhaps he is going to declare the ARLC's independence. 

Edited by Barley Mow
  • Like 7

3 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

Australia is indeed sovereign. Mr V'landys however is not its Queen, Governor General or Prime Minister.

His role is to chair the ARLC, whose responsibility is just to oversee RL in Australia and represent it alongside other national governing bodies in IRL.

Of what relevance is Australia's sovereignty? The RLWC isn't being run by the Australian government - perhaps he is going to declare the ARLC's independence. 

He’s read some Brexit speeches and knows he needs a permanent enemy - regardless of truth - to keep the faithful sated.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

7 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

That’s great to hear that the events haven’t deflated the RLWC team and they’re straight back on the horse.

I’m full of admiration for Dutton and his team 👏🏻 

The RLWC team have been a credit to themselves and the game for the entirety of the build up and delivery stage. They don’t deserve this utter nonsense from the NRL.

• Like 4

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Play the old colonial card that’ll get us plenty of support . So it’s England v Australia is it ? Tell that to all the other nations and players who are affected by this .  That statement was so low and inflammatory , as well as being complete rubbish 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Damien said:

The ego of the man! This was all about him, he is obviously a man who is used to getting his own way. I don't hate many people people but I think I can make an exception here:

To say that V'landys is up his own backside is an understatement

Edited by lucky 7
  • Like 1

Just saw on social media someone mentioned some female players had made life decisions based on the world Cup, including putting of having children. Not sure how true it is but there will have been impact on people's lives.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

He’s read some Brexit speeches and knows he needs a permanent enemy - regardless of truth - to keep the faithful sated.

It really is straight out of the Lord Frost Playbook. Absolutely bonkers. Does V'landys think he's the freaking prime minister!

I think they've all gone a bit mad being cooped up in their lockdown for so long. 

22 hours ago, Joe Aitcheson said:

I presume that was tongue in cheek Mr Frisky, the Aussies have been pathetic but the rugger b******s have been far worse, as you’d know if you knew your RL/ru history. I just hope that the person at RLHQ who decided back in the 80’s not to renew the patent on the title “Rugby World Cup” was sacked with immediate effect.

You cannot patent a name especially a generic one. You might be able to argue for it being a trademark but even that is debatable. 

25 minutes ago, dkw said:

Just saw on social media someone mentioned some female players had made life decisions based on the world Cup, including putting of having children. Not sure how true it is but there will have been impact on people's lives.

They may have successfully coerced the women and the Pacific players into joining their power play on this occasion, but those sportsmen and women will have long memories.

Ruling through threats and fear always come back to bite you in the end. We may be powerless over here, but a substantial number of players at the heart of the Australian game won't forgive V'landys and Co for how they treated them. 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, dhw said:

You cannot patent a name especially a generic one. You might be able to argue for it being a trademark but even that is debatable. 

So why then don’t we start naming our world cups as “Rugby world cups” from 2022 onwards???? We were, after all, the original by some 33 years!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Joe Aitcheson said:

So why then don’t we start naming our world cups as “Rugby world cups” from 2022 onwards???? We were, after all, the original by some 33 years!

I remember the question on QOS , Matt whatsisface was amazed 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, lucky 7 said:

To say that V'landys is up his own backside is an understatement

Remember Vlandys is from the streets.

He is very politically astute. At heart, deceitful and untrustworthy.

This is his way of warding off the effect of the few pro-World Cup (truthful) stories that have leaked out over there.

He knows that one sure fire way to rally support around him, is to suggest that an English man talked down to him.

This will cause a conniption in 98% of bonafide, ocker Aussies.

27 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

I remember the question on QOS , Matt whatsisface was amazed 

I don’t watch QOS on principle, as they have always had one team captain from the kick n clap establishment, like Matt Dawson who always came off the field cleaner than when he went on. So are you saying Gubrats, that this apology for a sports quiz actually asked the question of “when was the first Rugby World Cup” ???

35 minutes ago, Joe Aitcheson said:

I don’t watch QOS on principle, as they have always had one team captain from the kick n clap establishment, like Matt Dawson who always came off the field cleaner than when he went on. So are you saying Gubrats, that this apology for a sports quiz actually asked the question of “when was the first Rugby World Cup” ???

No. It was a which is oldest question.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

9 hours ago, dkw said:

I saw that. It went along the lines of jobs, children & weddings put on hold for the chance of lifetime.  I expect those people will change their priorities now and could be unavailable next year

• Sad 2

7 hours ago, Damien said:

And on the day the World Cup is cancelled the Kangaroos release their hypothetical team. A team that never plays. Its like a sick joke:

They are just trolling Dutton & his team plain and simple. It’s disgusting 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I saw that. It went along the lines of jobs, children & weddings put on hold for the chance of lifetime.  I expect those people will change their priorities now and could be unavailable next year

It will be a thing.

And now think about the same group not knowing whether the next World Cup is 2025 or 2026 or happening at all.

Someone can come along to blame union for the current state of league.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Damien said:

And on the day the World Cup is cancelled the Kangaroos release their hypothetical team. A team that never plays. Its like a sick joke:

It’s the worse parody of Bullseye of all time - look at what you could have won 

• Haha 3