Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

If covid is still around when the WC looms large next year, why would they turn up when that was a dealbreaker this year? Unless they realise it would simply be too embarrassing not to attend, I think it would still be conditional.

Jon Dutton comes across as naively optimistic at times. His lack of knowledge of the inward looking mentality of Aussie RL administrators could be at the root of that. I hope his optimism is well founded this time around.

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

1 hour ago, RayCee said:

If covid is still around when the WC looms large next year, why would they turn up when that was a dealbreaker this year? Unless they realise it would simply be too embarrassing not to attend, I think it would still be conditional.

Jon Dutton comes across as naively optimistic at times. His lack of knowledge of the inward looking mentality of Aussie RL administrators could be at the root of that. I hope his optimism is well founded this time around.

I doubt he is naïve or lacks knowledge about the inward looking mentality of Australian RL administrators, especially after his dealings with them over the last several months. His optimism probably goes with the job, at least outwardly he has to show optimism - I mean what would it look like if he was constantly moaning about how nothing was going right - it would be very Rugby League but a pretty bad showing for the tournament 

• Like 1

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

4 hours ago, Dave T said:

Has any sport ever released something as embarrassing as this? 

It would be a lot more reassuring if there had been any comment or tweet or news story from the NZRL, NRL, ARL or Kangaroos.

Instead, across all their media channels today, absolute silence.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

COVID will be still around , but hopefully they find the will to come which they just didn’t have this year 

The removal of quarantine requirements for double vaccinated travelers takes away one of their main excuses,

9 minutes ago, M j M said:

It would be a lot more reassuring if there had been any comment or tweet or news story from the NZRL, NRL, ARL or Kangaroos.

Instead, across all their media channels today, absolute silence.

Yes, that would have been a better way of demonstrating unity and commitment and giving buyers confidence. Instead we have this which doesn't mean anything as this kind of thing should never be in doubt. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

Yes, that would have been a better way of demonstrating unity and commitment and giving buyers confidence. Instead we have this which doesn't mean anything as this kind of thing should never be in doubt. 

If it isn't pointless gossip or speculation about the NRL transfer merry go round the third rate hacks at Fox League and in the Nine network won't be interested, nor will the rest of their media outlets. The NZRL isn't allowed to comment until V'Landys tells them they can and he won't say anything unless he absolutely has to.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Damien said:

At last:

Australia and New Zealand will play in the re-scheduled 2021 Rugby League World Cup, organisers have confirmed.

The tournament in England, due to start last month, was postponed for a year after both teams withdrew because of "safety concerns" related to Covid-19.

The five-week tournament will now take place between 15 October and 19 November next year.

"Today is a very important and exciting milestone on our journey to 2022," RLWC chief executive Jon Dutton said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/59261612

Yes I actually heard it on ABC radio here in Sydney this morning … but I'll believe it when I see it !!

• Like 2

"In addition, organisers can also confirm the re-introduction of the Physical Disability Rugby League World Cup, hosted in Warrington, which will welcome Ireland as a sixth participant."

I`ve seen this played in Oz and to see the joy on the participants faces has been moving to say the least. 

I don`t want to sound patronising but a lot of the participants in PDRL are unable to play the game against able bodied people despite being passionate League fans. I`m stoked they`re making room for them to have a go.

Another big tick for the Rugby League World Cup organisers.

• Like 4

The one worry I have here, and I hope this is alleviated on Friday is that they highlight that there are 4 event days affected - we know of the two in Liverpool, but the other two are likely to be football grounds - I can't see the HJ or Headingley not being available for example - so I really hope that we don't have an issue with the other marquee events.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jim from Oz said:

Yes I actually heard it on ABC radio here in Sydney this morning … but I'll believe it when I see it !!

After the hassle and damage they have caused the least that the NRL and NZRL could do is issue a strongly supportive statement about the World Cup and their commitment. The fact the haven't done this just shows their contempt for the rest of the game.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The one worry I have here, and I hope this is alleviated on Friday is that they highlight that there are 4 event days affected - we know of the two in Liverpool, but the other two are likely to be football grounds - I can't see the HJ or Headingley not being available for example - so I really hope that we don't have an issue with the other marquee events.

Struggling to find it on my phone, but I'm pretty sure I've seen somewhere that the other 2 match days affected refer to date changes rather than venue changes. I'll see if I can find the source when I get home tonight 

• Like 1

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

1 hour ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

Struggling to find it on my phone, but I'm pretty sure I've seen somewhere that the other 2 match days affected refer to date changes rather than venue changes. I'll see if I can find the source when I get home tonight 

I think there might be more than 2 affected by date changes 🙂

The press release says "These changes are the switching of two fixtures between existing venues and the movement of two events to alternative venues."

• Like 2

With all teams signed-up, and all venues and host cities confirmed, we can now exclusively reveal details of our ‘Big Six’ most in-demand fixtures across all competitions before our new schedule is released on Friday.

🏉 England v Samoa (men's opening game) at St James' Park, Saturday 15 October 2022.

🏉 England v Brazil & PNG v Canada (women's opening games) at Headingley Stadium, Tuesday 1 November 2022.

🏉 England v Australia & Spain v Norway (wheelchair double-header) at the Copper Box Arena, Thursday 3 November 2022.

🏉 Men's semi-final at Elland Road, Friday 11 November 2022.

🏉 Men's semi-final at Emirates Stadium, Saturday 12 November 2022.

🏉 Men’s and women’s double-header final at Old Trafford, Saturday 19 November 2022.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Rescheduled fixtures. Its actually really good I think that all 3 finals are now in Manchester:

Manchester will host all three finals of the rescheduled Rugby League World Cup - with Old Trafford hosting the men's and women's finals.

Both finals will take place back to back on 19 November 2022, with the wheelchair final to be staged a day earlier at the Manchester Central convention centre.

The five-week tournament in England, set to start last month, was postponed for a year after Australia and New Zealand withdrew because of "safety concerns" related to Covid-19.

It will now take place between 15 October and 19 November next year.

Old Trafford was already scheduled to host the men's and women's finals, but the wheelchair final had originally been set to take place at the M&S Bank Arena in Liverpool - which is unavailable to stage the rearranged match.

That is one of five games to have moved venues as a result of the year-long postponement.

In the men's tournament, the match between holders Australia and Fiji on the opening day will now take place at Headingley, Leeds, as a result of a clash with another event in Hull.

In return, the MKM Stadium, Hull, will host New Zealand v Jamaica in Group C on 22 October - a fixture that was scheduled to be played in Leeds.

Anfield, which was set to stage a women's match between England and Canada and a men's quarter-final, is no longer available as a result of expansion work at Liverpool FC's stadium.

Those matches will now be held at Wigan's DW Stadium on 5 November.

Rugby League - BBC Sport

25 minutes ago, M j M said:

So how many are going to try to get to both the St James's Park and Headingley games on the first day. Can't be impossible to do.

Easy 4.43 train into Leeds at 6.12 if you are not driving. Stadium 10 min walk from stadium. 

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

Easy 4.43 train into Leeds at 6.12 if you are not driving. Stadium 10 min walk from stadium. 

If you can walk from St James Park to Headingley in 10 minutes, then you are going something! 😬😬

Edited by Johnoco