Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

Why do the Cowboys refer to the world cup as the "NRL world cup"???

https://www.cowboys.com.au/news/2022/03/10/i-would-love-to-one-day-represent-fiji-moceidreke/?fbclid=IwAR1lWyA80gq4kDfTT8qzEsnIh_9uEenpOkE6EnzcKth3XKxyMUMOL3922E0

"It is this strong heritage that Moceidreke says is why his dream is to represent Fiji at the NRL World Cup, just like his brother, Sitiveni."

• Sad 1

On 07/03/2022 at 09:48, wilsontown said:

The Rugby League World Cup in ice sculpture form at York over the weekend...

https://yorkmix.com/pictures-they-are-so-cool-sculptures-revealed-as-york-ice-trail-gets-underway/

I like it!

ice-trail-2022-20.jpg

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

51 minutes ago, Keith989 said:

Why do the Cowboys refer to the world cup as the "NRL world cup"???

https://www.cowboys.com.au/news/2022/03/10/i-would-love-to-one-day-represent-fiji-moceidreke/?fbclid=IwAR1lWyA80gq4kDfTT8qzEsnIh_9uEenpOkE6EnzcKth3XKxyMUMOL3922E0

"It is this strong heritage that Moceidreke says is why his dream is to represent Fiji at the NRL World Cup, just like his brother, Sitiveni."

Sadly, so many Aussies, especially those under the age of 25, are now referring to the sport of Rugby League as "NRL". 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Oz to delay naming their preliminary squad until after the Origin series, to avoid a meeting between Fittler and Slater mid-series.

From the article:

''The naming of an expanded preliminary squad is expected to include the entire squads from the opening Origin clash in Sydney, except for NSW winger Daniel Tupou, who will represent Tonga.''

Rugby League World Cup 2022: Australia’s preliminary squad to be delayed as State of Origin coaches Brad Fittler and Billy Slater ask not to meet until end of interstate series (smh.com.au)

I don't think Tupou should be playing Origin.

1 hour ago, StandOffHalf said:

Oz to delay naming their preliminary squad until after the Origin series, to avoid a meeting between Fittler and Slater mid-series.

From the article:

''The naming of an expanded preliminary squad is expected to include the entire squads from the opening Origin clash in Sydney, except for NSW winger Daniel Tupou, who will represent Tonga.''

Rugby League World Cup 2022: Australia’s preliminary squad to be delayed as State of Origin coaches Brad Fittler and Billy Slater ask not to meet until end of interstate series (smh.com.au)

I don't think Tupou should be playing Origin.

How the hell can Tonga, Samoa, PNG and Fiji name prelim squads if Australia insist on an extended squad of 50 players. FFS that is ridiculous. At least 6 players in that Origin series might be running out for countries other than Australia. 

8 minutes ago, Scubby said:

How the hell can Tonga, Samoa, PNG and Fiji name prelim squads if Australia insist on an extended squad of 50 players. FFS that is ridiculous. At least 6 players in that Origin series might be running out for countries other than Australia. 

I don't see the problem. Teams name the players they want and then the players can say yes or no thanks. It really isn't that complicated.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Farmduck said:

I don't see the problem. Teams name the players they want and then the players can say yes or no thanks. It really isn't that complicated.

So everyone can name 50? England can name Victor, Radley, Sam Walker. Wales/Australia/Tonga can all name Tyson Frizell

France can name Bevan French?

2 minutes ago, Scubby said:

So everyone can name 50? England can name Victor, Radley, Sam Walker. Wales/Australia/Tonga can all name Tyson Frizell

France can name Bevan French?

When players register with the NRL (and probably the RFL) they nominate their preferred eligible country for national representation and, if relevant, their heritage country. These databases of players are available to each country's selectors and they can pick anyone who qualifies for their country. The player ultimately has the option of not playing for any selected country for any, or no, reason.

This is a preliminary squad. The WC squads for the 2017 WC weren't settled until early October and I expect this year will be the same.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Farmduck said:

When players register with the NRL (and probably the RFL) they nominate their preferred eligible country for national representation and, if relevant, their heritage country. These databases of players are available to each country's selectors and they can pick anyone who qualifies for their country. The player ultimately has the option of not playing for any selected country for any, or no, reason.

This is a preliminary squad. The WC squads for the 2017 WC weren't settled until early October and I expect this year will be the same.

Aye, it's just where we are as a sport, we don't need to get our knickers in a twist over this. 

I just thought it notable that Tupou is having his cake and eating it, in ''electing'' for Oz but saying outright (if this journo is on the money) that he's going to play for Tonga.

It just looks like a blatant gaming of the system to me, and I don't think it reflects well on him or on NSW for picking him.

Presumably, Staggs and the others will be named in the preliminary Oz squad and then have a decision to make post Origin...

Edited by StandOffHalf

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

Aye, it's just where we are as a sport, we don't need to get our knickers in a twist over this. 

It is useful, at times like this, that Aussies don't really care about internationals and the media here don't care about RL at all.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

8 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Vodafone have come on as a partner it seems.

That's a positive. I imagine it's come out of their involvement with NZ and the Pacific nations.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

26 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

It is useful, at times like this, that Aussies don't really care about internationals and the media here don't care about RL at all.

There are some annoying snippets in the article but I'm not sure the organisers really need this kind of squad notice. If it is for a real purpose the approach they are taking works just fine. 

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

There are some annoying snippets in the article but I'm not sure the organisers really need this kind of squad notice. If it is for a real purpose the approach they are taking works just fine. 

Yeah, the piece that made me go ''pfffftttt'' was referring to NZ, Tonga, and Samoa as Oz's main rivals.

2 hours ago, StandOffHalf said:

I just thought it notable that Tupou is having his cake and eating it, in ''electing'' for Oz but saying outright (if this journo is on the money) that he's going to play for Tonga.

It just looks like a blatant gaming of the system to me, and I don't think it reflects well on him or on NSW for picking him.

Presumably, Staggs and the others will be named in the preliminary Oz squad and then have a decision to make post Origin...

To be honest, I am glad that Tupou has said it (if he has) and it has clearly not effected his selection.

You either say that State of Origin is just for Kangaroo players or it is not.  If it is not then just have the State of Origin and national eligibility and representation completely independent of each other.  There are players eligible for State of Origin who play for New Zealand so they are not included but players who have represented Samoa, Tonga, PNG etc who are in. It is all rather silly.

• Like 3

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

14 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

To be honest, I am glad that Tupou has said it (if he has) and it has clearly not effected his selection.

You either say that State of Origin is just for Kangaroo players or it is not.  If it is not then just have the State of Origin and national eligibility and representation completely independent of each other.  There are players eligible for State of Origin who play for New Zealand so they are not included but players who have represented Samoa, Tonga, PNG etc who are in. It is all rather silly.

Yep, in a sport with so many heritage players it just seems odd to pick which countries are OK for Origin and which aren't.

I know Taumalolo is very proud to have grown up in QLD but he can't play for them as things stand.

I would much prefer Origin to be open to anybody who meets the residency criteria - regardless of which nation they represent.

• Like 2