Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

24 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

The evidence that relying on Australia to care about IRL is pretty much insurmountable. Not sound strategy is based around them as a nation or tv market for Internationals. 

Any international strategy that doesn't have Australia as a key part of it is worth zero. 

It's very childish to hold grudges like this that would lead to terrible decisions. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, StandOffHalf said:

That Ladies' Origin game from Canberra was a high intensity and enjoyable game. Really enjoyable curtain-raiser for a big rep weekend.

I think it probably was the most absorbing women's match that I've watched.

It was only a few years ago that the women kickers could rarely get the distance on kicks from the sideline, now they put them over regularly and last night we had a game which probably would have gone into extra time but for a sideline kick hitting the upright. 

I think it really is indicative how far the women`s game has come in such a short time.

Edited by The Rocket
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Dave T said:

Any international strategy that doesn't have Australia as a key part of it is worth zero. 

It's very childish to hold grudges like this that would lead to terrible decisions. 

Indeed. A wise strategy would be to play Australia when we can but move heaven and earth to develop quality matches on top of that too.

Let's face it if it wasn't for Covid we'd have had an Ashes series that would have been worth millions and would have been a boon to the RFL. No other opposition can do that.

• Like 2

Just now, Damien said:

Indeed. A wise strategy would be to play Australia when we can but move heaven and earth to develop quality matches on top of that too.

Let's face it if it wasn't for Covid we'd have had an Ashes series that would have been worth millions and would have been a boon to the RFL. No other opposition can do that.

Yep, a successful world cup with over 50k for England v Samoa can hopefully support the strategy of widening our opponents. 

The GB tour to NZ shows that getting crowds away from home is still challenging. 

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Yep, a successful world cup with over 50k for England v Samoa can hopefully support the strategy of widening our opponents. 

The GB tour to NZ shows that getting crowds away from home is still challenging. 

Any Southern hemisphere tour without Australia will lose money, history shows that. Tonga these days may provide an exception but once you throw in other poorly attended games it becomes a different proposition. We really need NZ to start getting good crowds for England games.

Similarly Australia will never ditch England and go all in for Southern hemisphere games because the money for them as always been touring England.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Damien said:

Any Southern hemisphere tour without Australia will lose money, history shows that. Tonga these days may provide an exception but once you throw in other poorly attended games it becomes a different proposition. We really need NZ to start getting good crowds for England games.

Similarly Australia will never ditch England and go all in for Southern hemisphere games because the money for them as always been touring England.

Yep. As we are seeing now, despite the game being far smaller in the UK, there is more commercial value and TV money for the international game here. 

Another partner comes on board:

The Rugby League World Cup 2021 (RLWC2021) has today announced CoinEx as its Official Cryptocurrency Trading Platform Partner.

Founded in 2017, CoinEx is a professional global cryptocurrency exchange. Dedicated to “Making Crypto Trading Easier”, CoinEx provides a highly secure, stable and efficient service for its three million global users.

It’s a first for the World Cup to be in a position to follow other sports in having a cryptocurrency company as a partner and follows the recent announcement of Vodafone as the tournament’s official Technology Partner.

https://www.rlwc2021.com/article/378/rlwc2021-working-with-global-brand-coinex-in-new-partnership

• Like 1

Tbf why would Nadine Dorries need to distinguish between rugby union and league? I expect the majority of female MPs couldn’t, particularly those who aren’t from and don’t have a seat in the RL heartlands. 

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Tbf why would Nadine Dorries need to distinguish between rugby union and league? I expect the majority of female MPs couldn’t, particularly those who aren’t from and don’t have a seat in the RL heartlands. 

Because it's her job and she has advisors to do that sort of stuff for her?

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

Because it's her job and she has advisors to do that sort of stuff for her?

I think she is the very reason the phrase "you can take a horse to water..." was first used isnt she? 

###### unbelievable.. honestly.. who advises this lot and why dont they bloody listen!!

12 minutes ago, Eddie said:

cos she's the blinking Culture and Sport minister, and it was a RLWC event. It's seriously disrespectful if you ask me 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Are you serious? 

19 minutes ago, Eddie said:

C'mon, chief. She was addressing a Rugby League World Cup event standing in front of Rugby League World Cup promotional material. It's a crass mistake.

Edited by Man of Kent
  • Like 1

There's a separate thread about Ms Dorries and the World Cup here.

Please use that one from now on, thanks.

I'm not moderating this in two places at once!

Also, it saves this thread from a potential lock.

• Like 2

Speaking on radio to James Graham today Brian To'o has confirmed that he will play for Samoa at the World Cup even if Australia selects him. 

Best in his position in the game for the last couple of seasons, likely 5 Penrith players in Samoa's starting backline now which is a big win on the cohesiveness front for them.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Something to bear in mind:

The organisers of the Rugby League World Cup in England have scheduled two potential dates for the final: Saturday, November 19, and Sunday, November 20.

The latter date has been set aside if Queen Elizabeth II dies towards the end of the tournament. Protocol dictates her funeral must be on a Saturday, followed by a week of mourning.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/why-queen-s-funeral-protocols-could-switch-world-cup-final-date-20220710-p5b0iq.html

I don't want to be too pessimistic about ticket sales, but I had a survey from organisers today which was heavily focused on whether I'd bought tickets yet and if not why not, and what would make me buy some. 

The survey is fair enough, but I can't help feeling it doesn't bode well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1