Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

6 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Make your mind up FFS!

I don't complain about ticket offers. It doesn't bother me as much as it does others. I wish we could sell out games without the need, but I accept that sales offers are just part of the way of the world. 

The pricing for this tournament is too expensive. I hope I am wrong and just being tight and they are selling well, but the noises we have heard are not positive. 

As a direct comparison, I bought tickets for the women's Euros a couple of weeks back for £15 for adults and £7.50 for kids. A directly comparable game at the same ground for the same seats is £25 and £15 at RLWC. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, gingerjon said:

500,000 tickets out of c.700,000 available have been sold (for reference).

I know someone worked out how many tickets are available for the RLWC but I can't find the number right now.

It will be an interesting comparison though.

To keep the reference going, and to show the impact that a visible England performance can have ... there was *some* (albeit limited) availability for the QFs, SF and F the last time I looked. They are all now showing as sold out.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I also received a survey today.  I’ve tickets to England v Samoa at St James in Newcastle and Tonga v Cook Islands in Middlesbrough.  Looking forward to both matches.  I might look to go to Scotland v Fiji at Kingston Park too but not too fussed.  I’ll decide nearer the time I guess.

I reckon the Newcastle England match including the opening ceremony will sell out.  The one at Boro will definitely not, nowhere near.  The pricing appears to be around Premier League football levels- cheaper than Rugby Union World Cup at St James.  

1 minute ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

I don't want to be negative however seems the ticketing for the RLWC is in a total mess.

Can you explain why?

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

56 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

I don't want to be negative however seems the ticketing for the RLWC is in a total mess.

What a shock, hold the front page!! 

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

30 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

In more positive news, the England v Brazil women's opener at Headingley has already sold over 5,000 tickets!

Is there a link to that info?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

18 hours ago, Coastal_Geordie said:

I also received a survey today.  I’ve tickets to England v Samoa at St James in Newcastle and Tonga v Cook Islands in Middlesbrough.  Looking forward to both matches.  I might look to go to Scotland v Fiji at Kingston Park too but not too fussed.  I’ll decide nearer the time I guess.

I reckon the Newcastle England match including the opening ceremony will sell out.  The one at Boro will definitely not, nowhere near.  The pricing appears to be around Premier League football levels- cheaper than Rugby Union World Cup at St James.  

The pricing for Boro is odd. Both stands across the touchline have a minimum price of £45 for adults. 

For a 35k capacity in Middlesborough for Tonga v Cook Islands, that just seems weird. 

It should also be noted that they do appear to have opened all of the ground for that match too. They don't seem to be doing the staggered opening that they have in the past. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

The pricing for Boro is odd. Both stands across the touchline have a minimum price of £45 for adults. 

For a 35k capacity in Middlesborough for Tonga v Cook Islands, that just seems weird. 

It should also be noted that they do appear to have opened all of the ground for that match too. They don't seem to be doing the staggered opening that they have in the past. 

I seem to remember reading something a couple of weeks ago where the organisers have admitted that that game and the Coventry one will both be the toughest sells which does make it strange that the highest ticket bracket covers so much of the ground. Coventry seems to be a bit better spread out, not as much in the highest bracket. Quite frankly I'd see it as a win if those grounds are even just half full. 

Edited by The Hallucinating Goose
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I seem to remember reading something a couple of weeks ago where the organisers have admitted that that game and the Coventry one will both be the toughest sells which does make it strange that the highest ticket bracket covers so much of the ground. Coventry seems to be a bit better spread out, not as much in the highest bracket. Quite frankly I'd see it as a win if those grounds are even just half full. 

I'm loathe to be too critcial of the organisers, as they have done so much good stuff so far, but the pricing strategy appears all over the place. That said, if they have reasons for inconsistent pricing, then fair enough, maybe they have sponsor prepared to buy certain tickets.

A few examples though of weird pricing.

NZ matches. At Warrington it is £40 to stand in the South Stand, which is the same price for some North and East Stand seating. These offerings are just not the same category. For another NZ game you can get seats for £25 at Hull. All standing at Leeds for NZ games is only £25. 

On the Coventry game that you mention, it is £55 to sit behind the posts. I fear we are giving ourselves a really tough job here and we'll end up with huge sections of empty seats, unless they are working miracles behind the scenes.

It's as though they haven't worked out what pricing they should have for terracing. At Warrington it goes up to £40, and even £30 for PNG v Cook Islands. At Newcastle for Scotland v Italy it is £35 for covered standing. Yet at St Helens standing never goes above £25 and that includes games including Tonga and Australia.

Tonga v Wales at St Helens has probably half of the stadium available for £30 or less, starting at £20.

Tonga v Cooks at Middlesborough has the vast majority of the ground at £40+ and starts at £25 in the lower corners.

It all looks like a car crash waiting to happen.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I'm loathe to be too critcial of the organisers, as they have done so much good stuff so far, but the pricing strategy appears all over the place. That said, if they have reasons for inconsistent pricing, then fair enough, maybe they have sponsor prepared to buy certain tickets.

NZ matches. At Warrington it is £40 to stand in the South Stand, which is the same price for some North and East Stand seating. These offerings are just not the same category. For another NZ game you can get seats for £25 at Hull. All standing at Leeds for NZ games is only £25. 

On the Coventry game that you mention, it is £55 to sit behind the posts. I fear we are giving ourselves a really tough job here and we'll end up with huge sections of empty seats, unless they are working miracles behind the scenes.

It's as though they haven't worked out what pricing they should have for terracing. At Warrington it goes up to £40, and even £30 for PNG v Cook Islands. At Newcastle for Scotland v Italy it is £35 for covered standing. Yet at St Helens standing never goes above £25 and that includes games including Tonga and Australia.

Tonga v Wales at St Helens has probably half of the stadium available for £30 or less, starting at £20.

Tonga v Cooks at Middlesborough has the vast majority of the ground at £40+ and starts at £25 in the lower corners.

I think about 50 days out from the competition you will see a big ticket price drop and last minute advertising drive among the RL community. 

They seem to recognise the core RL audience will buy late and will want a lower price.

Pricing structure so far is aimed at event goers more used to higher prices, cheap tickets might actually put them off. Plus it's revenue banked with the knowledge you can have another crack later on.

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

1 minute ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

I think about 50 days out from the competition you will see a big ticket price drop and last minute advertising drive among the RL community. 

They seem to recognise the core RL audience will buy late and will want a lower price.

Pricing structure so far is aimed at event goers more used to higher prices, cheap tickets might actually put them off. Plus it's revenue banked with the knowledge you can have another crack later on.

I think it's a flawed strategy. They are clearly going to have to sell tickets for multiple games to some segments of fans and setting prices at an inflated and inconsistent level is risky. 

I suspect there is no evidence for the point that cheap prices puts people off. 

25 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I'd be really interested in knowing how ticket sales for the Leeds semi final are going given the pricing.

It makes sense relative to (some of) the group game pricing but it's pretty expensive.

• Like 1

Watching the Women's Euros and seeing huge empty sections of seating really should be a kick up the backside to us. Women's football is riding a bit of a crest of a wave at the moment, has a lot more financial clout behind it, benefits from thousands of overseas fans and is still likely to be comparable to our 2013 tournament. 

A key reason behind those crowds we got in 2013 were due to heavy discounting, we should be well away from that, but multiplying the price for tickets by five or six times seems foolish. 

6 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I'd be really interested in knowing how ticket sales for the Leeds semi final are going given the pricing.

It makes sense relative to (some of) the group game pricing but it's pretty expensive.

If we fail to tap into the event and corporate crowd, we will have huge sections of £110 and £85 seats empty. 

When people talk about the event crowds, they can sometimes ignore the fact that the Women's Euros and Commonwealth Games this year are very affordable. 

I just don't recognise the pricing as relevant for an RL event. But I hope I am wrong and underestimating them. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

For another NZ game you can get seats for £25 at Hull. All standing at Leeds for NZ games is only £25.

I'll be at NZ v Jamaica and sat in the cheapest seats which are the corners and the far ends of the upper west stand. Corners always seem to be the cheapest seats but I never mind sitting in the corner. I sit in a block near the corner for regular season games at the MKM anyway. I'll try to get in the upper west because while I'll be a bit further away from the pitch I'll get a better view across more of the field. I presume corner tickets are always cheaper because organisers assume the view is worse but as I say, I really don't find it too much of a problem and getting only a miniscule better view is not going to persuade me to pay an extra £20 or so. 

12 hours ago, The Future is League said:

Seems like the perfect opportunity for a SL team or even a county like Cumbria to offer to play them- with Workington losing their WC games would be great to get the Aussies up to Cumbria for a warm up match - the marras would pack it out.

Someone pick up the phone.....👍

• Like 1

I think there will be an element of community giveaways to schools/certain groups etc.  I don’t see a wholesale reduction in price however.  With that you heavily frustrate any who bought earlier and paid full price.  I can see the organisers being more comfortable with empty seats than giving away value.  

I agree completely that the Tonga match at Boro will be a really hard sell.  As far as I am aware RL has zero presence on Teeside and it is among the most deprived areas of the country. 

• Like 2