Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

1 hour ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

There's a pretty big podcast in Aus called Bloke in a Bar - they discussed Radley specifically this week and international/Origin eligibility in general. They seem to think there's news coming that Origin and International eligibility will be completely separated after the WC, not least of all because of the sheer number of pacific island heritage origin players expected to put their hands up to play for those nations. Arguably the most notable being the Panthers trio of Luai, Crichton and To'o. They're held up as doing great things for western Sydney and are hugely proud of the area they're from, but equally all are expected to say they want to play for Samoa this WC. I've not heard a strong enough argument yet as to why this shouldn't be allowed to happen. The only rule i'd ask to be put in place is that there's no international switching anymore, regardless of 'tiers'. 

I've got no issue with someone playing for Queensland and Samoa. One is a state, the other a nation.

What I don't like is 'New Zealand and Tonga international'. That's what cheapens it, in my view.

Edited by Man of Kent
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, RP London said:

absolutely.. get rid of switching.. pin your colours to the mast and go from there.. eligibility is fine, its inline with citizenship rules for the most part, but the switching, i think, is where the "comedy value" of international allegiance comes in.

The only reason people are switching is because they are scared of not being selected to play Origin if they pledge their allegiance to a country other than Australia. Jerome Luai is as passionate a Samoan player as there is but has felt he had to keep his mouth shut during Origin to get selected. Same with Api Koroisau and Fiji (16 tests). It is not switching it is just stupid.

The game has a bigger opportunity with 5/6 hugely competitive nations than forcing the Origin/Australian line by stealth.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Scubby said:

The only reason people are switching is because they are scared of not being selected to play Origin if they pledge their allegiance to a country other than Australia. Jerome Luai is as passionate a Samoan player as there is but has felt he had to keep his mouth shut during Origin to get selected. Same with Api Koroisau and Fiji (16 tests). It is not switching it is just stupid.

The game has a bigger opportunity with 5/6 hugely competitive nations than forcing the Origin/Australian line by stealth.

But we get it here too its not just origin.. Morgan Knowles, Joe Philbin etc I know the argument is that it can help smaller nations but I don't buy it.. if they start to play better they move on to the bigger nation because they want to play against the bigger nations.. and that is the bit that could/should be fixed. Get the calendar sorted, make it so that you can lift a country rather than just yourself. The southern hemisphere is origin, the northern hemisphere is the calendar, Tonga come good so they get games v New Zealand, a strong samoa may have the same effect.. but if Ireland or Wales go well what happens? They need to build on it as a group even if it is a one off generation, the way to guarantee it is a one off is to not try, and we're only talking one or two games of internationals we're not talking a super league team in Dublin.

1 minute ago, RP London said:

But we get it here too its not just origin.. Morgan Knowles, Joe Philbin etc I know the argument is that it can help smaller nations but I don't buy it.. if they start to play better they move on to the bigger nation because they want to play against the bigger nations.. and that is the bit that could/should be fixed. Get the calendar sorted, make it so that you can lift a country rather than just yourself. The southern hemisphere is origin, the northern hemisphere is the calendar, Tonga come good so they get games v New Zealand, a strong samoa may have the same effect.. but if Ireland or Wales go well what happens? They need to build on it as a group even if it is a one off generation, the way to guarantee it is a one off is to not try, and we're only talking one or two games of internationals we're not talking a super league team in Dublin.

Without the switching option, Ireland and Scotland would essentially be pub teams. We can't have it both ways. It is a necessary evil sadly

Just now, Scubby said:

Without the switching option, Ireland and Scotland would essentially be pub teams. We can't have it both ways. It is a necessary evil sadly

then thats the way it is... but is it helping them at all with Philbin and Knowles to then say "do you know what I could get an England cap now" and turning their back?

Surely we can accept that some countries, even though they are home nations teams, are just at the same level as Germany or Holland in their development? 

They would be better placed with players who are going to stick it out and building a team/squad.

Then really concentrate effort on France and Wales who have the game developing etc I think the switching and giving artificial teams in say Scotland and Ireland (who's game is not shifting forwards) is causing us to miss the other opportunities. When we talk of wanting to play France and Wales its "what about Ireland and Scotland" where do they fit in.. well sadly they don't at the moment. Build the stronger bits then see where we are, but i just find it ridiculous that they'll be people with 10 caps for x country playing for another.. 

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Scotland should be a pub team tbh, there is virtually no rugby league played there. It's gone on too long now, and the IRL just ignore it.

• Like 3

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

1 hour ago, RP London said:

then thats the way it is... but is it helping them at all with Philbin and Knowles to then say "do you know what I could get an England cap now" and turning their back?

Surely we can accept that some countries, even though they are home nations teams, are just at the same level as Germany or Holland in their development? 

They would be better placed with players who are going to stick it out and building a team/squad.

Then really concentrate effort on France and Wales who have the game developing etc I think the switching and giving artificial teams in say Scotland and Ireland (who's game is not shifting forwards) is causing us to miss the other opportunities. When we talk of wanting to play France and Wales its "what about Ireland and Scotland" where do they fit in.. well sadly they don't at the moment. Build the stronger bits then see where we are, but i just find it ridiculous that they'll be people with 10 caps for x country playing for another.. 

100% agree

• Like 2

Has anyone any idea of how sales are going for the world cup,just had a quick browse at ticketing information and find the process more complicated than needs to be,why do I need to create a separate account with a ticketing agency?

• Like 2

Felise Kaufusi switches his allegiance from Australia to Tonga, Sitili Tupouniua just got ruled out for the season with an ACL injury so this would be welcome news for Tonga. Think we could be fairly confident he would've at the very least been in the Australian squad for the WC.

Not that they have an issue with backrow depth - Olakau'atu, Koloamatangi, Kaufusi, Fifita all as options for Tonga now.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Conflict of interest

They are both in with a shout of selection with all these Kanagaroo defections. Heard Big Mal was down the gym too in case big Papa defects to Samoa.

• Haha 1

I think i've asked this before, sorry.

How do Semi Finals work? If England win the group and then beat Wales in QF. Do we play in London or will i be really hating my adventure to Elland Sodding Road. Also, who do we play?

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

Just now, MattSantos said:

How do Semi Finals work? If England win the group and then beat Wales in QF. Do we play in London or will i be really hating my adventure to Elland Sodding Road. Also, who do we play?

England semi final is in London regardless (unless they get knocked out). 

• Like 3

Confirmation in the press release about the new England kit that they will be playing a warm up game on 7 October with details to follow

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

15 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Confirmation in the press release about the new England kit that they will be playing a warm up game on 7 October with details to follow

Thought that was already done as Fiji as it was supposed to be last year. 

2 hours ago, RP London said:

Thought that was already done as Fiji as it was supposed to be last year. 

I imagine it is but there hasn't been any further details (as far as I'm aware) since the shift to 2022.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

22 hours ago, MattSantos said:

England will play at Emirates guaranteed, providing they make it that far. If it all goes to form, we'll play Tonga, and it'll be Aus vs NZ at Elland Road in the other semi. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

I imagine it is but there hasn't been any further details (as far as I'm aware) since the shift to 2022.

Fair point...

Getting closer to the event I’m looking forward to it. I did decide on going to a few matches again but after looking at the prices and having a mare trying to log on the ticketing site, I’m going to leave it for now.

On 21/07/2022 at 11:30, nadera78 said:

Scotland should be a pub team tbh, there is virtually no rugby league played there. It's gone on too long now, and the IRL just ignore it.

Italy is even worse, at least Scotland have three or four active teams. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, The One said:

Getting closer to the event I’m looking forward to it. I did decide on going to a few matches again but after looking at the prices and having a mare trying to log on the ticketing site, I’m going to leave it for now.

Do you think it’s too expensive? 

18 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Do you think it’s too expensive? 

The lowest price tickets are fine, but after getting on I couldn’t find 3 together which is what I need. Next block up is a little more than I’d want to pay.

Edited by The One
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, The One said:

The lowest price tickets are fine, but after getting on I couldn’t find 3 together which is what I need. Next block up is a little more than I’d want to pay.

Plenty of standing tickets at most grounds.

• Like 1

Regards WC broadcast deal for Oz.

Bloke says he has spoken to Dutton, hope that means he`s talking the truth.

There are reports that a deal has been finalised and will be announced soon. Jon Dutton, the CEO of the event, is quoted to have said “deal is done and announcement is imminent. It’s a good deal. I am looking forward to it being announced”. This is according to Stuart Glendinning, and was emailed out to the Rugby League Uncovered email database following a meeting he had with Dutton.