Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

2 hours ago, MattSantos said:

Semi final tickets arent cheap are they!?

Still some left in the cheapest band (£30/£15) for both semis. You can't get tickets to a standard football match in London for those prices, so seems reasonable to me for a world event semi final.

• Like 1

On 22/07/2022 at 14:49, MattSantos said:

I think i've asked this before, sorry.

How do Semi Finals work? If England win the group and then beat Wales in QF. Do we play in London or will i be really hating my adventure to Elland Sodding Road. Also, who do we play?

The semi will be in London if we come top of the group and beat PNG in the quarters cos I certainly can't see Wales getting out of that group. If we come 2nd in the group we will play Tonga in the quarters and probably Samoa in the semis in London. 

8 hours ago, FearTheVee said:

Not should they be - it’s the world cup semi final!

7 hours ago, Toby Chopra said:

Still some left in the cheapest band (£30/£15) for both semis. You can't get tickets to a standard football match in London for those prices, so seems reasonable to me for a world event semi final.

It is probably fair to say that the semi finals are the most expensive games of RL ever held in this country. 

The final the week later will take over that. 

We must have a real level of confidence to charge those prices for a semi final not including England. 

If we get 100k for those 2 games, they will be absolutely justified. I hope they are. 

10 hours ago, Dave T said:

You know one is at Elland Rd don't you? 😉

Joking aside, it has really thrown me that the semi final at the Emirates with guaranteed England presence (should they make the semi final stage) does not have a different pricing scale to the semi final taking place in the area which has had loads of other matches and which will be full of people hoping England win the semi final so they can spend money on expensive tickets for the final.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

17 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

The semi will be in London if we come top of the group and beat PNG in the quarters cos I certainly can't see Wales getting out of that group. If we come 2nd in the group we will play Tonga in the quarters and probably Samoa in the semis in London. 

It’s strange that groups A and B are on one side of the draw and C/D on the other - ie Aus and NZ will have to play eachother in the semis even if one of them doesn’t win their group. Maybe done to give England the best chance of reaching the final. 

43 minutes ago, Eddie said:

It’s strange that groups A and B are on one side of the draw and C/D on the other - ie Aus and NZ will have to play eachother in the semis even if one of them doesn’t win their group. Maybe done to give England the best chance of reaching the final. 

I presume that is the reason. It means as well that if England come 2nd in the group, which is a real possibility, then should they beat Tonga in the quarters they will have to play Samoa again in the semis. 

Just now, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I presume that is the reason. It means as well that if England come 2nd in the group, which is a real possibility, then should they beat Tonga in the quarters they will have to play Samoa again in the semis. 

We really need to win the group! At a packed Emirates we’d have a decent chance of beating Tonga, would be a great occasion. 

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

We really need to win the group! At a packed Emirates we’d have a decent chance of beating Tonga, would be a great occasion. 

Oh I agree, us RL fans have been crying out to get Tonga over here since 2017 to show people not in the know just how fantastic these Pacific Islands are and this is the perfect opportunity. The media can do features on how close it was last world cup and the revenge of beating GB (personally I pretend that tour didn't happen) and talk about Tonga becoming the first 2nd tier nation to beat Aus. There's so much you could do with such a game. The entire tournament comes down to the very first game of it in the end. Whoever wins at St James' Park tops the group. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

What's strange about it? It's common to have two sides of a draw and arguably Tonga are every bit a threat as either Australia or NZ.

9 minutes ago, Damien said:

What's strange about it? It's common to have two sides of a draw and arguably Tonga are every bit a threat as either Australia or NZ.

Indeed. When the world cup starts, it will be nearly 3 years since Australia last won a game. Tonga have won their last two games, one against GB, one against Australia. 

20 minutes ago, Damien said:

Is it common to do that? Most sports don’t. Football only have one iirc, by necessity when the WC was in Korea/Japan. 

Not sure if we've had the link up but the England v Brazil game is on course to be the best attended standalone women’s rugby game of either code ever played in this country.

Edited by gingerjon
  • Like 4

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

10 minutes ago, Damien said:

This was the 2018 World Cup. It's very common in Football:

th-2023339024.jpg

Thanks, I stand corrected, always thought first and second in each group went into different halves of the draw. I’d prefer it that way too, so two teams can’t meet twice until the final. 

Edit - that isn’t right mate, England played Belgium in the groups and then the third place play off, they were in different halves of the draw. 

Edited by Eddie

19 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Not sure if we've had the link up but the England v Brazil game is on course to be the best attended standalone rugby game of either code ever played in this country.

Sorry if I'm being daft but could you elaborate on what this game is and how it's the best attended?

Edit:  Sorry I am being daft, it's the womens opener.  Apols.

Edited by FearTheVee
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, FearTheVee said:

Sorry if I'm being daft but could you elaborate on what this game is and how it's the best attended?

Edit:  Sorry I am being daft, it's the womens opener.  Apols.

Sorry, my error in missing the word “women’s” out of my post. I’ll go back and edit.

6 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Thanks, I stand corrected, always thought first and second in each group went into different halves of the draw. I’d prefer it that way too, so two teams can’t meet twice until the final. 

Edit - that isn’t right mate, England played Belgium in the groups and then the third place play off, they were in different halves of the draw. 

I don't follow to be honest. They both lost their semi finals so played for third place.