Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

24 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Not sure if we've had the link up but the England v Brazil game is on course to be the best attended standalone women’s rugby game of either code ever played in this country.

Where have you seen that? Is that based on sales so far? 

3 minutes ago, Damien said:

I don't follow to be honest. They both lost their semi finals so played for third place.

Exactly, and if they’ve won their semis they’d have played in the final - or they didn’t meet in the semi final so were in different halves of the draw. 

5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Where have you seen that? Is that based on sales so far? 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 minutes ago, Damien said:

I don't follow to be honest. They both lost their semi finals so played for third place.

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Exactly, and if they’ve won their semis they’d have played in the final - or they didn’t meet in the semi final so were in different halves of the draw. 

Whilst I don't think it's an issue at all, that tournament is different to ours. Up to the semis, the draw is split between the top and bottom on that visual, and at semi final stage there is crossover, which can't happen in RLWC. 

But that's fine, we can use whatever format we want. It's a little more like a tennis knockout stage, I quite like that you can plot the route easily. 

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Thanks. Its stories like this that need to be pushed all over the place now. This will make me sort my plans for that women's game. 

Disappointed that the wording around sellout for the opener and final is a little weak. Hopefully that's just being Conservative though. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Whilst I don't think it's an issue at all, that tournament is different to ours. Up to the semis, the draw is split between the top and bottom on that visual, and at semi final stage there is crossover, which can't happen in RLWC. 

But that's fine, we can use whatever format we want. It's a little more like a tennis knockout stage, I quite like that you can plot the route easily. 

There are twice as many teams though. There are still 2 sides to the draw, it's not that unusual what our World Cup is doing.

26 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Thanks. Its stories like this that need to be pushed all over the place now. This will make me sort my plans for that women's game. 

Disappointed that the wording around sellout for the opener and final is a little weak. Hopefully that's just being Conservative though. 

Yep the biggest game for an opener was the 45,052 so if the media release was themed on this then that was fine.

I actually think selling out St James Park will be the least of their worries. It is the pricing around some standard group games and quarter finals which is the big worry. Completely unnecessary.

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

I have just noticed that this is a double header, and not a standalone women's game of RL. 

God knows why it's a double header, but it is. 

It's two women's games though, isn't it? Hence the possible record.

And the answer is: because the delivery of the women's tournament shows a crippling lack of thought or ambition.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

And the answer is: because the delivery of the women's tournament shows a crippling lack of thought or ambition.

Respect

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Just as I added tickets to my basket, I thankfully noticed that the game kicks off at 2.30 on a Tuesday so I haven't wasted my money! 

My point about this 'standalone' point, means that if they are going down that route, they will exclude the WC Final later in the tournament as being a record crowd. 

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

My point about this 'standalone' point, means that if they are going down that route, they will exclude the WC Final later in the tournament as being a record crowd. 

Well, no, that can be a record crowd for a women's game - just like The Hundred did with its double headers.

But you already know my opinion on the women's final being a curtain raiser.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Well, no, that can be a record crowd for a women's game - just like The Hundred did with its double headers.

I can handle the final as a double header for now. I'd imagine the majority would like the opportunity to play at Old Trafford with a big crowd there. World Cup final crowds do come early and tend to stay.

However, in 2025 you would hope that the WC finals would be part of a weekend of individual events. If you really want a double header then the Youth WC should precede the men's final. The women's should be able to command a significant crowd at a major stadium. We have to be over that not being the logical thing and quickly!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I've only just looked at the women's tournament, and tbh, I'm shocked at how it is being staged. 

England opener at 2.30pm on a Tuesday in Leeds. 

Semi final double header at York on a Monday night from 5pm.

I hope it goes well, I was hoping to watch plenty of it, that may not be the case. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Scubby said:

I can handle the final as a double header for now. I'd imagine the majority would like the opportunity to play at Old Trafford with a big crowd there. World Cup final crowds do come early and tend to stay.

However, in 2025 you would hope that the WC finals would be part of a weekend of individual events. If you really want a double header then the Youth WC should precede the men's final. The women's should be able to command a significant crowd at a major stadium. We have to be over that not being the logical thing and quickly!

Old Trafford now refusing to let people take bevvies to their seats may hinder the women’s crowd. I’d probably have gone for the whole thing if I could sit there watching with a pint but probably won’t bother now, maybe just the second half. 

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

Old Trafford now refusing to let people take bevvies to their seats may hinder the women’s crowd. I’d probably have gone for the whole thing if I could sit there watching with a pint but probably won’t bother now, maybe just the second half. 

Isn't that just an SLE policy for the Grand Final, because of trouble in the bowl? 

Hopefully that won't be a thing for the RLWC Finals. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

You’d rather stand in a pub / on a concourse than watch the womens World Cup final live?

6 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Such a shame that a few idiots spoil it for the majority of us, however in saying that 2 weeks ago i watched Kent v Northamptonshire in the county championship 3 days in a row without having one drink (Only coffee and tea) and i actually enjoyed the game more:)

Paul