Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

2 hours ago, Chris22 said:

To take the women's Euros as a comparison. Plenty of matches have had plenty of empty seats but the big matches haven't and that still gives the impression of a successful tournament.

To add a bit of context to that, all four games at Leigh were sold out (albeit on a smaller capacity compared to RLWC) but there were still quite a few empty seats because of sponsors tickets not being used directly opposite the cameras. I believe it was a similar story for even the England games at Brighton and Southampton but didn’t seem to be last night and you’d hope Wembley would be similar. 

6 hours ago, Eddie said:

Interesting comments from John Dutton about selling out the opening game, 2 x semis and final of the WC. He must be very confident to come out with a statement like that - good news. 

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/rugby-league-world-cup-record-breaking-crowds/

What's interesting as well is he says they expect two thirds of tickets sales to be completed from August onwards so they don't seem worried by the low ticket sales so far, more that they were actually expecting it and reckon there'll be a big rush in the next couple of months. I haven't bought mine yet and from comments on here it sounds like a lot of others haven't. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

Let's hope that is well placed confidence. 

Assuming 200k for those 4 games, which would be just short of sell outs, and assuming 25k for the other England group games, we'd need a 10k average from the remaining games to hit 500k. Which should be achievable. 20k average to hit 750k total which could be a stretch. 

Its good news that there is plenty of advertising budget for the run up to the tournament. 

Bit of a downgrade on the 1 million tickets they were proclaiming at the launch though...

1 hour ago, GeordieSaint said:

The England games, the SFs and the Final will be full houses. 

Maximising sales for the other games will be hard work, less probably Headingley.

There is a lot of availability for the Emirates match. I imagine a lot of the sell around that will follow the appearance of England on FTA TV.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, GeordieSaint said:

The England games, the SFs and the Final will be full houses. 

Maximising sales for the other games will be hard work, less probably Headingley.

We should see some decent crowds at the likes of Wire, Saints, Leigh etc - it may be a problem filling them for every game, but hopefully all looking good. 

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

We should see some decent crowds at the likes of Wire, Saints, Leigh etc - it may be a problem filling them for every game, but hopefully all looking good. 

Got to hope that the sheer number of games doesn't impact the attendances in the NW. The 3rd game at each may be very difficult on top of the Wigan and Warrington QFs and England at Bolton, or in say St Helens' case, might just depress all 3 attendances.

The higher ticket prices to me implies relying on relative locals, rather than a lot of travelling support from across the M62, and it is a lot of games.

• Like 1

Just now, Tommygilf said:

Got to hope that the sheer number of games doesn't impact the attendances in the NW. The 3rd game at each may be very difficult on top of the Wigan and Warrington QFs and England at Bolton, or in say St Helens' case, might just depress all 3 attendances.

The higher ticket prices to me implies relying on relative locals, rather than a lot of travelling support from across the M62, and it is a lot of games.

I think it'll be tough. Particularly with the complete absence of multi-buy deals. 

Even in 2013, the 2nd game at Wire didn't sellout and that was a tasty looking Samoa v Fiji Quarter Final. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I think it'll be tough. Particularly with the complete absence of multi-buy deals. 

Even in 2013, the 2nd game at Wire didn't sellout and that was a tasty looking Samoa v Fiji Quarter Final. 

The lack of multi buys is baffling to me, especially with so many games in the same venues.

Headingley was the same in 2013, with 2000 attendee difference between NZ vs PNG in the groups and NZ vs Scotland in the quarters. Even with multibuys. 

QFs are traditionally hard sells, there are 3 in Wigan, Warrington and Bolton. Even the other one is in Huddersfield.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

The lack of multi buys is baffling to me, especially with so many games in the same venues.

Headingley was the same in 2013, with 2000 attendee difference between NZ vs PNG in the groups and NZ vs Scotland in the quarters. Even with multibuys. 

QFs are traditionally hard sells, there are 3 in Wigan, Warrington and Bolton. Even the other one is in Huddersfield.

Mini season tickets for multiple games in the area should be on sale. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

I think there was originally but may be getting mixed up

15 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Wonder if that extends to Kayo subscription that is basically Foxtels sports channel via streaming. 

I hope so. 

The Rugby League Fan's Mantra for helping the game grow internationally is ten two-letter words - IF IT IS TO BE, IT IS UP TO ME.

7 minutes ago, The Partisan said:

Wonder if that extends to Kayo subscription that is basically Foxtels sports channel via streaming. 

I hope so. 

You’d think so, especially given the time difference (on demand etc). It also gives Fox League an additional five weeks/61 games of content.

Makes sense from a strategic POV.

47 minutes ago, The Partisan said:

I hope so. 

It'll definitely be on Kayo, the streaming service is a large segment of their market these days.

I'm honestly not too well versed on the anti-siphoning laws but I do know the Kangaroos are included in them. From an FTA perspective I'm not sure what the implication is here for an exclusive Pay TV deal. Usually it means the FTA channels have to be allowed first shot at the rights.

4 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

I thought Warrington had been given a quarter final to replace Bolton which was no longer available due to the change in dates. In the same way Wigan has replaced Liverpool.

The other venue is Hull.

It was originally Liverpool, Bolton, Huddersfield, Hull.

Edited by Barley Mow
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Bit of a downgrade on the 1 million tickets they were proclaiming at the launch though...

Yes it is. That 1 million target, equating to an average of over 30 000/match was probably always over optimistic, 500k with a stretch target of 750 are realistic. 

It was posted earlier that we need 550k to beat the best world Cup average, I think achieving that could be claimed as success 

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

4 minutes ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

Yes it is. That 1 million target, equating to an average of over 30 000/match was probably always over optimistic, 500k with a stretch target of 750 are realistic. 

It was posted earlier that we need 550k to beat the best world Cup average, I think achieving that could be claimed as success 

In reality, beating 2013 would give the biggest wc yet, and if they do it with current pricing, it should make a lot of money. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

In reality, beating 2013 would give the biggest wc yet, and if they do it with current pricing, it should make a lot of money. 

Without checking, I think 2013 was about 460k total attendance 

• Like 1

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand