Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

Good thing we didn't schedule the RLWC final for the Sunday - FIFA World Cup set to start one day earlier.  

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sports/qatar-world-cup-begin-one-day-earlier-than-planned-source-2022-08-10/

Probably means even fewer column inches in the Sunday papers for our final, but what could we do, it was those dates or cancel altogether.

I'll probably miss the FIFA opening match travelling back from Manchester, hopefully it won't put off other ticket buyers as I think the RLWC final isn't quite sold out yet. At least the opening England game hasn't been moved forward.  

1 hour ago, Toby Chopra said:

Good thing we didn't schedule the RLWC final for the Sunday - FIFA World Cup set to start one day earlier.  

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sports/qatar-world-cup-begin-one-day-earlier-than-planned-source-2022-08-10/

Probably means even fewer column inches in the Sunday papers for our final, but what could we do, it was those dates or cancel altogether.

I'll probably miss the FIFA opening match travelling back from Manchester, hopefully it won't put off other ticket buyers as I think the RLWC final isn't quite sold out yet. At least the opening England game hasn't been moved forward.  

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/why-queen-s-funeral-protocols-could-switch-world-cup-final-date-20220710-p5b0iq.html

"God save the Queen"

2 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Qatar vs Ecuador. Mouthwatering.

Opening matches of FIFA WC usually gets good viewing figures. Below 2014 stats, though figures went down slightly for 2018

https://worldcuptheguide.wordpress.com/2014/06/14/global-tv-ratings-high-for-the-opening-of-the-world-cup/

Edited by HawkMan

On 10/08/2022 at 11:43, Man of Kent said:

Two months out, I'd have expected to be able to book an advance train ticket by now. Weird that, as of now, you can book weekday tickets up to 7 November but there's no weekend tickets available for October. 

Presumably it's the same issue that has seen West Coast make all tickets unbookable in advance? Drivers working to rule and so companies cannot know their schedule in advance in order to sell tickets?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

23 hours ago, HawkMan said:

Opening matches of FIFA WC usually gets good viewing figures. Below 2014 stats, though figures went down slightly for 2018

https://worldcuptheguide.wordpress.com/2014/06/14/global-tv-ratings-high-for-the-opening-of-the-world-cup/

It's Qatar v Ecuador, mate. Slave state versus who even knows?

It'll rate higher than any match in the RLWC but I can't see this World Cup doing particularly well except for England matches. There's a pretty grim atmosphere surrounding it.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

10 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

It's Qatar v Ecuador, mate. Slave state versus who even knows?

It'll rate higher than any match in the RLWC but I can't see this World Cup doing particularly well except for England matches. There's a pretty grim atmosphere surrounding it.

I am really hoping for a massively successful RLWC however something inside me says that it will be mediocre.

OK I live in Kent which is not exactly RL heartland territory however one would think at least some people would know its on sadly i havant met anyone that is even aware of it apart from a few sports mad loons like me at my non league football club.

If RLWC think that the hardcore RL fans are going to rush and buy all the tickets in the run up to the tournament then they are severely disillusional it isn't going to happen they need to reach out to new markets.

One can see though the spin.

2 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

I am really hoping for a massively successful RLWC however something inside me says that it will be mediocre.

OK I live in Kent which is not exactly RL heartland territory however one would think at least some people would know its on sadly i havant met anyone that is even aware of it apart from a few sports mad loons like me at my non league football club.

If RLWC think that the hardcore RL fans are going to rush and buy all the tickets in the run up to the tournament then they are severely disillusional it isn't going to happen they need to reach out to new markets.

One can see though the spin.

That's hardly surprising though when there are no games in Kent and only 1 in the South East.

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

That's hardly surprising though when there are no games in Kent and only 1 in the South East.

Coincidentally, a friend in Kent has just been given a final ticket through his work.

His comment to me this morning was (paraphrasing), "You'd have thought someone might have mentioned rugby league even had a world cup".

20 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Coincidentally, a friend in Kent has just been given a final ticket through his work.

His comment to me this morning was (paraphrasing), "You'd have thought someone might have mentioned rugby league even had a world cup".

Sounds like you haven't been doing your job... 

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

He gets distracted quite easily. It's scary how long most of us have been avoiding work on here. You can always tell those #### boring days due to the length of the replies!

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Dave T said:

If I hadn't dragged him along to Quins RL multiple times and a couple of Challenge Cup finals, he'd not have taken the ticket.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, gingerjon said:

a friend in Kent

This is the sort of thing you say around Hastings to make yourself sound posh.

• Haha 3

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

16 hours ago, Dave T said:

Yep, everyone knows about the women's under-21s 3x3 basketball world cup that is coming up though.

• Haha 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

16 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

This is the sort of thing you say around Hastings to make yourself sound posh.

"Yes, we have a place there. It's more St Leonards, really ..."

16 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

Yep, everyone knows about the women's under-21s 3x3 basketball world cup that is coming up though.

I feel seen.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Gomersall said:

Sorry to be a downer, but isn't that... worryingly low? 

We've only sold 55% of 2013 sales with 9 weeks to go. 

I know they're planning on a late push, but I didn't realise it was coming from that far back. 

Or was this the same level as at this time in 2013?

30 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

Sorry to be a downer, but isn't that... worryingly low? 

We've only sold 55% of 2013 sales with 9 weeks to go. 

I know they're planning on a late push, but I didn't realise it was coming from that far back. 

Or was this the same level as at this time in 2013?

Well they've held back 75% of their marketing budget for the last 6 weeks so you'd expect sales should rise rapidly then.

• Like 1

Based on the fact that it is pretty easy to get tickets for pretty much any section you want for any game, I was pleased that we had sold a quarter of a million tickets. 

However, this is an RFL organisation, meaning that they have been known to tell bare faced lies on things like this. 

But at this stage, where promotion has been almost non-existent, I don't think that number is bad, if true. 

• Like 1