Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

46 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

My original suggestion was for the Challenge Cup final , because it regularly seems to produce empty main stands which looks poor on TV , so it was a solution for that problem 

So don't try to be ' clever ' point scoring isn't why I come on here , is that why you come on here ? 

Yes, sorry, that was a bit mean of me.

I should say that the ticketing set-up for the Challenge Cup final next year does look pretty straightforward and uncomplicated when compared to, say, the fiddly approach that the RLWC semi finals have adopted.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

Yes, sorry, that was a bit mean of me.

I should say that the ticketing set-up for the Challenge Cup final next year does look pretty straightforward and uncomplicated when compared to, say, the fiddly approach that the RLWC semi finals have adopted.

I haven't read any of this thread , I'll most likely only be making decisions on attending late in the day , not for financial reasons , just too busy to sort anything out yet 

7 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

I haven't read any of this thread , I'll most likely only be making decisions on attending late in the day , not for financial reasons , just too busy to sort anything out yet 

No one wants to go with you?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Sorry , don't see any irony at all , if it's live as in attendance or live as on a screen it's still ' live ' 

In many cases the screen option gives much better views than the attending one even in the best seats , but you don't get the atmosphere , the collective emotive experience 

Ring up Sky TV and say you're leaving if they don't discount.

15 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Ring up Sky TV and say you're leaving if they don't discount.

No interest in posting on this again , I only looked at it because I was referenced , especially replying to pointless posts from ' point scorers ' 

1 minute ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

I'm sure there will be a huge amount of ticket sales over the next 2 months.....but twice as many than where we're currently at?! Not a chance. 

If they can get it to half a million, surpassing the last WC here, then it won't have been a failure. 'Success' feels unachievable at this stage sadly. 

I think its quite possible. The organisers have openly said they have held back 75% of the advertising budget for the last 6 week and we know that many RL fans that are planning on going having bought tickets yet.

These things also have a tendency to snowball and build momentum when a tournament starts. I remember in 2013 when England group games against Ireland and Fiji were far from sold out then sold out in the week prior and then they became must see and sold out. A good start to the tournament is pretty essential though.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Damien said:

I think its quite possible. The organisers have openly said they have held back 75% of the advertising budget for the last 6 week and we know that many RL fans that are planning on going having bought tickets yet.

These things also have a tendency to snowball and build momentum when a tournament starts. I remember in 2013 when England group games against Ireland and Fiji were far from sold out then sold out in the week prior and then they became must see and sold out. A good start to the tournament is pretty essential though.

I hope you're right, mate! I want this tournament to be a huge success and whilst I have no doubt the product on the field will deliver, the audience these games a played in front matters as much IMO. 

• Like 1

Really believe the quality of a lot of the games will be top class, somehow the tournament needs to be able to make the national public aware of the strengths of the teams before it starts, some kind of programme on the BBC covering the NRL playoffs would be ideal especially with reference to the likes of samoa and tonga

A possible reason behind ticket pricing which I've seen branded as "outrageous", "extortion" and the like on another forum occurred to me in the shower this morning.

It's likely (even probable I would suggest) that the 25 million £ from the government was premised on the idea that there could be no better way to highlight the government's Northern Powerhouse initiative and show the public that it's working than to have a Major World Class Sporting Event (MWCSE for short) based in the North and plastered all over free to air TV.  If I'm right about it being pitched to the government that way, then the organizers have to deliver that Northern based MWCSE.  @Martyn Sadlerdo you think I might be onto something here?

In the government's eyes, a successful MWCSE almost certainly needs to have stadiums full of spectators who paid MWCSE level prices and if we're honest the prices set are at the low end of the range for such Events.  Comparing them to Premier League ticket prices, they're maybe even a little too cheap for any claim that this will be an MWCSE to be credible to outsiders.  At best they're rock bottom for that claim to withstand any scrutiny.

As for what might happen if the promised MWSCE isn't what the public and the government sees (and Sky for that matter), I hate to think.

Edited by Big Picture

1 hour ago, Big Picture said:

A possible reason behind ticket pricing which I've seen branded as "outrageous", "extortion" and the like on another forum occurred to me in the shower this morning.

It's likely (even probable I would suggest) that the 25 million £ from the government was premised on the idea that there could be no better way to highlight the government's Northern Powerhouse initiative and show the public that it's working than to have a Major World Class Sporting Event (MWCSE for short) based in the North and plastered all over free to air TV.  If I'm right about it being pitched to the government that way, then the organizers have to deliver that Northern based MWCSE.  @Martyn Sadlerdo you think I might be onto something here?

In the government's eyes, a successful MWCSE almost certainly needs to have stadiums full of spectators who paid MWCSE level prices and if we're honest the prices set are at the low end of the range for such Events.  Comparing them to Premier League ticket prices, they're maybe even a little too cheap for any claim that this will be an MWCSE to be credible to outsiders.  At best they're rock bottom for that claim to withstand any scrutiny.

As for what might happen if the promised MWSCE isn't what the public and the government sees (and Sky for that matter), I hate to think.

Yes , but let's not forget this MWSCE is arriving at the same time as +10% inflation , massive increases in gas/electric prices and widespread rail/bus strikes 

Not surprising some are being a bit cautious with their cash right now 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Yes , but let's not forget this MWSCE is arriving at the same time as +10% inflation , massive increases in gas/electric prices and widespread rail/bus strikes 

Not surprising some are being a bit cautious with their cash right now 

But this world cup was meant to beheld before inflation/strikes etc. Were the ticket sales any better for the original dates?  It wasnt called off until late in the build up.

6 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

But this world cup was meant to beheld before inflation/strikes etc. Were the ticket sales any better for the original dates?  It wasnt called off until late in the build up.

Yes , in the midst of the biggest pandemic for a century , where people were still apprehensive about sitting next to each other 

• Like 2

On 19/08/2022 at 18:57, Route66 said:

Really believe the quality of a lot of the games will be top class, somehow the tournament needs to be able to make the national public aware of the strengths of the teams before it starts, some kind of programme on the BBC covering the NRL playoffs would be ideal especially with reference to the likes of samoa and tonga

I don't really see why the BBC would cover the NRL playoffs - they hardly mention the SL playoffs so they arnt going to dedicate anytime to the NRL which 99% of the UK public haven't heard of.

I do agree the tournament will gain momentum as it starts and people get behind it - especially if England get a good start.

In 2013 I went to 3 group games but didn't book tickets until after the SL season was finished. I also went to the Wembley semi-final but didn't get tickets until England were confirmed as playing in the semi.

Just dont expect every ticket to be sold months from the start.

• Like 1

I'm interested in the opener, the game at the MKM, and the Bramhall Lane game. Haven't got tickets yet but will be at end of the month hopefully seen I've got a group of at least 4 of us to go with for traveling.

Already sorted the final beginning of last year. Can't wait for the WC, especially after this dismal Hull season!

• Like 2
Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

Some positivity on ticket sales: https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/world-cup-ticket-sales-latest-24830163

"The main milestones are to surpass the 476,000 sales in 2013 - that's the first number and we are confident we will do that," Dutton told Rugby League Live. "The women's Euros attracted around 571,000 ticket sales and we're confident we can achieve that too."

'All three England men's group games are on course to sell out, with the opener at St James' Park a major focus of tournament organisers. The opener of the wheelchair tournament at the Copper Box in London is also on track to be sold out, and England women's opener against Brazil at Headingley will be the biggest-attended standalone women's rugby league game in the northern hemisphere.'

It's all about selling out the opening England men, women and wheelchair games to generate momentum, it seems. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Some positivity on ticket sales: https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/world-cup-ticket-sales-latest-24830163

"The main milestones are to surpass the 476,000 sales in 2013 - that's the first number and we are confident we will do that," Dutton told Rugby League Live. "The women's Euros attracted around 571,000 ticket sales and we're confident we can achieve that too."

'All three England men's group games are on course to sell out, with the opener at St James' Park a major focus of tournament organisers. The opener of the wheelchair tournament at the Copper Box in London is also on track to be sold out, and England women's opener against Brazil at Headingley will be the biggest-attended standalone women's rugby league game in the northern hemisphere.'

It's all about selling out the opening England men, women and wheelchair games to generate momentum, it seems. 

I really hope they aren't using creative counting.  The 2013 WC number was for 28 men' s games,  they don't smash their target through 61 games this time.