Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

We've sorted our tickets out this week for the opener, the game the following day in Newcastle and the final. It's not as cheap as years gone by and that's a worry for some games but the England games look to be selling well and value is very good for a lot of the games outside of those. We've decided to leave the England game against France in Bolton due to the cheapest tickets left being £55 and instead will go to Lebanon vs Ireland, Tonga vs Wales and PNG vs Cook Island in the following days. Three good looking fixtures for a total of £60 is fabulous value and gives us the opportunity to watch lots of different teams. 

Ticket sales across the board should really start to ramp up now. Our group has got loads to buy yet. We'll probably do 3 of the 4 quarter finals and at least the London semi on top of the local group games. I absolutely loved 2013 and this one should be even better. I'm absolutely buzzing for that opening game. If we can get a full house for that game, it'll be a fantastic start and it should be a brilliant atmosphere. 

• Like 11

Currently bought:

England v Greece

England v France

England v Samoa

Scotland v Italy

Tonga v Wales 

Australia v Italy

PNG v Wales

QF 1

Semi 1

Semi 2

Final

Still hoping to buy:

France v Greece

Tonga v PNG

Wales v Cook Islands

Aus v Scotland

Lebanon v Ireland

PNG v Cook Islands

NZ v Ireland

Lebanon v Jamaica

Samoa v France

QF 2/3

QF 4

Only thing I'm waiting on is working out whether I will have the time to go to the extra ones. Dread to think of my fuel bill... 

• Like 11

4 hours ago, V02 said:

Currently bought:

England v Greece

England v France

England v Samoa

Scotland v Italy

Tonga v Wales 

Australia v Italy

PNG v Wales

QF 1

Semi 1

Semi 2

Final

Still hoping to buy:

France v Greece

Tonga v PNG

Wales v Cook Islands

Aus v Scotland

Lebanon v Ireland

PNG v Cook Islands

NZ v Ireland

Lebanon v Jamaica

Samoa v France

QF 2/3

QF 4

Only thing I'm waiting on is working out whether I will have the time to go to the extra ones. Dread to think of my fuel bill... 

Well done mate, great effort.

If there were some more people like you we could have a record total attendance of 700,000 but only 8 people actually attended...😆

• Haha 1

Huge ticket price backtrack incoming!

Main Image
Main Image
TicketsHospitalityShopStays & Experiences
Main Image
spacer15052020.png
We are working hard on your behalf and are listening to you
rlwc15052020b.png
At 10 am on Wednesday 7th September we will temporarily be taking RLWC2021 tickets off sale for 48 hours.

During this time, we will be reconfiguring stadium seating plans, running partner initiatives, and finalising broadcaster and other partner requirements within stadiums.

Due to recent high demand on our lower priced tickets, we will make as many Category D and E tickets available as we can, to ensure the tournament kick-off is accessible to as many people as possible.

The ticket price categories remain as originally set. Those that bought during the 2020 ballot will always have the best value tickets that RLWC2021 has offered.

At 1pm on Friday 9th September, we will be back on sale all the way through to the end of the tournament. We will release more limited availability seats as plans are finalised in each stadium. These include; 

🏉 £45 Cat E tickets for the Men and Women’s Finals

🏉 £30 Cat E tickets for England men vs Samoa in the top tier at St James’ Park

We’ll send you a further update on Friday so that you are amongst the first to know if any new tickets become available.

The RLWC2021 Ticketing Team
spacer15052020.png
footer02072020.png

myteam22052020.png
updatedetailsbtn22052020.png
rwc10092019o.png
Matthew Murtland
England
Main Image
footerlogo22052020.png
foundation11112021e.png
social11112021a.pngsocial11112021b.pngsocial11112021c.pngsocial11112021d.pngsocial11112021e.png
cazoo181120202.png
Privacy Policy | Terms & Conditions
No longer wish to receive our email updates? Click here to unsubscribe.
© 2021 RLWC2021 - All Rights Reserved
Rugby League World Cup 2021
Bonded Warehouse, 18 Lower Byrom Street, Manchester, M3 4AP

open
  • Haha 1

I think this will be formalising what they are already doing if you look closely when choosing tickets - squeezing the expensive seats and expanding the boundaries of the cheaper areas. As wise heads have already said, it needed doing. I'm delighted it's working. They may as well make obvious now what they've already started and push these cat D and E sales.

I think this is a good way of doing it given how late in the day it is. All the price bands are retained and so it doesn't scream discounting. 

• Like 2

Been stung with “deals” buying early for the Challenge Cup Final, so sympathise with those who have lost out. I had this World Cup down as “would be nice to go to” rather than “must go to” long before the cost of living rose, so I may get the odd ticket now. I know I’m not alone in that trail of thought either, trust in the game is so low. 

1 hour ago, Jughead said:

Been stung with “deals” buying early for the Challenge Cup Final, so sympathise with those who have lost out. I had this World Cup down as “would be nice to go to” rather than “must go to” long before the cost of living rose, so I may get the odd ticket now. I know I’m not alone in that trail of thought either, trust in the game is so low. 

Don't think it's as simple as that in this instance. As many have pointed out, the mid-tier categories (£45-£65 a ticket generally) have appeared quite broad on the stadium plans creating a disparity between a 'good' Category C seat and a 'bad' Category C seat, for instance.

Those who bought early (like me) were able to get the best seats in our respective category. I'd have been a bit miffed paying the same amount for some of the other areas included in my category. Expanding Categories E and D to cover some of these poorer seats seems like a natural correction of the pricing strategy rather than an attempt to give as many tickets as possible away.

Edited by Ray Cashmere
  • Like 3

Whilst I'm pretty annoyed by the absolute arrogance and stupidity of the pricing in the first place (plus the inconsistencies suggesting incompetence),  I am glad they are doing something now, and I think this is a relatively sensible way of doing it. Tickets haven't been issued yet and if they can reprice some areas then I don't think it is annoying as 50% off. 

I bought £30 tickets recently that had previously been priced at £70, so effectively a massive discount,  but in reality,  it just felt like a more sensible price for the ticket rather than the 2013 approach of almost giving tickets away with huge % off deals. 

• Like 1

I would add,  that this is on Jon Dutton,  and tbh,  pretty much confirms my judgement of him that he isn't good enough at this level. 

This kind of thing is unprecedented in a major tournament. Sure,  we can polish this up as a response to the cost of living crisis,  but in reality,  the terrible pricing has been obvious for a long,  long time. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

Basically,  they got the pricing wrong. Something we have said for a long time. 

It'll be interesting to see whether this is a drastic change,  because tbh,  I think it needs to be for some games. 

No, I think they’ve potentially been quite clever in the way they’ve done this. Only allowing you to buy price categories rather than choose specific blocks and seats… means they can later reduce prices without “technically” discounting, by changing the seat mix. 

The strategy to not sell in named blocks was clearly deliberately designed to enable this if needed later on. I quite like it. If you’ve bought a more expensive ticket, because you’re prepared to pay that price, all it means is you’re more likely to get an even better seat for the money you’ve paid (as the premium spots shrink closer to the centre line / front). Everyone wins. 

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

5 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

No, I think they’ve potentially been quite clever in the way they’ve done this. Only allowing you to buy price categories rather than choose specific blocks and seats… means they can later reduce prices without “technically” discounting, by changing the seat mix. 

The strategy to not sell in named blocks was clearly deliberately designed to enable this if needed later on. I quite like it. If you’ve bought a more expensive ticket, because you’re prepared to pay that price, all it means is you’re more likely to get an even better seat for the money you’ve paid (as the premium spots shrink closer to the centre line / front). Everyone wins. 

They have been selling in named blocks for ages now. 

7 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

I think you give them far too much credit and are presuming a level of planning and cunning that is unprecedented in RFL circles.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, Dave T said:

They have been selling in named blocks for ages now. 

Ah balls that blows my theory then… is it too late to delete my post 🤣🤣🤣 

Still, even though it’s reactive rather than strategic, this is at least a far better way of running a discounting strategy (or as the airlines and cinemas would say, “dynamic pricing”) than the blundering World Cups of old, with their voucher codes, giveaways and bloomin’ Groupon deals 

• Haha 1

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

I think you give them far too much credit and are presuming a level of planning and cunning that is unprecedented in RFL circles.

Yes, so it would seem! Ah well 🙄🤣🤣

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Ah balls that blows my theory then… is it too late to delete my post 🤣🤣🤣 

Still, even though it’s reactive rather than strategic, this is at least a far better way of running a discounting strategy (or as the airlines and cinemas would say, “dynamic pricing”) than the blundering World Cups of old, with their voucher codes, giveaways and bloomin’ Groupon deals 

Yep,  I've acknowledged this is far better than % off deals. 

Of course the best approach would have been to not charge £110 for sideline tickets for a semi final that won't feature England. 

Or top price tickets of £70 at Middlesbrough versus £40 in Leigh. 

Or £40 to stand at Wire when they are selling some seats at £25.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dave T said:

Whilst I'm pretty annoyed by the absolute arrogance and stupidity of the pricing in the first place (plus the inconsistencies suggesting incompetence),  I am glad they are doing something now, and I think this is a relatively sensible way of doing it. Tickets haven't been issued yet and if they can reprice some areas then I don't think it is annoying as 50% off. 

I bought £30 tickets recently that had previously been priced at £70, so effectively a massive discount,  but in reality,  it just felt like a more sensible price for the ticket rather than the 2013 approach of almost giving tickets away with huge % off deals. 

The pricing wasn't terrible though, not as Major World Class Sporting Events such as a World Cup go.  On the contrary, it was probably rock bottom compared to other MWCSEs.

They've come up against the very same limits which will constrain IMG in their efforts to bring in the new audience necessary for them to make any money from their association with the game: its current lack of appeal to the demographics for whom the prices you think are stupid (but in fact are cheap for an MWCSE such as a World Cup) would not be an issue while for the demographic to which the game currently does have appeal those prices are too high and get branded "stupid", "outrageous", "extortion" and the like.

More than likely, the pitch which landed the unprecedented government funding was all about giving the government an MWCSE based in the North (with full houses at those "stupid" prices) to showcase the success of its Northern Powerhouse initiative.  This price rejig would suggest that what they probably pitched to the government won't happen and they'll now be scrambling to get those full houses however they can.

What the government will make of the end result remains to be seen, and no doubt Sky is taking a keen interest too considering that they put the game on two years' notice to prove its value and the WC will take place at about the halfway point of those two years.  Another failure to achieve an ambition for the game will not be good for keeping either Sky or IMG interested.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Big Picture said:

They've come up against the very same limits which will constrain IMG in their efforts to bring in the new audience necessary for them to make any money from their association with the game: its current lack of appeal to the demographics for whom the prices you think are stupid (but in fact are cheap for an MWCSE such as a World Cup) would not be an issue while for the demographic to which the game currently does have appeal those prices are too high and get branded "stupid", "outrageous", "extortion" and the like.

I think we have made a terrible error in dismissing Rimmer when it's clear from this that we should have sacked Rugby League fans and brought in a new set to address this problem.

What do you think Sean McGuire would think about it?

• Haha 5

Although this is a WC discussion I am going off track. The problem with  game in the UK is that it's got stale and compared to the NRL looks to be played at half pace. Until that is sorted, support for the game won't increase. 

Unfortunately there are no big name players in the game  like there used to be. Those that could pull in a crowd and thrill them.

The game also made a big mistake in the way it handled the WP. Instead of encouraging them they did the opposite. Sure the team consisted of  Aussies. French  and Poms but they were building up a big following and down the track would have  attracted Canadian  and Americans to the game.

Finally playing the ball needs fixing before the WC.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Big Picture said:

The pricing wasn't terrible though, not as Major World Class Sporting Events such as a World Cup go.  On the contrary, it was probably rock bottom compared to other MWCSEs.

More than likely, the pitch which landed the unprecedented government funding was all about giving the government an MWCSE based in the North (with full houses at those "stupid" prices) to showcase the success of its Northern Powerhouse initiative.  This price rejig would suggest that what they probably pitched to the government won't happen and they'll now be scrambling to get those full houses however they can.

What the government will make of the end result remains to be seen, and no doubt Sky is taking a keen interest too considering that they put the game on two years' notice to prove its value and the WC will take place at about the halfway point of those two years.  Another failure to achieve an ambition for the game will not be good for keeping either Sky or IMG interested.

The pricing was terrible,  I've given clear examples of crazy pricing and inconsistencies. 

And tbh,  the evidence that the pricing is wrong is with me -  they are changing it.  So,  tbh,  you are just wrong. If people aren't prepared to pay the prices,  then the prices are wrong. 

Edited by Dave T
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, frank said:

Although this is a WC discussion I am going off track. The problem with  game in the UK is that it's got stale and compared to the NRL looks to be played at half pace. Until that is sorted, support for the game won't increase. 

Unfortunately there are no big name players in the game  like there used to be. Those that could pull in a crowd and thrill them.

The game also made a big mistake in the way it handled the WP. Instead of encouraging them they did the opposite. Sure the team consisted of  Aussies. French  and Poms but they were building up a big following and down the track would have  attracted Canadian  and Americans to the game.

Finally playing the ball needs fixing before the WC.

Yes,  this is off topic. 

• Like 1