Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

54 minutes ago, Dave T said:

No - If all goes with seeding, England will play Tonga at Arsenal. We can't meet the Aussies or Kiwis until the final. We are in separate sides of the draw.

The happy path for England is, Group Stages, QF at Wigan, Semi at Arsenal and Final at Old Trafford.

Cheers Dave, the website looks to be wrong then as it seems to suggest the winners of A and B will meet at Elland road assuming they win through. Interestingly, just saw an article which says England will play at Wigan in the QF wherever they finish in the group, meaning they will play at the Emirates in the semi in any case...which seems a bit dodgy but helps with planning!

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

53 minutes ago, Dave T said:

You know my thoughts on the organisation - they have got a fair bit wrong so far. I don't think not taking a game to Wales is one of those things. 

I absolutely loved the opener at Cardiff last time, but games in Wrexham and Neath were poor, and only Wrexham and Colwyn Bay are now covered by the NPH scheme.

Wrexham might have presented some interesting marketing opportunities given everything that's going on there. Just one of the Welsh group games would have been worth a punt. Not that the success of the tournament depends on it of course. 

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

42 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Wrexham might have presented some interesting marketing opportunities given everything that's going on there. Just one of the Welsh group games would have been worth a punt. Not that the success of the tournament depends on it of course. 

Aye,  no issues with Wrexham,  but in reality it isn't going to do much for the tournament either way. 

I'd rather another London game in a smaller ground tbh. 

• Like 1

Just now, Dave T said:

Aye,  no issues with Wrexham,  but in reality it isn't going to do much for the tournament either way. 

I'd rather another London game in a smaller ground tbh. 

I agree. The thing is North Wales isn't really on the radar for those in the South. Unless games are in Cardiff or Swansea I'm unsure as to how much real value there is. 

3 hours ago, Dave T said:

At Leigh they have Wales v Cook Islands priced at £40, £25, £15 (one of the cheapest games, sensible pricing imho).

At the same stadium, they then have Lebanon v Jamaica at £55, £35, £20. 

Absolutely bats*** crazy.

That’s nuts. As in “chuck a dart at a dartboard to set pricing plans” nuts. 

I’m not even sure there’s many more people than Degsy plus immediate family and friends with £55 per head disposable income in Leigh anyway.  There’s only so much decking components in the caravan decking supply chain. 

• Haha 1

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

Just now, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

That’s nuts. As in “chuck a dart at a dartboard to set pricing plans” nuts. 

I’m not even sure there’s many more people than Degsy plus immediate family and friends with £55 per head disposable income in Leigh anyway.  There’s only so much decking components in the caravan decking supply chain. 

I have to assume the rationale for the difference in pricing is that one is a Weds and one a Sunday. But that just isn't how this works. 

I'd be interested to understand who set the prices.  Because the stadium maps are all over the place, it is somebody being far too clever. 

31 minutes ago, Damien said:

I agree. The thing is North Wales isn't really on the radar for those in the South. Unless games are in Cardiff or Swansea I'm unsure as to how much real value there is. 

Two things - and I'm ambivalent really about this anyway, beyond thinking we really should have taken 2-3 games at least away from the vastly overdone places which have too many games:

(1) North Wales is where we actually have a presence. Playing a Wales WC opener in North Wales would actually make a fair bit of sense. South Wales is something of an irrelevance to the conversation.

(2) From an awareness point more generally, you will get far more engagement with the Welsh media by playing in Wales than you will by playing outside Wales.

• Like 5

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

19 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Two things - and I'm ambivalent really about this anyway, beyond thinking we really should have taken 2-3 games at least away from the vastly overdone places which have too many games:

(1) North Wales is where we actually have a presence. Playing a Wales WC opener in North Wales would actually make a fair bit of sense. South Wales is something of an irrelevance to the conversation.

(2) From an awareness point more generally, you will get far more engagement with the Welsh media by playing in Wales than you will by playing outside Wales.

I don't dispute any of that and have said many times that I'd have had more games outside the heartlands. I'm just not particularly convinced Wrexham is that place and if 1 game there makes a great deal of difference in the grand scheme of things.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Damien said:

I don't dispute any of that and have said many times that I'd have had more games outside the heartlands. I'm just not particularly convinced Wrexham is that place and if 1 game there makes a great deal of difference in the grand scheme of things.

From a game development point, since the division of the RFL from the other home nations on an official level, these tournaments are the only times we are ever going to see an opportunity for games against SH opposition in quality stadia that the RFL can help organise. Yet just as with the 2016 4 Nations seeing Scotland play antipodeans in Workington and East Hull, this tournament will see the the two other nations from the island of Great Britain play at Leigh, St Helens, Doncaster, Newcastle and Coventry. At least Newcastle is close to Scotland's central belt...

We don't have the luxury of saying we don't need to develop top class rugby league in these nations. Even English Rugby Union recognised the value of having a Welsh stadium host games in 2015. 

For me, the pros of Wales playing their world cup games in Wales far outweigh the cons. Arguably even more so for Scotland given their opponents.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

From a game development point, since the division of the RFL from the other home nations on an official level, these tournaments are the only times we are ever going to see an opportunity for games against SH opposition in quality stadia that the RFL can help organise. Yet just as with the 2016 4 Nations seeing Scotland play antipodeans in Workington and East Hull, this tournament will see the the two other nations from the island of Great Britain play at Leigh, St Helens, Doncaster, Newcastle and Coventry. At least Newcastle is close to Scotland's central belt...

We don't have the luxury of saying we don't need to develop top class rugby league in these nations. Even English Rugby Union recognised the value of having a Welsh stadium host games in 2015. 

For me, the pros of Wales playing their world cup games in Wales far outweigh the cons. Arguably even more so for Scotland given their opponents.

You seem to be arguing against things I haven't said and I dont dispute the value of having games in Wales. I have also long said its stupid Scotland not playing in Scotland.

I do dispute the value, to the tournament and game in Wales, of sticking 1 game in Wrexham because it ticks a northern powerhouse funding box. That's not really a great reason for me.

Edited by Damien

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

You seem to be arguing against things I haven't said and I dont dispute the value of having games in Wales. I have also long said its stupid Scotland not playing in Scotland.

I do dispute the value, to the tournament and game in Wales, of sticking 1 game in Wrexham because it ticks a northern powerhouse funding box. That's not really a great reason for me.

Apologies I wasn't arguing, with your point. Fwiw I can understand reticence to Wrexham hosting fixtures, for me it should be Cardiff ideally.

Sadly we had far more scope to do just that in Cardiff. Wrexham would have even counted towards the 80% minimum quota. We're way way over that percentage, through our own choice, for no real benefit as I see it.

• Like 2

Just now, Tommygilf said:

Apologies I wasn't arguing, with your point. Fwiw I can understand reticence to Wrexham hosting fixtures, for me it should be Cardiff ideally.

Sadly we had far more scope to do just that in Cardiff. Wrexham would have even counted towards the 80% minimum quota. We're way way over that percentage, through our own choice, for no real benefit as I see it.

No need for apologies mate, I didn't mean arguing as such.

A bad anology coming but for me it's akin to having 1 World Cup game in England and playing it in Workington and expecting people in London and the wider media to care or even be aware. I'd be fine with Wrexham if we had games in Cardiff and Swansea too. And yes I'm well aware that we aren't doing much better in England on this front! I'd have more games in London before Wrexham.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

Im now in a queue like it's Glastonbury.

The queue was to get on to the website, where it crashed again and wouldnt let me in.

Tried again and bought semi final and final tickets.

Still couldn't select a seat.

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

It looks like there are more lower priced tickets released,  which is good. 

No material changes really,  still hugely expensive seats facing the cameras down the sidelines for key games,  including the quarters and the semi finals. 

Been very quiet on the RLWC ticket sales front in the past week.

I appreciate a little old lady passed away a couple of days ago but I just wonder if there are any developments regarding ticket sales, especially after the organising committee said there would be a big push on advertising and promotion with six weeks to go.

25 minutes ago, Jim from Oz said:

Been very quiet on the RLWC ticket sales front in the past week.

I appreciate a little old lady passed away a couple of days ago but I just wonder if there are any developments regarding ticket sales, especially after the organising committee said there would be a big push on advertising and promotion with six weeks to go.

I’ve definitely noticed more advertising and promotion on TV.

RLWC Banners have gone up in Bolton near the football stadium hosting England vs France too when I drove through the Middlebrook this morning.

Hopefully a final push and reasonable pricing might entice those wanting to see live international sport.

Not sure on the exact ticket sales but I guess most commercial social media here are keeping to the theme of a period of national mourning.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

I think we'll see an upturn once the season ends and even as the tournament goes on.

I'd be happy with 50,000 at St James' Park, all England matches sold out, 30,000 for the non-England semi at Elland Road, 55,000 + at Emirates and a sold out final.

The Coventry, Middlesbrough and Doncaster matches worry me somewhat. 

Think we'll pick up some decent crowds at Headingley, Hull and Warrington too.