Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

4 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

I think we'll see an upturn once the season ends and even as the tournament goes on.

I'd be happy with 50,000 at St James' Park, all England matches sold out, 30,000 for the non-England semi at Elland Road, 55,000 + at Emirates and a sold out final.

The Coventry, Middlesbrough and Doncaster matches worry me somewhat. 

Think we'll pick up some decent crowds at Headingley, Hull and Warrington too.

I agree with much of this.  A challenge about hoping and expecting last minute sales (and Dutton has said he expects that),  is that the pricing doesn't really fit that strategy.  Last minute £50,£60,£70 impulse buys aren't that common. I do expect the likes of Leigh where prices are lower to do well at building up a crowd in midweek. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

I think we'll see an upturn once the season ends and even as the tournament goes on.

I'd be happy with 50,000 at St James' Park, all England matches sold out, 30,000 for the non-England semi at Elland Road, 55,000 + at Emirates and a sold out final.

The Coventry, Middlesbrough and Doncaster matches worry me somewhat. 

Think we'll pick up some decent crowds at Headingley, Hull and Warrington too.

I’ve been looking on the ticket sales on the website and more and more of the games are reaching low availability which is good. There are 4 games that are still at high availability ,the 3 games at Doncaster and the Middlesbrough game.

• Like 1

So for the opener we know that Cat A & B are over 70% allocated, the lower bowl is over 90% and the East Stand is full.

Definitely sounds like it's on track for a capacity or near capacity crowd.

With the Final also selling well, it's providing some good bookends for the tournament.

• Like 1

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

It would be a real win if we could announce a sellout. That'd get people pulling their finger out (including me who only has tickets for 1 match so far). 

All the talk of categories being x% full is nice,  but doesn't push urgency. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Yakstorm said:

So for the opener we know that Cat A & B are over 70% allocated, the lower bowl is over 90% and the East Stand is full.

Definitely sounds like it's on track for a capacity or near capacity crowd.

With the Final also selling well, it's providing some good bookends for the tournament.

Ive just had an email saying the top tier at StJames Park has just been opend. Thats still alot of tickets to shift over the next 4 weeks.  

Does anyone know how many the top level holds.  I know away fans get a 3000 allocation for Premier League games so im guessing its in the region of 10k

2 hours ago, Ragingbull said:

Ive just had an email saying the top tier at StJames Park has just been opend. Thats still alot of tickets to shift over the next 4 weeks.  

Does anyone know how many the top level holds.  I know away fans get a 3000 allocation for Premier League games so im guessing its in the region of 10k

Lets see how many ,i sadly have my doubts no-one in RL circles seems to have a clue what is going on at RLWC:(

Paul

Tbh,  their adverts seem to be overly optimistic "events close to selling out"  etc.  undermined by claims that they are now opening sections,  when those sections have been open previously,  they have simply dropped the price of them. 

Personally I wouldn't believe a word that comes from them. 

1 minute ago, Intake Don said:

I’ve just bought tickets for the final and England v Greece. Takes my total to 6 games at the moment 

I've been trying to make some more plans today,  that Saints clash of Tonga v PNG looks a cracker,  with seats as low as £25.

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I've been trying to make some more plans today,  that Saints clash of Tonga v PNG looks a cracker,  with seats as low as £25.

Sounds a good one that. The one criticism I have with this World Cup is that some prices of tickets are ridiculous. I’ve only just started getting sorted can’t wait to go Newcastle 

2 hours ago, Ragingbull said:

They've opened up a third of the top level (L7) so far as I can tell. Would have thought that L7 held about 15k. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Intake Don said:

Sounds a good one that. The one criticism I have with this World Cup is that some prices of tickets are ridiculous. I’ve only just started getting sorted can’t wait to go Newcastle 

Prices are crazy mate,  but thankfully there are some good deals to be found.  Games like Wales v Cooks at Leigh for £15 is great value for example. 

I'll probably pick more of this type of game rather than England games. 

Have bought about 20 tickets for the tournament so far, all for the group stages including the opener at Newcastle. Happy with what I've got but think I'm going to stop there because the prices for so many of the games are just too high. I love rugby league more than any other sport in the world but I think the organisers have misjudged the audience so much. £55 for England v France at Bolton? And try explaining £25 for a cheap England v Greece ticket at Bramall Lane to the casual fan? I wish we were on the level of professionalism of football or rugby union off the field but, sadly, we just aren't and there are hundreds of complicated reasons as to why that is. I think now is the time for a climbdown and to lower the prices drastically before we make fools of ourselves and, worse still, the players who will produce the goods on the pitch. All these games are, rightly, free on TV. A month still to go. Let's pack the stadiums.

29 minutes ago, creditwhereitsdews said:

Have bought about 20 tickets for the tournament so far, all for the group stages including the opener at Newcastle. Happy with what I've got but think I'm going to stop there because the prices for so many of the games are just too high. I love rugby league more than any other sport in the world but I think the organisers have misjudged the audience so much. £55 for England v France at Bolton? And try explaining £25 for a cheap England v Greece ticket at Bramall Lane to the casual fan? I wish we were on the level of professionalism of football or rugby union off the field but, sadly, we just aren't and there are hundreds of complicated reasons as to why that is. I think now is the time for a climbdown and to lower the prices drastically before we make fools of ourselves and, worse still, the players who will produce the goods on the pitch. All these games are, rightly, free on TV. A month still to go. Let's pack the stadiums.

What makes you think the organizers can lower the prices drastically without jeopardizing their government support and having to pay some of it back?  Chances are that amount of money had conditions attached to it, that might explain  the ticket prices being what they are.

1 minute ago, Big Picture said:

What makes you think the organizers can lower the prices drastically without jeopardizing their government support and having to pay some of it back?  Chances are that amount of money had conditions attached to it, that might explain  the ticket prices being what they are.

If anything, I reckon the govt expects them to be making the tournament accessible and filling the grounds, given the level of funding its offered! Not sure why the govt would insist they charge more?

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, ghost crayfish said:

If anything, I reckon the govt expects them to be making the tournament accessible and filling the grounds, given the level of funding its offered! Not sure why the govt would insist they charge more?

They might have a to hit a certain ticket revenue target to get the full amount for example, or they might have been given the money on the basis that this will be a major world class sporting event with the tickets priced accordingly (though they're only just in the ballpark compared to the prices which other such events charge).  Those are only two possible reasons why they can't lower the prices.

And as you can read here, Jon Dutton did reveal that the 25 million £ was given on the basis of discussions revolving around their target of getting 750,000 spectators and the government is pressuring them to "do all the right things".  Having the tickets priced at the level of major world class sporting events could well be one of those things in the government's eyes.

Edited by Big Picture

4 minutes ago, creditwhereitsdews said:

Hadn't considered that and was just giving a fan's point of view. Doesn't bode well though in terms of filling stadiums. Hope I'm wrong.

Likely the government wants them to bring in more money from ticket sales than from their grant, failure to achieve that would be pretty embarrassing.  They can only achieve that if they hit their sales targets and if the prices paid are the same prices they've set.

3 hours ago, Big Picture said:

Likely the government wants them to bring in more money from ticket sales than from their grant, failure to achieve that would be pretty embarrassing.  They can only achieve that if they hit their sales targets and if the prices paid are the same prices they've set.

Why would the Government want that and why would it be embarrassing? There has been zero indication that either is the case and you are creating nothing but strawman arguments in your posts on this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Having seen yesterday tickets flying for the Rugby Union World Cup in France, I think it's a combination for Rugby League but one of the key contributors is the lack of international Rugby League.

In Union there are international rivalries and stories built up. We have a great product in League but most fans let alone the general public don't have a clue about the teams and the players. A stronger more visible international game would've helped ticket sales.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Damien said:

Why would the Government want that and why would it be embarrassing? There has been zero indication that either is the case and you are creating nothing but strawman arguments in your posts on this.

Where there might be any kind of point to it - and it's too wrapped up in the usual nonsense of putting the £ sign in the wrong place and deciding that the reason rugby league can't be popular in the UK is because Leeds is too small - is that there may have been an element that "we're giving you X million and this will be X % of your overall income". It is possible, though how likely I don't know, that some portion of that X million may be held back until it can be shown that RL itself has raised enough of its own income (or generated enough local benefits, or some other metric).

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

9 minutes ago, Phil W said:

Having seen yesterday tickets flying for the Rugby Union World Cup in France, 

Uruguay v Namibia for €10 here I come!

(I don't. I really don't.)

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)