Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

5 hours ago, Intake Don said:

I dont know its because of the Queens death or anything but im really disappointed in the awareness of the world cup today. 1 month today it starts, i'd be shouting from the rooftops about it surely??? 

It's definitely that, they've been doing countdowns for a year now (actually longer since it was cancelled first time round!). They can't break ranks with other brands/events and do too much until after the funeral. 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

1 hour ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

It's definitely that, they've been doing countdowns for a year now (actually longer since it was cancelled first time round!). They can't break ranks with other brands/events and do too much until after the funeral. 

As an example, England soccer's World Cup kit is launched today but they can't do too much trumpet blowing about (and it is awful) but it's clearly only today because today all Nike kits launch so England's is included.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

8 minutes ago, The One said:

Does anyone know when we can expect the BBC to announce which matches will be on the main channels and which will be on red button?

Rugbyleagueontv said yesterday that the schedule hasn't been released,  suggesting that it would normally have been done by now,  so hopefully imminently. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The One said:

Does anyone know when we can expect the BBC to announce which matches will be on the main channels and which will be on red button?

At World Cup event tonight, Dave Woods suggested the broadcasting team will be announced next week and that there will be more RLWC games on BBC1 and 2 than FIFA World Cup Games (I think the number he gave was 31 but it sounded like this will be part of a press release/promotional drive).

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Ray Cashmere said:

At World Cup event tonight, Dave Woods suggested the broadcasting team will be announced next week and that there will be more RLWC games on BBC1 and 2 than FIFA World Cup Games (I think the number he gave was 31 but it sounded like this will be part of a press release/promotional drive).

Yes that number was very positive and very exciting,  it suggests a really substantial level of coverage from the BBC. 

1 hour ago, Ray Cashmere said:

Thanks, sounds great.

With the continuing strengthening of the teams (mostly Pacific) through the various player announcements and a revitalised and looking good New Zealand team.... I think you guys in the UK are going to be treated to a great World Cup event.  

Had no luck with winning any competitions here in Australia to get there so relying on a big lotto win now 😂

Can't recall what day the women's  Canada v Brazil game is on off the top of my head but if you can get there for this historic game of North America v South America teams I'm sure both teams would relish the occasion.

This could be a defining event for our sport. 

PS.  C'mon England in the mens

( Sentiment based on benefits to the game......and my betting slip 😛)

• Like 5

The Rugby League Fan's Mantra for helping the game grow internationally is ten two-letter words - IF IT IS TO BE, IT IS UP TO ME.

I've seen some criticism of the fact that they have *only* sold 35k for the opener so far, with 2.5wks to go. 

Previously we fixed it so the big teams opened the tournament to get a big crowd:

2017 - Aus v Eng (22.7k)

2013 - Eng v Aus, Wal v Italy DH (45k)

2008 - Aus v NZ (34.1k)

2000 - Eng v Aus (33.7k)

1995 - Eng v Aus (41.2k)

It looks to me like the move to being a more mature comp that doesn't hand pick fixtures to get crowds may have a decent start. 

I think we may have to calm our expectations a little, but we should look at the positives that will come. It would be good to beat the 45k from Cardiff and that would be a success. 

Edited by Dave T
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

I've seen some criticism of the fact that they have *only* sold 35k for the opener so far, with 2.5wks to go. 

Previously we fixed it so the bug teams opened the tournament to get a big crowd:

2017 - Aus v Eng (22.7k)

2013 - Eng v Aus, Wal v Italy DH (45k)

2008 - Aus v NZ (34.1k)

2000 - Eng v Aus (33.7k)

1995 - Eng v Aus (41.2k)

It looks to me like the move to being a more mature comp that doesn't hand pick fixtures to get crowds may have a decent start. 

I think we may have to calm our expectations a little, but we should look at the positives that will come. It would be good to beat the 45k from Cardiff and that would be a success. 

John Davidson has gone with the ‘still 17,000’ to shift line as though it’s a disaster but then he does love to spread negativity. If we concentrate on the 35,000 sold I think that’s decent but they need to push it big time. I’d love to know what Newcastle looks like right now. I recall one Magic weekend before the RUWC and the Tyne Bridge had a whopping World Cup logo on it. I presume we ain’t got that?! But we really should be pushing for things like that. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WN83 said:

John Davidson has gone with the ‘still 17,000’ to shift line as though it’s a disaster but then he does love to spread negativity. If we concentrate on the 35,000 sold I think that’s decent but they need to push it big time. I’d love to know what Newcastle looks like right now. I recall one Magic weekend before the RUWC and the Tyne Bridge had a whopping World Cup logo on it. I presume we ain’t got that?! But we really should be pushing for things like that. 

I have to say he's particularly negative. It's not clever or insightful to be in a constant state of glass half empty.

Edited by DI Keith Fowler

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

1 minute ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

I have to say he's particularly negative. It's not clever or insightful to be in a constant state of glass half full. 

He’s a mate of a mate, so I always take note of his tweets/comments and he’s pure doom and gloom. He revels in it but he isn’t on his own when it comes to RL Journo’s seemingly loving to inflict self harm on the sport that gives them a living. 

• Like 1

35,000 is OK. It's more than we get for Magic and it's unlikely that the full number is ever in at one stage.

And at it's fullest, it looks OK. Capacity is limited to 50,000 and we should certainly top 40,000 and I'd hope for 45,000.

That will look great and is not the kind of attendance that we have ever got for a fixture outside of Australia or New Zealand.

I'd love a sell out but I think that's a bit of a stretch. We have been unfortunate to have this tournament coincide with a major economic downturn where everyone has less disposable income.

And the match itself will be outstanding.

• Like 2

On 21/09/2022 at 23:34, Josef K said:

I have heard adverts on Talksport for our World Cup. 

saw one during "the chase" thats big prime time, also lots on manchester xs radio.

• Like 1

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

8 hours ago, Chris22 said:

35,000 is OK. It's more than we get for Magic and it's unlikely that the full number is ever in at one stage.

And at it's fullest, it looks OK. Capacity is limited to 50,000 and we should certainly top 40,000 and I'd hope for 45,000.

That will look great and is not the kind of attendance that we have ever got for a fixture outside of Australia or New Zealand.

I'd love a sell out but I think that's a bit of a stretch. We have been unfortunate to have this tournament coincide with a major economic downturn where everyone has less disposable income.

And the match itself will be outstanding.

1995 opened with 41,000, 2000 opened with 33,758 (after the 3,207 in Belfast), 2013 opened with 45,052.

If we're looking for reference points.

Those three were all England v Australia.

• Like 4