Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

1995 opened with 41,000, 2000 opened with 33,758 (after the 3,207 in Belfast), 2013 opened with 45,052.

If we're looking for reference points.

Those three were all England v Australia.

How much more would we get if it was England vs Australia this year? I'm not sure it would be significantly more.

That said there seems to be massive pressure on the England games to deliver the big crowds in this world cup.

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

How much more would we get if it was England vs Australia this year? I'm not sure it would be significantly more.

That said there seems to be massive pressure on the England games to deliver the big crowds in this world cup.

I think it does show that, for this at least, it's the status of it being a World Cup opening match, rather than 'Australia' that is the draw in these first games.

• Like 5

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I worry that the last minute sales boost is going to be challenging for some games. I'd have thought that impulse purchases tend to be for lower priced tickets, and if all that remain are £70-£110 tickets I suspect many of these will remain unsold. 

I worry about the quarters and semis in particular. 

20 minutes ago, Jim from Oz said:

This seems a bit of a contradiction and I'm sure it can't be in the international rules:

The matches will be played under international laws, so there will be no two-point drop goals that are seen in the NRL but northern hemisphere teams will have to adapt to the Captain’s Challenge that is commonly used in Australia.

Hardman says teams will be allowed one unsuccessful challenge per game and both players and officials will be briefed on the procedures before the tournament starts.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

With 350,000 sold they need to sell another 200,000 to beat the highest ever average crowd of 17,707 set in 1995.

Yep, it’s a big ask but maybe if the tournament kicks off with a classic match/exciting England victory,  sales may get on a roll, you never know.

As an aside, didn’t Jon Dutton say AGES ago that 30,000 tickets had been sold for the opener? Means sales have been very slow since then …. 

• Like 1

Just now, Jim from Oz said:

Yep, it’s a big ask but maybe if the tournament kicks off with a classic match/exciting England victory,  sales may get on a roll, you never know.

As an aside, didn’t Jon Dutton say AGES ago that 30,000 tickets had been sold for the opener? Means sales have been very slow since then …. 

I'm not sure I ever heard a number for tveopener, but I may have missed it. They have constantly said 'on course to sell out'. 

I think they announced 250k a couple of months ago. 

Considering we have had the playoffs and finals, I think we are OK. I worry a lot about the stupid prices, but there is plenty of time for people to make their purchases. 

I've still only bought for one game and have every intention of attending a dozen or so. 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Damien said:

This seems a bit of a contradiction and I'm sure it can't be in the international rules:

The matches will be played under international laws, so there will be no two-point drop goals that are seen in the NRL but northern hemisphere teams will have to adapt to the Captain’s Challenge that is commonly used in Australia.

Hardman says teams will be allowed one unsuccessful challenge per game and both players and officials will be briefed on the procedures before the tournament starts.

Agreed last year https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1107340/challenge-rule-rugby-league-world-cup

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I pray the RLWC is a huge success but i guess the doom & gloom RL fans will love to stick the knife in if it isn’t. 
I always get people telling me about poor turnouts at RL matches as if they get some sort of kick out of it. I ask them “if they went” they say “no”, i then say back “well stop complaining about poor turnouts if you don’t go yourself”. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

@Dave T this article has all the info you need

Thanks.

A quick skim suggests 24 of 31 men's games shown on BBC1, 2 or 3. The others on red button and Iplayer.

5 women's games on BBC One or Two. Others on RB and Iplayer.

Wheelchair and astounding 9 live games on BBC Two.

That is an outstanding result.

Edited by Dave T
Updated after counting properly
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

Thanks.

A quick skim suggests 25 of 31 men's games shown on BBC1, 2 or 3. The others on red button and Iplayer.

I agree it looks fantastic really.

BBC are showing games like Cook Islands and PNG live on BBC Three. They are showing 9 wheelchair games on terrestrial and 5 women's games. 

in 2013 they showed a handful of mens games and we had to watch everything else on Premier.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

@Dave T this article has all the info you need

I see there's a couple of documentaries, as well as the live TV action.

Plus 5 Live and 5 Live Sports Extra commentary on 23 games and a weekly World Cup podcast.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, Dave T said:

BBC are showing games like Cook Islands and PNG live on BBC Three. They are showing 9 wheelchair games on terrestrial and 5 women's games. 

in 2013 they showed a handful of mens games and we had to watch everything else on Premier.

A lot of ancillary stuff too, podcasts and foreign journos.

Don't tell people Matt Newsum is a commentator though 😉 I suspect Talksport/5 Live will have a fair few good commentators too.

6 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Thanks.

A quick skim suggests 25 of 31 men's games shown on BBC1, 2 or 3. The others on red button and Iplayer.

Absolutely fantastic. That really is unparalleled coverage for the game.

• Like 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

It's a huge opportunity for the sport. Lets hope we can get off to a really positive start in Newcastle, people engage in it watching it on their TV's and decide they want to be part of it. Unlike the last World Cup here in 2013, we have home internationals at the back end of next year as well and hopefully we can show some ambition with the venues and use any momentum to keep building. 

17 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The amount of experts, commentators, pundits and presenters that they have, shows how seriously they are taking this. Great stuff.

That’s all very impressive . If possible I’m even more excited and looking forward to it 

• Like 1