Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

10 minutes ago, Dave T said:

There is an official hospitality brochure that states it, I can't provide the link to it. Most articles are from 18months ago and have been superceded. 

https://www.seatunique.com/blog/england-fixtures-rugby-league-world-cup-final/amp/

This is a 3rd party site, but it states it. 

Sorry, I wasn't referring to the Anfield game, I've no idea how that was advertised.

As I said to my brother, it's one thing deciding this course of action (which I can understand with the Emirates semi-final) and it's another just not advertising it to people buying tickets.

Just now, Maximus Decimus said:

Sorry, I wasn't referring to the Anfield game, I've no idea how that was advertised.

As I said to my brother, it's one thing deciding this course of action (which I can understand with the Emirates semi-final) and it's another just not advertising it to people buying tickets.

Yeah, realised that after id posted, sorry. 

I don't know why they can't be explicit. 

Whilst a lot of good work has clearly happened under him, I just don't find Dutton very impressive. I feel a touch bad saying that because he seems a nice guy. 

2 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

It was obvious because Samoa weren't supposed to represent a competitive team. In the last World Cup they drew with Scotland and they were battered by Fiji in 2019.

It is beyond ludicrous to expect that people will book tickets for a game that clearly states 'Winner of Group A vs Runner up of Group D' but be thinking that it only applies if England are in it.

No, when the quarter final was due to be at Anfield it was explicitly stated that should England make the quarter finals then they would play at Anfield. What has changed is that since the change to Wigan this is no longer on the ticketing website. Nothing to do with how competitive Samoa may be

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

Just for those interested in the on-pitch visuals / markings during the World Cup. Asked the RLWC Twitter this question:

"Will the pitches have the metre markings by the lines like the NRL or be plain like Super League? Please can it be the former as that looks so much better?!"

Jon Dutton tweeted me a reply:

"Short answer that needs a bit more context is that due to using a lot of football stadia with short turnaround windows we are taking a pragmatic approach to markings. You will not see NRL type markings at the grounds."

2 hours ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

No, when the quarter final was due to be at Anfield it was explicitly stated that should England make the quarter finals then they would play at Anfield. What has changed is that since the change to Wigan this is no longer on the ticketing website. Nothing to do with how competitive Samoa may be

But it isn't being explicitly stated this time, which is exactly the problem.

Basically, unless you follow the game really closely, anybody booking tickets for the Warrington QF will have every reason to think there is a chance England will be playing.

2 hours ago, BristolDevonCharlie said:

Just for those interested in the on-pitch visuals / markings during the World Cup. Asked the RLWC Twitter this question:

"Will the pitches have the metre markings by the lines like the NRL or be plain like Super League? Please can it be the former as that looks so much better?!"

Jon Dutton tweeted me a reply:

"Short answer that needs a bit more context is that due to using a lot of football stadia with short turnaround windows we are taking a pragmatic approach to markings. You will not see NRL type markings at the grounds."

Short turnaround windows is a BS excuse, that isn't an issue at Toronto's BMO Field.  These highlights of a CFL match there 48 hours after an MLS match at the same stadium with only the CFL markings visible prove that:

The World Cup organizers could have had correct field markings if they understood their importance, but they're too lazy and/or incompetent and/or deferential to their so-called "betters" to get things done right.  If a minor league like the CFL can get their markings put down in a short turnaround window, there's no excuse at all for the World Cup organizers making do with less.

Edited by Big Picture
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

If a minor league like the CFL can get their markings put down in a short turnaround window, there's no excuse at all for the World Cup organizers making do with less.

Here's Montreal. If you look closely you might be able to spot that the ground is also used for soccer.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

But it isn't being explicitly stated this time, which is exactly the problem.

Basically, unless you follow the game really closely, anybody booking tickets for the Warrington QF will have every reason to think there is a chance England will be playing.

Yes, I realise that. I cannot for the life of me understand why it was clear for Anfield but not Wigan, leaving me thinking I may end up having tickets for the wrong game.

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Here's Montreal. If you look closely you might be able to spot that the ground is also used for soccer.

The nerd in me just loves how the CFL markings can be used to show how accurate the soccer markings are with the 6 yard box being exactly on the 6 yard line and the penalty spot being 12 yards out and so on and so on. Yes, that kind of thing gives me pleasure. 

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

That's more the sort of thing (along with the tacky sponsors' logos on the field) I'd expect of the minor league CFL, though as you can see the Canadian gridiron markings are fully correct for that sport.  One difference in Montréal's case is that they play at a university stadium and unlike their counterparts in the US Canadian university stadiums are usually used by a number of their varsity sports and possibly intramural sports too, they don't have one dedicated to the gridiron team.  Canadian universities have a lot less money for athletics too, that would be another factor.

The point remains that BMO Field shows clearly that a short turnaround does not preclude having correct field markings which are the only markings visible and I hope you'd agree that a World Cup should never have to make do with less than that.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

That's more the sort of thing (along with the tacky sponsors' logos on the field) I'd expect of the minor league CFL, though as you can see the Canadian gridiron markings are fully correct for that sport.  One difference in Montréal's case is that they play at a university stadium and unlike their counterparts in the US Canadian university stadiums are usually used by a number of their varsity sports and possibly intramural sports too, they don't have one dedicated to the gridiron team.  Canadian universities have a lot less money for athletics too, that would be another factor.

The point remains that BMO Field shows clearly that a short turnaround does not preclude having correct field markings which are the only markings visible and I hope you'd agree that a World Cup should never have to make do with less than that.

I was just joshing with you. I don't much care either way. My belief is that the RLWC markings and pitch appearance should be uniform across the tournament - however it is decided that that is.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

9 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I was just joshing with you. I don't much care either way. My belief is that the RLWC markings and pitch appearance should be uniform across the tournament - however it is decided that that is.

Yes they should, and they should be in accordance with what the sport's rule book stipulates and all the rule books I've found online stipulate solid, numbered lines which are the same distance apart.  Another big advantage of having the lines numbered is that viewers watching on TV can always tell easily where the play is without hearing an announcer mention it.

Edited by Big Picture

Going to be a long two weeks isn't it.

• Haha 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

On 02/10/2022 at 09:45, Tommygilf said:

Its utterly dire that this hasn't been made clearer.

I can't remember if it was obvious when it was Anfield rather than Wigan.

I too have purchased quarter final tickets at Warrington believing it would be England/Samoa v. Tonga. And now Samoa with their 6 Penrith players are now 2 point favourites with Skybet!!

8 minutes ago, BristolDevonCharlie said:

Thoughts on this please?

https://www.zerotackle.com/multiple-stars-could-be-forced-out-of-world-cup-by-admin-issue-123791/

Is it just a Sydney media storm in a teacup and actually RLWC insurance covers this, or is there an issue here?

They are using stars in that article in a very loose sense. Surely this has happened at past World Cups and affects a small number of players. I'm sure it's easily resolvable. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Damien said:

They are using stars in that article in a very loose sense. Surely this has happened at past World Cups and affects a small number of players. I'm sure it's easily resolvable. 

Media beat up.

20 hours ago, Cheadle Leyther said:

I too have purchased quarter final tickets at Warrington believing it would be England/Samoa v. Tonga. And now Samoa with their 6 Penrith players are now 2 point favourites with Skybet!!

Here is my reply from the official RLWC email:

Hi,

Where England play their QF should they qualify depends on where they finish in the group.

Kind Regards,

RLWC Customer Service

I have the greatest confidence in this reply....