Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

8 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I'm simply responding to your assertions! It is undeniable that England vs Australia is the most attractive final, barring some miracle but highly unlikely scenario like Wales.

As for the other, this has aimed to be bigger than 2013 but that is a long way from guaranteeing that it will be a success or that the final will sellout. The RLWC is still much too fragile a success for it to be inevitable. That is the only reason I pointed to 2017 in comparison to 2008, and how it actually performed worse in the same market.

For what it's worth I think at this stage it looks like it's going to do pretty well and that the final will sellout. 

No you are the one making claims then going from one argument to another and changing tack everytime the flaws are pointed out. You've gone from moaning about it being rigged so that England avoid NZ, while completely ignoring that Tonga are a harder proposition based on the last World Cup and matches since, to this.

It's fine that you don't like the format but it's a little weird the way you are trying to frame everything to justify that view.

20 minutes ago, Damien said:

No you are the one making claims then going from one argument to another and changing tack everytime the flaws are pointed out. You've gone from moaning about it being rigged so that England avoid NZ, while completely ignoring that Tonga are a harder proposition based on the last World Cup and matches since, to this.

It's fine that you don't like the format but it's a little weird the way you are trying to frame everything to justify that view.

It's incredible how some people view things, it really is.

If you could point out where I said the draw was rigged to avoid NZ, I'll happily back down.

21 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

It holds up a hell of a lot better than France and Brazil being on opposite sides of the draw in the 98 World Cup

Except that had either team not topped their group, they would have met in the quarter-finals.

This is essentially the difference, all other tournaments like this allow for the possibility of any two teams meeting before the final. In the RLWC, there are 8 teams (including Australia and NZ) who England cannot meet until the final regardless of how well each teams plays.

As I sadly have to point out each time, this isn't a huge issue by any stretch. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

It's incredible how some people view things, it really is.

If you could point out where I said the draw was rigged to avoid NZ, I'll happily back down.

The inference is clear:

11 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

It seems awfully fortunate that we will definitely avoid the two teams who've knocked us out of every tournament until the final.

12 minutes ago, Damien said:

The inference is clear:

I'm sorry, maybe I'm reading it wrong but it looks like I said two teams there. Last I checked NZ wasn't two teams.

Two teams by the way who between them have around a 75% chance of winning the tournament according to the bookies.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I'm sorry, maybe I'm reading it wrong but it looks like I said two teams there. Last I checked NZ wasn't two teams.

Two teams by the way who between them have around a 75% chance of winning the tournament according to the bookies.

Aren't New Zealand one of those two teams?

I mean keep digging if you wish, you've been doing it for over 2 pages now.

11 hours ago, Just Browny said:

So before it was contrived because they manufactured lots of England v Aus/NZ games and now it is contrived because they haven't? 

We would have had an Australia v NZ semi last time but, as mentioned, NZ didn't even make the semis so I'm still confused about why we are focusing on them so much.

That's pretty much it. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

36 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Except that had either team not topped their group, they would have met in the quarter-finals.

This is essentially the difference, all other tournaments like this allow for the possibility of any two teams meeting before the final. In the RLWC, there are 8 teams (including Australia and NZ) who England cannot meet until the final regardless of how well each teams plays.

You do realise that if the world cup had gone ahead in 2021 as planned then we now wouldn't have to put up with your complaining in 2022 about the format dont you in ... well maybe anyway.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Damien said:

Aren't New Zealand one of those two teams?

I mean keep digging if you wish, you've been doing it for over 2 pages now.

Why would you only mention NZ when Aus is a far more significant team that we cannot face?

It's almost like you're not being honest in how you present what I've said.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Why would you only mention NZ when Aus is a far more significant team that we cannot face?

It's almost like you're not being honest in how you present what I've said.

It was an example of how you keep changing your argument when the flaws are pointed out. I mean I replied to you about why Australia are on the other side of the draw on the last page. You even replied, maybe you forgot. If there is one person not being honest and distorting things to suit his argument then that is quite clearly you. Your posts on the last 2 pages show that. Now you are trying to go round in circles to what has already been discussed and explained, it's boring to be honest. 

You don't like this format, that's fine. Its weird you are so upset by it and are trying to twist everything to back up your opinion but thats your perogative. I think it's clear the majority don't mind it and dare I say even like it. There's little more to discuss and as I said it's boring now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Yes you are absolutely correct in your assessment. This format is very unusual. 

It is the lack of Interchange between the 2 halves of the draw that is incongruent with other tournaments.

In all football world cups, European Championships, sides can move between both halves of the draw, depending on their position in the group.

This is obviously fairer as any side can meet another. 

English fans will like it as they are the main beneficiaries. They can play as badly as they wish and avoid Australia and New Zealand until the final. 

Edited by Niels

2 minutes ago, Derwent said:

Any news on ticket sales for the opener ? It was at 36,000 a couple of days ago.

I'm sure I read something a few days ago saying they now had less than 15,000 left.

With St James' Park being 52,400ish, that would mean at least 37,500. 

I think anything over 40k would be decent enough and look OK at SJP.

12 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I'm sure I read something a few days ago saying they now had less than 15,000 left.

With St James' Park being 52,400ish, that would mean at least 37,500. 

I think anything over 40k would be decent enough and look OK at SJP.

Capacity will be reduced a bit to accommodate big screen etc (I assume there’ll be one).

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

5 minutes ago, Derwent said:

Capacity will be reduced a bit to accommodate big screen etc (I assume there’ll be one).

SJP is one of the better grounds for a few empty seats. Unlike say Wembley where every empty red seat stands out like a beacon.

Essentially, for the opener as long as the crowd isn't an instantly noticeable thing then it should look great on TV and give off a good perception of the event.

I'm not sure about 2013 as I was at the stadium (approx 42k from memory), where the empty top tier was pretty noticeable. 

32 minutes ago, Derwent said:

Any news on ticket sales for the opener ? It was at 36,000 a couple of days ago.

You can add 2 onto that as I booked mine last night. I went for the £55 (cat D) and the first 2 block options it offered me said 2 tickets was unavailable so I would take that as a good sign. Add the kaiser chief announcement to the mix and that will do it no harm.  10 days until kickoff and I genuinely think that 50K may be achievable.  Leeds is looking to be a 19,000+ sell out later that evening and the RLWC will be off to a brilliant start. 

I am absolutely buzzing about the whole thing. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Derwent said:

I hope we get an update at the back end of this week, with one week to go. I'd like to think we are due to break 40k by now. Hopefully the KC announcement will give it a nudge. 

• Like 1

Being able to use the ticketing website would help them. It took me 2 days of trying via 2 phones, a tablet and 2 laptops to finally be able to log in and download my tickets. I had to throw in a password reset in between. 

I can’t help but wonder how many people are trying to get tickets, getting fed up and firing it off. 

5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I've bought tickets for my 2nd and 3rd game today. Newcastle x 2 and Wire for France v Samoa. Will pick up for Tonga at Saints next week too. 

I think I may try to make Newcastle now. I think it is building towards a special event.

• Like 2

Just now, Damien said:

I think I may try to make Newcastle now. I think it is building towards a special event.

We've had to pay quite a lot for a hotel, but it means we can have a couple of beers and go to the fanzone etc. Been looking forward to this for a long time. 

Tbh, I'm not sure I'm that bothered about the final. 

• Like 1

Well, one night away from the internet and I see Betfred have removed a video online of an interview between Eddie Hemings and Shaun Wane where Eddie says “Dom Young, he could have played for Jamaica like his brother, so he’s not English in the strict sense of the word either” then goes on to say Herbie Farnworth “is as English as you or I”. 

That’s Dom Young, born in Yorkshire.