Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

22 minutes ago, Dave T said:

We've had to pay quite a lot for a hotel, but it means we can have a couple of beers and go to the fanzone etc. Been looking forward to this for a long time. 

Tbh, I'm not sure I'm that bothered about the final. 

Managed to get a room for 2 in the Ramada what gets decent reviews for £161, seemed fairly reasonable. There was still plenty of rooms available in other hotels to cater for most budgets. Just need to find a good place to watch OZ v Fiji . 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Well, one night away from the internet and I see Betfred have removed a video online of an interview between Eddie Hemings and Shaun Wane where Eddie says “Dom Young, he could have played for Jamaica like his brother, so he’s not English in the strict sense of the word either” then goes on to say Herbie Farnworth “is as English as you or I”. 

That’s Dom Young, born in Yorkshire. 

Aye, just reading about that. We really do have a problem don't we? 

We really are the sport of dinosaurs. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, saintspete83 said:

Managed to get a room for 2 in the Ramada what gets decent reviews for £161, seemed fairly reasonable. There was still plenty of rooms available in other hotels to cater for most budgets. Just need to find a good place to watch OZ v Fiji . 

Yeah, was happy to pay a bit more for a nice central hotel, the prices did come down somewhat from 12m ago. 

26 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Well, one night away from the internet and I see Betfred have removed a video online of an interview between Eddie Hemings and Shaun Wane where Eddie says “Dom Young, he could have played for Jamaica like his brother, so he’s not English in the strict sense of the word either” then goes on to say Herbie Farnworth “is as English as you or I”. 

He is……Born and brought up in Burnley, went to secondary school in Skipton. Played his junior RL at Wigan St Pats and Newton Storm…..how much more English does he need to be?.?

10 minutes ago, burnleywelsh said:

He is……Born and brought up in Burnley, went to secondary school in Skipton. Played his junior RL at Wigan St Pats and Newton Storm…..how much more English does he need to be?.?

I think Jamaica were expecting him to play for them. 

12 minutes ago, burnleywelsh said:

How did he end up playing at Wigan St Pats and Newton Storm if brought up in Burnley and at school in Skipton? 

I won't answer the question you asked by the way, because unfortunately we know the answer! 

1 hour ago, burnleywelsh said:

It’s the very quick Segway from “Dom Young, from Yorkshire, “not being English” in Hemmings’ eyes to Herbie “being as English as you and I” that seems to have caused shock and been enough for the video to be deleted by Betfred. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Aye, just reading about that. We really do have a problem don't we? 

We really are the sport of dinosaurs. 

No comment or questions on former Welsh international Morgan Knowles, former Irish international Michael McIlorum, Polish born Mik Oledzki or Australian born Victor Radley, I see. 

• Like 8

8 hours ago, Jughead said:

Does anyone know what Wane's response was?

4 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

A defence of Young's status of sorts I suppose - could have been firmer on it. 

Hasn't Wane ultimately fuelled this kind of discussion before by highlighting he will only pick "English" players? 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Dave T said:

How did he end up playing at Wigan St Pats and Newton Storm if brought up in Burnley and at school in Skipton? 

I won't answer the question you asked by the way, because unfortunately we know the answer! 

Basically he was prepared to travel to improve his RL education and went to St Pats. Probably because of his uncle, Brian Foley’s, Wigan connections. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, burnleywelsh said:

Basically he was prepared to travel to improve his RL education and went to St Pats. Probably because of his uncle, Brian Foley’s, Wigan connections. 

Thanks. And Newton? It's my local club, hence the interest. 

Aren't there rules about where kids can play? 

10 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Hasn't Wane ultimately fuelled this kind of discussion before by highlighting he will only pick "English" players? 

Perhaps, but if that is the reason for the line of questioning, surely it is Olędzki and Radley, who qualify through residency and heritage, that should be of interest to Hemmings.

Young of course 'only' qualifies for Jamaica through heritage, but I assume as a Yorkshireman is the type of 'English' player Wane meant he would pick.

Edited by Barley Mow
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

A defence of Young's status of sorts I suppose - could have been firmer on it. 

Yeah, there was some defence but I think the original question was due to Wane’s “Englishness” he talked of when he took the job. He did close it down somewhat though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

Perhaps, but if that is the reason for the line of questioning, surely it is Olędzki and Radley, who qualify through residency and heritage, that should be if interest to Hemmings.

Young of course 'only' qualifies for Jamaica through heritage, but I assume as a Yorkshireman is the type of 'English' player Wane meant he would pick.

Indeed, and Eddie deserves all the stick he gets for this. 

Let's call it out for what it is, it's racism and absolutely because Young is a black man. Being discussed by two older white men. 

1 minute ago, Jughead said:

Yeah, there was some defence but I think the original question was due to Wane’s “Englishness” he talked of when he took the job. He did close it down somewhat though.

It was hardly a staunch defence. 

8 hours ago, Dave T said:

Because his uncles is Brian Foley who has been involved at St Pats for decades, and also Wigan too.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Thanks. And Newton? It's my local club, hence the interest. 

Aren't there rules about where kids can play? 

Not too sure about the rules where kids can play. But with there being no ‘top class’ junior clubs nearby, he had to travel. I’m not sure either, why he went to Newton. It could be, in my opinion, that he was under a lot of pressure from Wigan to be involved in their programme given their strong connection with St Pats. So off to Newton he went. His professional pathway was always intended to be the Australian route despite SL offers.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Jughead said:

I to, think this was a question due to Wane’s previous comments about “Englishness”. Which I thought was pretty pathetic at the time. Very poor from Hemmings though.

I wouldn’t be trying to throw Wane under the bus for Hemmings comments. He looked a bit flustered by it to me and had a split second to react. He seemed genuinely a bit taken a back/confused by what he actually meant and it’s easy to say he should’ve gone all in when we’ve had time to sit and analyse it. I watched it before it was highlighted and my ears pricked up and I sat thinking ‘what did I hear then’ and had to listen to it a couple of times before I’d have felt confident to call it out in stronger terms than Wane had chance to. 

It’s all on Hemmings this one IMO. 

Edited by WN83
  • Like 3

The Hemmings thing is a catalogue of errors:

1) The whole conversation was taking place because Wane created this role for himself as a gatekeeper of Englishness. If that had never happened he could have just shut Hemmings down and said, "look Eddie, I've picked 24 players who qualify for England and want to wear the shirt and I want to talk to you about their skills and ability."

2) Hemmings' wording. Generously you'd say it was clumsy, but it sounded awful.

3) Dreadful editing to let it through and publish it.

• Like 2

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.