Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

2 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

Eddie is a typical example of the modern enemy of the state in 2022 Britain - Hes -white - male -straight- wrong side of 50 -worked and paid tax all his life - lived by and respected the law of the land and worst of all has still got an opinion - there's no place for these sorts in our society anymore - lock them up and throw away the key - the lot of em 

Yes. Definitely. 

6 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

Eddie is a typical example of the modern enemy of the state in 2022 Britain - Hes -white - male -straight- wrong side of 50 -worked and paid tax all his life - lived by and respected the law of the land and worst of all has still got an opinion - there's no place for these sorts in our society anymore - lock them up and throw away the key - the lot of em 

Nice one.

It was satire wasn't it?

• Haha 1

Nothing to see for me in terms of the video. I think people seem to choose not to understand what's actually being said in videos like this - in this particular case the subject is international sporting eligibility rather than the right to be recognised as English in general. Maybe it's just me but I think people choose (as opposed to aren't able) to focus on the details rather than the whole picture with topics like this.

I will say also I recognise this is a minefield of a subject and that I am politically liberal, I just think common sense could be applied more to topics like this, especially on social media.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Not doctored, but I think it's pretty clear it was re-edited. The video was a snippet where the start had clearly been missed off and the fact Eddie says 'not English in the strictest sense either' infers somebody else had been discussed prior (Radley, Oledzki, McIlorum?) Also after Wane says 'you know lives in Wakefield with his mum..edit..get success' is another edit to make it appear Eddie then moved onto how he viewed Farnworth in direct comparison to Young. So i think it's fair that Betfred pointed out that isn't the full video that now seemingly no longer exists. As I said originally, it's clumsy and ill judged to word it how he did, but I do think this edit has misrepresented what was clearly a far wider conversation about eligibility. 

I have to agree with this. I was expecting for it to sound worse than it did. 

People are so willing nowadays to accept the worst version of any given situation.

It's pretty clear that they've been talking about eligibility and likely about the likes of Oledski and especially Radley, a player coming from the NRL with an Australian accent who has played for the junior kangaroos. He explicitly states his not being English in the strict sense because he can play for Jamaica like his brother. Its fair to point out that he was down to play for Jamaica until very recently, I remember being disappointed earlier in the season when I thought he wouldn't be eligible.

It then cuts to talk about Farnworth to make it look like he's said it straight away afterwards. The more likely scenario is that he is pointing out that Farnworth isn't an English NRL-grown player like Radley or past examples like Chris Heighington, but one that actually grew up here. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, overtheborder said:

Nothing to see for me in terms of the video. I think people seem to choose not to understand what's actually being said in videos like this - in this particular case the subject is international sporting eligibility rather than the right to be recognised as English in general. Maybe it's just me but I think people choose (as opposed to aren't able) to focus on the details rather than the whole picture with topics like this.

I will say also I recognise this is a minefield of a subject and that I am politically liberal, I just think common sense could be applied more to topics like this, especially on social media.

Exactly. For the worst take of this to be true, we'd be believing that Eddie didn't think that Offiah or Hanley were strictly British either. This doesn't fit at all with the Eddie Hemmings that I spent years listening to.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

BS

The part where Eddie says that Farnworth ''sounds as English as you or I'' and that there's ''no problem'' (i.e. no issue) with him is clearly following on from an exchange over a player (most likely Radley) whose selection Eddie does question (a valid line of questioning IMO, given Wane's previous statements).

I do think the leading question on Young not being ''strictly English'' is pretty regrettable and merits an apology, but the clip has clearly been edited to make Eddie look as bad as possible. He wasn't comparing Herbie and Young.

Edited by StandOffHalf
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

The part where Eddie says that Farnworth ''sounds as English as you or I'' and that there's ''no problem'' (i.e. no issue) with him is clearly following on from an exchange over a player (most likely Radley) whose selection Eddie does question (a valid line of questioning IMO, given Wane's previous statements).

I do think the leading question on Young not being ''strictly English'' is pretty regrettable and merits an apology, but the clip has clearly been edited to make Eddie look as bad as possible. He wasn't comparing Herbie and Young.

This is basically where I am. The editing has clearly been used to make it sound as bad as possible, but the Young comment stands up on its own as wrong and I can see why people are upset by it.

• Like 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

15 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

This is basically where I am. The editing has clearly been used to make it sound as bad as possible, but the Young comment stands up on its own as wrong and I can see why people are upset by it.

Even accepting that it is part of a longer, more in depth conversation, I think it is pretty rubbish that a discussion like this is happening, talking about how people speak makes them as English as them, or dual eligibility means he isn't really English. 

That stuff is for Gledhill level podcasts, not an interview with the national coach. 

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Yes. Definitely. 

This might help in unmasking the culprit of a misogynistic  comment made to Gabby Logan when she worked at Sky Sports. In an interview with the Mail she said that as a young reporter on Sky Sports quoted that an older rugby league commentator said to her 

‘your a—- is amazing right now, but sadly for you it’s one of those a—-s that will be on your knees when you hit 30.’

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Even accepting that it is part of a longer, more in depth conversation, I think it is pretty rubbish that a discussion like this is happening, talking about how people speak makes them as English as them, or dual eligibility means he isn't really English. 

That stuff is for Gledhill level podcasts, not an interview with the national coach. 

I think it's completely feasible to have a discussion about how much England RL uses players that are eligible rather than born or bred.

When we've had to use players like Chase, Hastings, Heighington and Austin for England/GB, it has been a reflection of the weakness of the English game in a way that it isn't for other nations. 

To use the Farnworth example (and this applies to Young as well), some people might presume that because they're from the NRL and have never played SL that they are examples where we have sought out players who qualify for England rather than being English lads who moved over there.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I think it's completely feasible to have a discussion about how much England RL uses players that are eligible rather than born or bred.

When we've had to use players like Chase, Hastings, Heighington and Austin for England/GB, it has been a reflection of the weakness of the English game in a way that it isn't for other nations. 

To use the Farnworth example (and this applies to Young as well), some people might presume that because they're from the NRL and have never played SL that they are examples where we have sought out players who qualify for England rather than being English lads who moved over there.

There is a thread on here that shows that England have 92% of players as born in England. 

It isn't a hot topic and when we are judging people born here it's just odd. 

But, even if it were a great topic for discussion (and thats very subjective) some of the language used was provocative imho. We can't ignore the political backdrop of the country at the moment in discussions like this. 

• Like 1

Just now, Dave T said:

There is a thread on here that shows that England have 92% of players as born in England. 

But, even if it were a great topic for discussion (and thats very subjective) some of the language used was provocative imho. We can't ignore the political backdrop of the country at the moment in discussions like this. 

We also can't ignore that, as a sport, this is an area that we stumble in quite a lot.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, gingerjon said:

We also can't ignore that, as a sport, this is an area that we stumble in quite a lot.

"As English as you and I" spoken between two white older blokes when judging how English people are is just stupid, even if it is fair game for a topic. 

• Like 3

There's a really interesting conversation to be had about Young, who clearly would have walked into the Jamaica squad. How did Wane's interaction with him go? Did Young say he'd rather know whether he was in the England side or not so he could focus on where his rep footy would be this autumn? Did Young say it was England or nothing? 

There's a lot to go at that could have been phrased a lot better.

• Like 2

Just watched it.

It's the phrase about Farnworth, "As English as you or I, no problems with him", that does it for me. "No problems with him."? Problems elsewhere then?

I was going to make a facetious remark about "Shaun" sounding a bit foreign to me. Irish maybe.

Perhaps Eddie has been stitched up by questionable editing. But this is beyond sketchy.

Edited by Stuff Smith

15 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Even if Rangi Chase was the only non-English born player playing for England it would still be a genuine issue.

England is one of only two professional leagues so when it has to seek out players who ordinarily wouldn't have been considered, it is an issue as it demonstrates the weakness in the English game. The reality is that if we'd have had a stronger set of players, they wouldn't have been considered.

It's not what I would've focused very much time on, but then I haven't seen the whole episode to know how big a deal it was in the context of the whole show.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

There's a really interesting conversation to be had about Young, who clearly would have walked into the Jamaica squad. How did Wane's interaction with him go? Did Young say he'd rather know whether he was in the England side or not so he could focus on where his rep footy would be this autumn? Did Young say it was England or nothing? 

There's a lot to go at that could have been phrased a lot better.

It could only been said worse if Bernard Manning said it! 

34 minutes ago, Dave T said:

"As English as you and I" spoken between two white older blokes when judging how English people are is just stupid, even if it is fair game for a topic. 

Is there such a thing as being English or can it just apply to anyone? 

I don't think saying that Chris Heighington isn't as English as me is as horrendous a thing as you're trying to make it out to be.

We are talking about international sport after all. There is definitely a slippery slope where we end up saying anyone can play for any other country regardless of any criteria, which IMO defeats the point of international sport.

10 minutes ago, Stuff Smith said:

Just watched it.

It's the phrase about Farnworth, "As English as you or I, no problems with him", that does it for me. "No problems with him."?

I was going to make a facetious remark about "Shaun" sounding a bit foreign to me. Irish maybe.

Perhaps Eddie has been stitched up by questionable editing. But this is beyond sketchy.

Is it OK for somebody to have a problem with someone like Hastings, Austin or Heighington playing for England?