Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

6 minutes ago, Damien said:

It's good to see players from each country being interviewed at the launch but it's all a bit amateurish so far really.

Too many people for the stools now.

Luckily, this isn't on the BBC.

Some lovely touches and Chapman is solid, but it's too many small mistakes.

• Like 1

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

1 minute ago, graveyard johnny said:

so if things go as planned the semis should look something like what? again forgive my ignorance 

England, Samoa or Tonga in one semi and Australia & New Zealand in the other.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 minute ago, graveyard johnny said:

so if things go as planned the semis should look something like what? again forgive my ignorance 

If all goes to seeding, we should get:

Quarters:

Aus v Lebanon

Eng v PNG

NZ v Fiji

Tonga v Samoa

Semi Finals of:

Aus v NZ

Eng v Tonga

Final of:

100 England v Australia 0

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

40 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

You'd have to think we'll put 100 on them if that was anything like a full team.

Well, remember that England lost their warm up against Italy in 2013. You would think that not getting injured would be the priority.

Looking at the match report, it seems Greece had their Aussie contingent over in Athens for a bit of culture before flying here, and Bradford took an early 20 odd point lead before Greece hit back. They may well give France a good game next Monday.

4 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

seems a bit of a swizz that its impossible for the 2 best teams to reach the final to play each other 

NZ did not make the semi finals last time round, having been knocked out by Fiji in the QF.

6 minutes ago, JonM said:

NZ did not make the semi finals last time round, having been knocked out by Fiji in the QF.

so results from half a decade ago stop the current best players in the world matching up against each other in the final in 2022?

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

55 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

Too many people for the stools now.

Luckily, this isn't on the BBC.

Some lovely touches and Chapman is solid, but it's too many small mistakes.

The stools incident and the wrong Italy player being up there (and being called Nathan, just as the Scotland coach is) was as amateurish as you’d expect. 

Aside from those two issues it was ok. 

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Couple of things. 

Firstly, up to £15m of it is to help towards staging costs. A further £10m is being invested in the sport via pitches, clubhouses, equipment etc. 

Secondly - who says it can't provide most of the money? You've simply stated that with nothing to back that up or any logic.

Thirdly - it doesn't need to cover £25m, or even the £15m. The £25m is to deliver legacy benefits, and also short term benefits of £75m local spend. 

It really is quite simple. The Government have invested £25m in this tournament, which will go on to deliver long term legacy benefits through sport, and £75m of short-term economic benefits through tourism and local businesses.

There is no requirement to cover that £25m of costs with direct RLWC income. None at all.

You really don't understand how bad it would look if the other revenues altogether added up to less than what the government put in, do you?  Their contribution was plainly described as helping make the tournament happen, not underwriting most of its costs or providing most of its revenue.  The latter would stretch far beyond the definition of help, it would imply that the tournament wouldn't be viable without that government support and what would that say about Northern Powerhouse?  Nothing good, you can be sure of that.

7 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

You really don't understand how bad it would look if the other revenues altogether added up to less than what the government put in, do you?  Their contribution was plainly described as helping make the tournament happen, not underwriting most of its costs or providing most of its revenue.  The latter would stretch far beyond the definition of help, it would imply that the tournament wouldn't be viable without that government support and what would that say about Northern Powerhouse?  Nothing good, you can be sure of that.

I can't debate with something that is just made up. 

The government have clearly stated they have paid towards the cost of staging the tournament for the stated benefits. Its not complicated. 

Governments, councils, regional boards etc. invest in sport all of the time. 

5 minutes ago, Damien said:

Since the last World Cup New Zealand have played 11 times and lost 5.

And their world cup performance was the worst by one of the big three since the major format tournaments started in 1995.

6 hours ago, Yakstorm said:

I've used up time I should have been using towards more important things, but the black bays that appear to be sold out at St James Park.  Encouragingly we know that the East Stand has limited capacity and most of the lower bowl bays appear to be similar.

Concerning is possibly that the Cat D's on Level 7 don't appear to have gone on sale yet (or I missed them if they did)

TicketsSold.jpg.7c53c9b7a4e72ea5f4e73b32fbaff90d.jpg

Feeling like we may be disappointed by the attendance on Saturday.

47 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

so results from half a decade ago stop the current best players in the world matching up against each other in the final in 2022?

Yes, previous results override what Graveyard Johnny off the internet thinks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

33 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

You really don't understand how bad it would look if the other revenues altogether added up to less than what the government put in, do you?  

I don't think I even understand who would be interested in this information, besides about 7 people on TotalRL.com, never mind how bad it would look.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

48 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

Yes, previous results override what Graveyard Johnny off the internet thinks.

so its like making sure Leicester city dont get relegated cos half a decade ago they won the premier league?

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

7 hours ago, Yakstorm said:

I've used up time I should have been using towards more important things, but the black bays that appear to be sold out at St James Park.  Encouragingly we know that the East Stand has limited capacity and most of the lower bowl bays appear to be similar.

Concerning is possibly that the Cat D's on Level 7 don't appear to have gone on sale yet (or I missed them if they did)

TicketsSold.jpg.7c53c9b7a4e72ea5f4e73b32fbaff90d.jpg

Sadly, I am not sure if the top tier of the Leazes West Corner has ever been open for sales. The rest of the L7 tier is, however, open.

I think we will be looking at a crowd in the region of 42k, as a guess.

2 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

so its like making sure Leicester city dont get relegated cos half a decade ago they won the premier league?

No it isn't like that, no.

5 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

No. No, its not.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

again forgive my ignorance

We will johnny.  But you are not making it easy.

• Like 1