Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

4 hours ago, Matterhorn said:

If the tokyo olympics can pull it off with over 200 countries competing surely we can do it with 16

Where there is a will there is a way as the saying goes.

Get the players that you need & you have the tournament - Let the NRL sit in there castle surrounded by there moat & let the rest of of the world get on with things & running the best RLWC in 2021

Bring it on.

3 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Could you imagine the political repercussions in Australia if an Indigenous team (not wearing green and gold and not singing Advance Australia Fair) wins the world cup?

I just hope the RLPA understand that in order to best protect the members that would defy the clubs and play in the World Cup they need as many of them as possible.

Large numbers of dissidents make it impossible for the clubs to ostracise individual players because they'd have to punish them all and the quality of the teams they can put out will be reduced (and they won't like that).

Secondly, large numbers will send a message to the games barons that they are getting it badly wrong and the players won't tolerate being treated with the contempt they've suffered this time ever again.

Thirdly, large numbers will enhance the World Cup immeasurably and might just create the most memorable spectacle ever.

This message must be part of the approach to these players (individually) and the RLPA en masse.

Does anyone know, whether mass meeting is being organised to speak to the players as a group? 

The IRL should be including nations who missed out on qualifying or going with 14 and having cross pool fixtures. What is the point in trying to qualify if some teams that aren't even countries jump the queue? This is international sport not an exhibition.

The top Aussie and NZ players should be made to feel left out. That is what happens when your country pulls out without consulting you. 

Edited by Scubby
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, RayCee said:

Trying to get a handle on the culture of Australia helps to understand their insular attitude to RL.

The world is moving toward non-fossil fuel cars. Countries are providing generous subsidies and even putting in place dates to ban the sale of ICE vehicles. The uptake has been slow down this way so the NZ government has just implemented incentives. In Australia incentives are decided by each state and efforts to change buying habits hasn't really taken off. Two states decided to tax electric vehicles road user charges rather than give even that tiny incentive. 

The world is changing in moving away from fossil fuels and the take up in Australia barely registers. Vaccine take up is poor too. That insularity is part of how things are over there. Perhaps a local can add to my perception. 

It is certainly not unprecedented for individuals, companies, countries etc. be reluctant to change those things that made them successful. Australia is certainly no exception to this.

Australia`s rapidly aging population profile, also provides another brake on adopting new ideas. Older people often tend to be more conservative and hesitant about adopting any changes that they see may threaten the basis of how we became so relatively wealthy in the first place. Even if only for what they see as being for the benefit of the next generation.

This certainly hasn`t been helped by the rank political opportunism of our politicians who have stoked and then capitalised on those fears.

Australia has been tremendously successful in raising its` living standards, a quick comparison of per capita GDP figures will confirm this. To maintain this success in a rapidly changing world, will require the same flexibility that saw us transition from a primarily agricultural producing country to mining and education and other industries.

I genuinely think that all the signs are there that will see us do that, either whether because it is forced upon us by changes externally or the natural dynamism of the Australian people adapting to and capitalising on changes in the rest of the world.

One last thing, one great advantage that this country has is our immigration program from Asia, the influx of entrepreneurial, education excellence focused and driven peoples will stand Australia in good stead in many industries for many years to come.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

The last day of my WatchNRL subscription today and I put on NRL360 and although it was about the GF location bidding and the way the discussion went explained everyting about the WC and Aussie attitudes towards it. 

One phrase in particular ......  " .... but you're not going to convince me." there was a ton of argument that boiled down to that's the way we've always done it!

Naturally, the RLWC was not even, is not even, mentioned. And yes I know there's a clue in the title so why would it?

But a bit of biff from a game at Brooky from 10 years ago was very important.

• Sad 2

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

21 hours ago, fighting irish said:

Are they really suggesting that every time someone is identified as suffering the disease they are going to lockdown the locality, while keeping people from visiting (or leaving and returning to) the country indefinitely?

No they’re not.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Last day of mine as well 

That's a bit spooky, that.

You wouldn't imagine there's a complete breakdown, anger and protest about the RLWC from Aus coverage.

I do think a ban for the next one is the only way to show that the game is bigger than the parts now, even the most influential and richest ones.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jim from Oz said:

I hope you let the NRL know why you’re not renewing your subscription! 😊

Yes already done that twice and I thanked them for all the wonderful footy too.

I didn't expect even a reply, or for it to matter to anyone in Oz, so I won't be disappointed and the indifference from pundits  etc hasn't let me down yet.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Sports Prophet said:

No they’re not.

Go on? What is the strategy?

Why is each state dealing with this pandemic in different ways and how do they propose to get past the present strategy of lockdown and travel restrictions (without vaccination)?

How do they hope to achieve herd immunity, and if not and they want to keep everyone (most people) from being exposed to the germ at all, then we are back to my first conjecture.

So please explain, what's their plan?

It looks from here, as if they haven't got a clue and are scared to the point of paralysis. 

Edited by fighting irish
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, dkw said:

I doubt Sky will understand it was delayed because the insular, ignorant NRL clubs dont want their players missing the pre-season. Though what its got to do with Sky anyway is beyond me.

Big Picture mentioned Sky in relation to the World Cup, from the perspective of the sport demonstrating its competency:

13 hours ago, Big Picture said:

Consider that fact in the context of Sky having effectively put the sport on probation for the next 2 years with the real possibility that if the RFL and SL can't prove its worth to them during that time they'll pull out altogether.  A successful and profitable World Cup which reaches an expanded audience (even if only for a time) could be a very important part of keeping Sky interested.

6 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

Why is each state dealing with this pandemic in different ways and how do they propose to get past the present strategy of lockdown and travel restrictions (without vaccination)?

How do they hope to achieve herd immunity, and if not and they want to keep everyone (most people) from being exposed to the germ at all, then we are back to my first conjecture.

It looks from here, as if they haven't got a clue and are scared to the point of paralysis. 

I can understand your frustration FI but that track is a bit misleading. We can talk all day about Covid but that's really just a smoke screen for other things.

We have to accept that:  not enought Aussies in positions of power and influence think International RL is important, that the indifference towards the rest of the RL World is the central issue, that they feel they and their league are all that matters. There is a little more to this but I would only be emphasising the obvious by bringing it up.

A ban from the WC is the only strategy to show they're not too important or special and the international game must supercede whatever they need, want, feel or even think about the rest of us.

We'll just invite them to the Arrogance World Cup, they'll be the number one seed there too.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Damien said:

The NRL sympathetic media have buried this since the withdrawal was announced. 

Never heard the Aus media being called “NRL sympathetcic” before.

You are right though. Radio silence on the subject. In saying that, even if it were proceeding with Australia in it, there wouldn’t be any news at the moment. 

The sad reality is that most of the Australian RL public probably don’t care that Australia is not attending. To residents in the middle of a lockdown, the decision dare I say it, probably makes sense. The news story at the moment is about the congested five teams chasing the final two spots of the NRL finals.

Many here think that is insular, I agree, but mindset is also testimony to the strength in popularity of the NRL over anything else.

International RL has been Mickey Mouse for years, despite some valiant attempts to give it the credit it deserves, including some thrilling fixtures and events, the unfortunate circumstance is that neither the ARLC or the RFL let alone IRL have seen eye to eye when it comes to prioritising a consistent international presence and structure for the last 25 years.

The difficulty in Aus is that there is a very crowded season to contend with and there will be no movement to the mid season SOO series, so all that leaves is outside the NRL season.

Post NRL, it’s been a very long year and I think the general public are Rugby League’d out. I did propose the WC be staged pre-season. Considering media coverage for RL in Aus starts from late Jan, I have a slight feeling that this is a far better time of year to hold a WC. But that is purely to the benefit of Australians. Many here will probably go on to say how terrible an idea that is in the UK, so, I really can’t give an answer. The answer is definitely not expecting the NRL to do away with their mid season cash cow.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Could you imagine the political repercussions in Australia if an Indigenous team (not wearing green and gold and not singing Advance Australia Fair) wins the world cup?

I reckon it would get more public positivity and media attention in Australia than if the Kangaroos were to win it.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

The plan is vaccination. It’s been a slow rollout and the success of eliminating widespread COVID for much of the last 18 months, moreso than most countries on this planet, has allowed the government the luxury to ensure that the right vaccination programme proceeds. 

The time is now to get moving on that strategy though and we are seeing uplift in vaccinations, so we will get there very soon.

That’s about all I’ve got to say about our Federal and individual State government’s plans for overcoming the threat of COVID.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Oxford said:

I can understand your frustration FI but that track is a bit misleading. We can talk all day about Covid but that's really just a smoke screen for other things.

We have to accept that:  not enought Aussies in positions of power and influence think International RL is important, that the indifference towards the rest of the RL World is the central issue, that they feel they and their league are all that matters. There is a little more to this but I would only be emphasising the obvious by bringing it up.

A ban from the WC is the only strategy to show they're not too important or special and the international game must supercede whatever they need, want, feel or even think about the rest of us.

We'll just invite them to the Arrogance World Cup, they'll be the number one seed there too.

You had my vote until the last two paragraphs.

Then the post descended into us vs them which is not going to get us anywhere.

1 minute ago, Sports Prophet said:

You had my vote until the last two paragraphs.

Then the post descended into us vs them which is not going to get us anywhere.

I'm afraid that's what it has become to be honest. My post may have descended but it's a level that has been forced on me.

If the Aussies get their way on this we won't be going anywhere anyway.

A ban still remains the most sensible way forward and the NRL know this which is why their judiciary come down so hard on transgressors.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

the success of eliminating widespread COVID for much of the last 18 months, moreso than most countries on this planet, has allowed the government the luxury to ensure that the right vaccination programme proceeds. 

The "right" vaccination policy is to get people vaccinated quickly, no idea what is so right about Australia's vaccination approach but I can see a lot wrong with it.

• Like 1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both