Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

26 minutes ago, Devon Ram said:

I waited before booking train travel just in case it was put back or cancelled. 

I waited before booking anything - even match tickets - just in case it was put back or cancelled. Never had any confidence the tournament would go ahead this year.

• Like 2

The situation will be the  same (maybe apart from Covid) next year, with the  Aussies not wanting to disrupt their preseason. Could be quite a  stressful year so don't get your hopes up.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Hopping Mad said:

I waited before booking anything - even match tickets - just in case it was put back or cancelled. Never had any confidence the tournament would go ahead this year.

And my moneys on it won't happen next year either as the Aussies administrators don't want it. They don't want to give oxygen to anything that challenges SOO.

Lets also not forget that THE KANGAROOS HAVE LOST 2 OF THEIR LAST 4 INTERNATIONALS.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, frank said:

The situation will be the  same (maybe apart from Covid) next year, with the  Aussies not wanting to disrupt their preseason. Could be quite a  stressful year so don't get your hopes up.

You just beat me too it.

36 minutes ago, Mark S said:

They need to get the Aussies and NZ to sign a confirmation agreement. 

The tournament needs to finished well before the soccer World Cup.

What is needed is for both to sign participation agreements (preferably with a huge bond attached) but also for a legally binding agreement that regardless of Australia or NZ participating that NRL registered players will be released to play in any and all internationals. We also need to put USA and Serbia on standby immediately to compete instead. If three months out from the rescheduled tournament ARLC and NZRL won't commit then USA and Serbia are in (same applies if those two pull the same stunt as this year). That way the tournament goes ahead with or without them. I could no longer give a monkey's whether Aus or NZ play. It is the other nations and their players that we need. Aus and NZ are like a rotten bit on the side of an apple.

• Like 2

Just now, frank said:

I really don’t think it will go ahead at all. Not with Aus or NZ. So we may as well have staged a diminished tournament this year.

I honestly think it will be a long long time before we see any international RL, by which time the sport in this country will be much smaller and less relevant to the UK sporting calendar. If anything future international RL will just be trans-Tasman tests.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The World Cup, the Olympics or the World Championships are the pinnacle of many many sports and nations are desperate to qualify and play.

In Rugby League we are advocating that we get teams to sign participation agreements 12 months ahead so we can force them to come.

How utterly utterly depressing. 

• Like 14
  • Sad 1

A sad, sad day but one we have been expecting. 

I can only take 1 positive from this. I think postponement will suit the England team more than anyone else. Let's face it preparation this year has been shambolic with SL games called off all over the place. This would have badly affected the England team compared to the NRL stacked teams that have barely been affected and played a full season. Plus our young players will be a year older too. I do think as a team England will be better for it.

I hope that all of this publicity will generate even more sales for next year. Without doubt more are now aware of the World Cup than they were 2 months ago. Next year simply has to go ahead no matter what tricks the NRL pull. Contingency plans need to be put in place and if sides have to be built around residence teams then so be it.

I also sincerely hope next year is the most profitable World Cup ever to give the IRL a bit of clout to push back against the NRL. The game needs a strong IRL now more than ever.

• Like 5

I’m gutted for all the teams and all the players who wanted to come and who were looking forward to this so much . I read a piece by Alex Young on being selected alongside his brother to play for Jamaica , and when he told his Jamaican grandmother her face just lit up with pride . There are numerous stories like this , but a narrow but all powerful self interest stamps on everything else . Such a shame 

• Like 1

These bits were interesting in the RLWC statement:

Rugby League World Cup 2021 (RLWC2021) and the UK Government have today announced their intention to stage the flagship event in the international Rugby League calendar in 2022.

The extremely difficult decision was taken by the RLWC2021 Board, which includes representation from the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport, and the International Rugby League (IRL) Board.

This follows extensive and urgent consultation conducted by RLWC2021 Chief Executive Officer Jon Dutton and his team, which engaged players, competing nations, the Rugby League Players Association (Australia), UK Government, hosts, commercial and broadcast partners.

Tournament organisers faced several unique and complex challenges with the most significant being the non-release of up to 400 players, match officials and staff members from the NRL competition in Australia. This is despite all requests from international rugby league federations having been met which included the rigorous health measures that have been keeping thousands of elite athletes from around the world safe whilst competing in major sporting events across the UK over the last year.  

Ultimately this decision has been detrimental to the plans and ambitions of many of the competing nations and potential replacement teams. A key factor was ensuring that fans of Rugby League are able to enjoy the best possible tournament, which was not possible under these circumstances.

We are working hard to confirm new tournament arrangements including ticket details and availability and will be providing updates as soon as can. Fans can sign-up to receive postponement updates, including new dates and schedule here.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

NZRL signed a participation agreement and went back on it. Sanctions must follow.

Indeed, or even a big fine, which of course the ARLC would pay for them as the NZRL are just lap dogs now to the ARLC

2 minutes ago, Jim from Oz said:

These bits were interesting in the RLWC statement:

Rugby League World Cup 2021 (RLWC2021) and the UK Government have today announced their intention to stage the flagship event in the international Rugby League calendar in 2022.

The extremely difficult decision was taken by the RLWC2021 Board, which includes representation from the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport, and the International Rugby League (IRL) Board.

This follows extensive and urgent consultation conducted by RLWC2021 Chief Executive Officer Jon Dutton and his team, which engaged players, competing nations, the Rugby League Players Association (Australia), UK Government, hosts, commercial and broadcast partners.

Tournament organisers faced several unique and complex challenges with the most significant being the non-release of up to 400 players, match officials and staff members from the NRL competition in Australia. This is despite all requests from international rugby league federations having been met which included the rigorous health measures that have been keeping thousands of elite athletes from around the world safe whilst competing in major sporting events across the UK over the last year.  

Ultimately this decision has been detrimental to the plans and ambitions of many of the competing nations and potential replacement teams. A key factor was ensuring that fans of Rugby League are able to enjoy the best possible tournament, which was not possible under these circumstances.

We are working hard to confirm new tournament arrangements including ticket details and availability and will be providing updates as soon as can. Fans can sign-up to receive postponement updates, including new dates and schedule here.

Australian match officials certainly won't be missed

I think as a mark of respect for this tournament being postponed the IRL should not allow any internationals to be played in Aus/NZ after the G/F this year.

If they do then we know they are the puppets with the NRL pulling all the strings

2 minutes ago, Jim from Oz said:

the non-release of up to 400 players, match officials and staff members from the NRL competition in Australia. This is despite all requests from international rugby league federations having been met which included the rigorous health measures that have been keeping thousands of elite athletes from around the world safe whilst competing in major sporting events across the UK over the last year.  

Ultimately this decision has been detrimental to the plans and ambitions of many of the competing nations and potential replacement teams.

Damning and shameful behaviour 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

The only positive, and I am saying this as absolute scraps, is that a number of young England players like Newman, Oledzi etc. will have another year of top level RL behind them before they play in the big one.

The only positive out of this whole debacle IMO. I think England will be stronger next year.

45 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

NZRL signed a participation agreement and went back on it. Sanctions must follow.

Agreed.

14 minutes ago, Matterhorn said:

I think as a mark of respect for this tournament being postponed the IRL should not allow any internationals to be played in Aus/NZ after the G/F this year.

If they do then we know they are the puppets with the NRL pulling all the strings

The IRL should blindside and pre-empt any NRL moves around the PI nations. They should fund and arrange a 4 nations for PNG, Tonga, Samoa and Fiji away from NRL control. Show up all the NRL excuses to be nonsense when they put new obstacles in the way.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 2