Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

6 hours ago, DC77 said:

I’m coming from a more neutral perspective as an outsider with no foot in either camp, so I’m not taking sides here. 

The international game not offering loads (or any?) money is tied into the reason the Aussies have pulled out of the RLWC. I believe they are genuine with their concern over covid (their lockdown in Australia would back this up) and that there is no ulterior motive, but at the same time had the international game been lucrative, meaning the Aussies (and all the NRL players they send out to the other teams) could receive no expense spared top notch facilities, travel, hotels etc, they’d currently be planning to play in the tournament. The fella from NRL.com on the BBC podcast spoke about players having to share facilities with the public. This is in contrast to their other sports teams including the Olympians.

The 4 minutes notice I agree was shabby. Dutton has been a class act (even going as far as to apologise for the tournament not happening) so the Aussies could learn a thing or two about decorum. Not sure I agree with withdrawing earlier as the covid situation in Oz changed. Look at the Olympics, spectators were only prevented from attending a matter of weeks before the games, so nobody can really plan too far ahead. The Premier League kicks off this weekend, full stadiums, I’m wondering for how long for. We are at the mercy of this virus. 

Vaccination 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, tiffers said:

We have to go so much further than adding Toulouse.

We need a proper NH growth strategy focused on the long-term development of the UK game (might I add that Toulouse being in SL is a must and I do agree with that being the short term decision that needs to be made ASAP), whilst building a NH international calendar to support developing nations.

It's about creating a perpetually increasing circle of:

International matches = profits for IRL & individual federations = funding elite & amateur RL = increasing volumes of players = increasing volumes of talent = International matches....

Until we get this started, rolling and building, we will never consistently match the SH.

You have it a bit backwards there.  The International game can't generate profits for ILR and individual federations unless those Internationals become big events played by full time pros, and for that a league must first exist which can provide somewhere for full time pros from all the relevant countries to play.  Until that league does exist, there won't be any profitable Internationals other than those against Australia and New Zealand.

1 hour ago, Big Picture said:

You have it a bit backwards there.  The International game can't generate profits for ILR and individual federations unless those Internationals become big events played by full time pros, and for that a league must first exist which can provide somewhere for full time pros from all the relevant countries to play.  Until that league does exist, there won't be any profitable Internationals other than those against Australia and New Zealand.

I tend not to respond to AFL trolls, but in this case I will make an exception. This is complete nonsense - all of PNG, Tonga, Samoa, France, Fiji or Wales have played profitable internationals in front of 5 figure crowds without NZ and Aus. Indeed, we could have run a superb tournament with those teams. plus England, had we had a year’s notice that they could not be bothered coming.

You could sell many 10s of thousands of tickets for a Tonga - England series (which I would much prefer to playing NZ), and every game would be a classic. This down playing of the rest of the world is wilful ignorance/stupidity. It’s like the poster who dismisses the 4 minutes notice as “shabby”. No, it is far far worse than that - it entirely exploded the tournament for no benefit to anyone (unless the NRL considers every other nation suffering to be a benefit). 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I tend not to respond to AFL trolls, but in this case I will make an exception. This is complete nonsense - all of PNG, Tonga, Samoa, France, Fiji or Wales have played profitable internationals in front of 5 figure crowds without NZ and Aus. Indeed, we could have run a superb tournament with those teams. plus England, had we had a year’s notice that they could not be bothered coming.

You could sell many 10s of thousands of tickets for a Tonga - England series (which I would much prefer to playing NZ), and every game would be a classic. This down playing of the rest of the world is wilful ignorance/stupidity. It’s like the poster who dismisses the 4 minutes notice as “shabby”. No, it is far far worse than that - it entirely exploded the tournament for no benefit to anyone (unless the NRL considers every other nation suffering to be a benefit). 

You mistake me there, I have no interest in Aussie Rules.  What evidence do you have to back up your contention that PNG, Tonga, Samoa, France, Fiji have Wales have played profitable internationals against each other?  Have you seen the figures from those matches?  The fact remains that New Zealand has always been a much bigger draw in the UK than any of those other countries.

3 hours ago, wilsontown said:

Aaron Bower in the Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2021/aug/09/world-cup-postponement-adds-to-uncertainty-over-rugby-leagues-future

Not sure how he concludes that the world cup will happen in 2022 "come what may", but hopefully he knows something I don't.

There are plenty of throwaway comments in there about clubs in the UK being hit much much harder than their NRL counterparts, and that they are barely surviving. It would be good if journos provided some background to claims like this instead of just giving opinion pieces. 

I don't doubt there are challenges, but if you are going to have a whole article about how UK RL is on its death bed it'd be good to have a bit more substance than just because he says it is. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Dave T said:

There are plenty of throwaway comments in there about clubs in the UK being hit much much harder than their NRL counterparts, and that they are barely surviving. It would be good if journos provided some background to claims like this instead of just giving opinion pieces. 

I don't doubt there are challenges, but if you are going to have a whole article about how UK RL is on its death bed it'd be good to have a bit more substance than just because he says it is. 

Simple Google searches would be a start.  

OMG I've actually got a reply from the NRL regarding my email sent to them 3 weeks ago registering my absolute disgust at the decision to cancel the RLWC :

Dear Jim

Thank you for your email. We always appreciate receiving correspondence from long-standing supporters of the game like you so thank you for taking the time to write to us.

We welcome your comments and I have ensured your views are registered. You would now be aware that Rugby League World Cup 2021 together with the UK Government recently announcement the postponement of the event to 2022.

Thanks again for writing to us, Jim, and for your loyal support of rugby league. Your views are welcome and have been registered.

Kind regards

NRL Feedback Team

1 hour ago, Jim from Oz said:

OMG I've actually got a reply from the NRL regarding my email sent to them 3 weeks ago registering my absolute disgust at the decision to cancel the RLWC :

Dear Jim

Thank you for your email. We always appreciate receiving correspondence from long-standing supporters of the game like you so thank you for taking the time to write to us.

We welcome your comments and I have ensured your views are registered. You would now be aware that Rugby League World Cup 2021 together with the UK Government recently announcement the postponement of the event to 2022.

Thanks again for writing to us, Jim, and for your loyal support of rugby league. Your views are welcome and have been registered.

Kind regards

NRL Feedback Team

Well they obviously didn’t read your email and C&Pd that staple response - would have been better if they just hadn’t replied. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, rlno1 said:

Great podcast here with IRL boss Troy Grant, talks about RLWC2021 and future of international RL

Explains alot to give us hope

https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podcast/chasing-kangaroos-for-international-rugby-league-fans/id1441882710

Can someone please summarise what Troy Grant says? Thanks

(Will listen when I can, just snowed under with work!)

Edited by Jim from Oz
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jim from Oz said:

Dear Jim

Kind regards

NRL Feedback Team

Registered your comments = They don't care and have simply sent this generic, copy and paste email response. 

That email shows the complete disdain they have for fan's feelings on this issue.

• Like 2

Agreed that they are treating my comments with contempt but I've just sent this in as my reply:

Hello NRL Feedback Team,

Thank you for your reply and for registering my concerns.

Can you also register the following concerns: until the ARLC and the NZRL sign the participation agreements for the (now postponed 2021) RLWC to be held in 2022, I will NOT follow/watch/buy/consume any NRL content whatsoever on TV, in newspapers, on the internet or at the grounds.

I remain utterly disgusted at the actions of the ARLC and the NZRL at pulling out of the 2021 RLWC, and do not for one minute believe the COVID excuse.

Forty-six years of being a RL fan and I'm not watching one minute of RL in any shape or form until those participation agreements are signed.

And if they are not signed, I will walk away from the game forever.

Have I expressed enough my disgust? I hope that it "registers" with the ARLC and the NZRL.
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, Jim from Oz said:

Dear Jim

Kind regards

NRL Feedback Team

I received the exact same email but with my own name in the salutation. Big effort indeed.

The more I hear from the Aussie side on this (the last being the BBC podcast from 5 August which I heard yesterday) the more the English response reeks of the insular “little Englander”. 

The NZ players from the NRL have been stuck in Aus and cannot get back to NZ before Christmas. And yet we have folk here, including esteemed folk on Forty20, claiming the virus is just an excuse for the Aussies/Kiwis not travelling 10,000 miles to a virus riddled island and that there is an ulterior motive. The BBC presenter, after hammering the Aussies in multiple BBC podcasts, finally gave the Aussies a brief consideration after hearing about the extreme situation in Aus from the NRL.com fella. How gracious of him. 

I get now why Vlandys responded in the way he did (not a colonial outpost, we are a sovereign nation). 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3

1 minute ago, DC77 said:

The more I hear from the Aussie side on this (the last being the BBC podcast from 5 August which I heard yesterday) the more the English response reeks of the insular “little Englander”. 

The NZ players from the NRL have been stuck in Aus and cannot get back to NZ before Christmas. And yet we have folk here, including esteemed folk on Forty20, claiming the virus is just an excuse for the Aussies/Kiwis not travelling 10,000 miles to a virus riddled island and that there is an ulterior motive. The BBC presenter, after hammering the Aussies in multiple BBC podcasts, finally gave the Aussies a brief consideration after hearing about the extreme situation in Aus from the NRL.com fella. How gracious of him. 

I get now why Vlandys responded in the way he did (not a colonial outpost, we are a sovereign nation). 

That would all be fantastically true if the sabotage plan was limited to Australians and Kiwis.

Because that failed to collapse the World Cup as they had hoped, the NRL and its clubs turned to pressuring the players of other nations and the Indigenous squads into not going. Much in the same way they did over the England vs Kiwis game in Denver.

Again, for people so concerned with "player welfare", it is truly shocking that the RLPA stated they weren't even asked prior to the Kiwi and Kangaroo withdrawal. Its almost like it has nothing to do with player welfare!

If you believe this is anything but self interested NRL sabotage, you're kidding yourself.

• Like 4

Are you for real?

You are really that naive to believe the 'virus' excuse....sorry , reason.

Even the great Gus Gould is confused. One minutes its the virus from a direct health point of view , then its the knock on impact to the start of next season. Which is it?

He and the NRL never wanted the RLWC and have looked ( and will continue to look) for an excuse to cancel the whole thing.

Sport is up and running around the world. Full respect to individual players if they choose not to tour, but the player pool is so large for both countries , surely they could forward 2 competitive teams rather than hide behind the virus excuse.

That's why Johnson (Simon that is) referred to the decision as 'cowardly'.

Would have had more respect for the decision if they just told the truth.......ie. it will impact on our pre-season and as its 'overseas' its not our problem!

11 minutes ago, DC77 said:

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, DC77 said:

You just sound like you are trolling now.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It’s not the English response though is it , it’s everyone else apart from Australia and then New Zealand . The pathetic dog whistle little Englander rubbish is just the usual tactic to rouse support at home and is sheer deflection . How anyone can’t see through all their bluster is beyond me . And if they’re getting a hammering good they deserve every bit of it

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

That would all be fantastically true if the sabotage plan was limited to Australians and Kiwis.

Because that failed to collapse the World Cup as they had hoped, the NRL and its clubs turned to pressuring the players of other nations and the Indigenous squads into not going. Much in the same way they did over the England vs Kiwis game in Denver.

Again, for people so concerned with "player welfare", it is truly shocking that the RLPA stated they weren't even asked prior to the Kiwi and Kangaroo withdrawal. Its almost like it has nothing to do with player welfare!

If you believe this is anything but self interested NRL sabotage, you're kidding yourself.

Aussies and Kiwis who play for Aus and NZ is the same thing as the other Aussie and Kiwi born NRL based players who play for other nations. The NRL.com fella outlined this as being the major reason for their reluctance to go. With RU (wallabies) it’s just one group of players, likewise the Aussie Olympians all under the roof of one building, whereas with RL it’s a group of players who represent most (if not all?) the 16 teams in the competition who would be spread out and sharing facilities with the general public. Such a spread out group cannot be contained. In Australia they are taking such drastic measures that NZ players are stuck in Aus until Christmas.

Take the little Englander approach if you want, the Aussies ain’t bowing down to anyone.

3 minutes ago, DC77 said:

likewise the Aussie Olympians all under the roof of one building

How did they compete then?

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, DC77 said:

Roger Tuivasa Shek got home okay. I'm sure the Warriors will be granted permission by the NZ govt to return home in early September when their season is over.

10 minutes ago, DC77 said:

whereas with RL it’s a group of players who represent most (if not all?) the 16 teams in the competition

At most NRL players make up the majority of players in 9 teams. Even many of those would have a smattering of players from elsewhere too.