Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

15 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Depending on the ground you can’t do that - it does say that on the page

3 minutes ago, EggFace said:

I think you got to print them for the opening game at St.James Park.

Thanks, whilst it does say it, I must admit I would not have looked at that until the game day and just assumed it accepts digital like most places. Saved me having to rush around to find a printer! 

A bit odd in this day and age that a top tier venue doesn't accept digital tickets

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I'm sure it's somewhere, but does anybody know who else are playing in warm up games?

Leeds are playing the Kiwis

France are playing Tonga

Scotland are playing the England Knights

Wales are playing Lebanon

Find out which you can watch on this site - https://www.rugbyleagueontv.com - which every Rugby League fan should have bookmarked.

Outside the RWC, you can even watch Bulgaria v Malta tomorrow via the link on that sire.

• Like 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

36 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Leeds are playing the Kiwis

France are playing Tonga

Scotland are playing the England Knights

Wales are playing Lebanon

Find out which you can watch on this site - https://www.rugbyleagueontv.com - which every Rugby League fan should have bookmarked.

Outside the RWC, you can even watch Bulgaria v Malta tomorrow via the link on that sire.

Are Samoa not playing? They might have a great team but surely going into the England game without ever playing together makes it hard to see them as favourites.

I think they'll be a different proposition in the semis.

1 minute ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Are Samoa not playing? They might have a great team but surely going into the England game without ever playing together makes it hard to see them as favourites.

They may well be, but not in a televised or streamed fixture. I don't know.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I was thinking that . Must give us a bit of an edge

40 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

The latest Facebook sponsored advert coming my way states that Cat D seats are sold out at St Helens for Tonga v PNG, Cat C seats are 70% sold and standing tickets are "selling fast".

That match should be an absolute cracker and deserves to sell out

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I noticed there was a discussion on a separate thread about overall tickets sales, but that thread is supposed to not be about ticket sales so I've moved it to here.

The basic premise is that we're in a disappointing place because we're not going to be anywhere near the target of 750k before the tournament. The figure itself seems to be the issue for me, and I'd love to know where they plucked it from. The last WC was attended by a total of 380k, and the English one before (seen as a really well ran event) 460k. I know this includes woman and wheelchair, but surely 90%+ of the tickets are for the mens.

I'm old enough to remember the 2000WC target of selling out the events from the QF onwards. The quarters and semis got a total of 54k out of a possible 125k.

I've also got an old Widnes programme from 1995 where they are talking about concerns that the upcoming WC hasn't even sold 100k for the whole event. The opening game set the event up.

If England Vs Samoa is a decent event, then that could really boost the whole thing. In theory, a Samoa victory would be better for the competitiveness of the tournament but I suspect that it would just create negativity around England. A great game where we come out on top is probably the best option.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I noticed there was a discussion on a separate thread about overall tickets sales, but that thread is supposed to not be about ticket sales so I've moved it to here.

The basic premise is that we're in a disappointing place because we're not going to be anywhere near the target of 750k before the tournament. The figure itself seems to be the issue for me, and I'd love to know where they plucked it from. The last WC was attended by a total of 380k, and the English one before (seen as a really well ran event) 460k. I know this includes woman and wheelchair, but surely 90%+ of the tickets are for the mens.

I'm old enough to remember the 2000WC target of selling out the events from the QF onwards. The quarters and semis got a total of 54k out of a possible 125k.

I've also got an old Widnes programme from 1995 where they are talking about concerns that the upcoming WC hasn't even sold 100k for the whole event. The opening game set the event up.

If England Vs Samoa is a decent event, then that could really boost the whole thing. In theory, a Samoa victory would be better for the competitiveness of the tournament but I suspect that it would just create negativity around England. A great game where we come out on top is probably the best option.

If it's a humdinger of a game, which I think it will be, and England get a narrow win, say by 1-12 points then I think you will be right, the tournament will be set up. It would most probably confirm England playing at Wigan in the Q/F taking away the ambiguity of whether that is their guaranteed venue. It would also set up a great S/F, assuming England didn't slip up.

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

43 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Re the target of 750,000 tickets sold, I'd suggest that was due to the government's contribution of 25 million £ on the premise that the tournament would demonstrate the success of their Northern Powerhouse initiative.

With that premise in mind, one wonders what would be required for the tournament to keep the government happy by demonstrating the success of Northern Powerhouse?

The first requirement would seem to be that the total of other revenues would have to exceed 25 million £ and if possible revenue from at least one single source should exceed that amount.  If the government money was the single biggest source of revenue that would be a big embarrassment, and if it should comprise more than half of the total that would be an even bigger embarrassment.  I can't see the government being too happy in either of those situations, because then it would look like they'd been taken for a proverbial ride.

Knowing that neither the TV rights nor sponsorships were ever likely to bring in the sort of money needed to achieve either goal, the organizers had to rely on ticket sales to do it. If the average price paid were 33.33 £ per ticket and 750,000 were sold altogether that would just about bring in 25 million £.  Whether they can achieve 25 million £ in either ticket revenues or total non-government revenues remains very much to be seen at this point.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

If it's a humdinger of a game, which I think it will be, and England get a narrow win, say by 1-12 points then I think you will be right, the tournament will be set up. It would most probably confirm England playing at Wigan in the Q/F taking away the ambiguity of whether that is their guaranteed venue. It would also set up a great S/F, assuming England didn't slip up.

I thought any England quarter final was guaranteed to be at Wigan.

3 minutes ago, Damien said:

I thought any England quarter final was guaranteed to be at Wigan.

I believe it is, what I was getting at is that it is not clear on the World Cup ticketing website and people could be holding off from buying tickets if they are unsure where England may play their quarter final. A good win for England in a competitive game may give ticket sales a boost

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

11 hours ago, Chris22 said:

The latest Facebook sponsored advert coming my way states that Cat D seats are sold out at St Helens for Tonga v PNG, Cat C seats are 70% sold and standing tickets are "selling fast".

Just got my ticket for the Tonga V PNG game at Saints. I only bought 1 and yes Cat D where unavailable so I am on the western terrace. Does anyone know if you can pay on the day as even though we are in 2022 many older supporters may still not use the internet as a way of purchasing. 

Saints obviously have a ticket office so to not use that would be a waste. Also there has been virtually nothing coming from the club's social media channels about the fixture what I find very poor and last time I was at the ground there seemed to be very little with regards promotion of the world cup fixtures. 

2 hours ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

I believe it is, what I was getting at is that it is not clear on the World Cup ticketing website and people could be holding off from buying tickets if they are unsure where England may play their quarter final. A good win for England in a competitive game may give ticket sales a boost

I've just had it confirmed by the RLWC that the Quarter Final will definitely be at Wigan regardless. 

They originally emailed me back saying it wasn't so I replied showing them the loverugbyleague article. I'd also been in contact with James Gordon who said he had it in writing.

Here's hoping we win to prevent even more negative headlines.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Josef K said:

I have had a few mates moaning about the price of tickets and they say they should be cheaper. How much do other sports charge for WC matches. 

That's because a high % expect games to be £15 for adults and £5 for kids. They struggle to understand how much a big event like a world cup must cost. 

The culture created by the RFL if bargain basement prices and freebies. My 2013 WC final ticket was £15 and my last cup final visit to Wembley in 2019 was £20 despite the face value of the ticket being £45. 

So far I have paid £55 and £25 for 2 world cup games with more to follow and I'm very happy with those prices for the games I'm attending. 

Going to events in the modern day is not cheap wether that's a concert, football or international Union. The RLWC  tickets are a fair price IMO but as I previously said, the sport has made itself look like a £1 bargain store at times. Granted the timing of the event with the cost of living crisis has certainly not helped but looking forward the sport needs to keep up and generate revenue to move forward. 

England v Samoa at a top class venue with plenty going on around the stadium has cost me £55 and IMO that's an extremely fair price. My Billy Ocean ticket at Liverpool philharmonic has cost me far more, and that's only in the upper stalls ha ha.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, saintspete83 said:

That's because a high % expect games to be £15 for adults and £5 for kids. They struggle to understand how much a big event like a world cup must cost. 

The culture created by the RFL if bargain basement prices and freebies. My 2013 WC final ticket was £15 and my last cup final visit to Wembley in 2019 was £20 despite the face value of the ticket being £45. 

So far I have paid £55 and £25 for 2 world cup games with more to follow and I'm very happy with those prices for the games I'm attending. 

Going to events in the modern day is not cheap wether that's a concert, football or international Union. The RLWC  tickets are a fair price IMO but as I previously said, the sport has made itself look like a £1 bargain store at times. Granted the timing of the event with the cost of living crisis has certainly not helped but looking forward the sport needs to keep up and generate revenue to move forward. 

England v Samoa at a top class venue with plenty going on around the stadium has cost me £55 and IMO that's an extremely fair price. My Billy Ocean ticket at Liverpool philharmonic has cost me far more, and that's only in the upper stalls ha ha.

NRL GF was $400 a ticket to sit side on, $700 for premium seats, I think the cheapest tickets were around $100?? Decent seats at State of Origin are around $250, I know its a different country and currency but I was quite surprised at how cheap the tickets appeared to be for the WC.

People talking about the price of other sports are spectacularly missing the point. It's really impressive. 

How on earth you can compare to Union or Football World Cups is beyond me. Those events have people flying across the world to attend. Football's World Cup is one of the biggest events in the world bar none. Union has affluent markets in South Africa, NZ, Aus, France, England, Wales, Scotland, Ireland plus emerging markets in the likes of Japan and America, Argentina etc. 

When they start staging their world cups with 11 games across Warrington, St Helens, Leigh and Wigan which will be 99% filled with locals attending multiple games then you may have a point. 

The attitude you display is the one that organisers showed when setting tickets at £110 that are likely to remain unsold. 

• Like 1