Jump to content

Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)


Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

Wow no Oledzki, I honestly can’t believe it, truly shocking. In my opinion he is arguably Englands best player and they leave him out of the squad. There is no way, he must be injured or something. If Shaun wane has genuinely picked Mike Cooper and  Chris hillover Oledzki he should get the sack immediately. I truly can’t believe my eyes, there’s no way this is real.

Oledski is England's best player? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


He was carrying a knock through the play offs and was rested last week. Wane has spoken about having a couple of niggles in the squad. I wouldn't go OTT on anybody being left out until we know the full story. Oledzki will play a huge part in the side as the comp goes on, I'm sure. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Dave T said:

Australia v Fiji is weird. They've been telling us for weeks that over 95% of seats are sold, and that standing tickets are selling well. Aren't there around 8k seats at Headingley? 

That would suggest we've sold around 2k terrace tickets or less if they are only suggesting a 5 figure crowd, which means the low end. Considering the terracing is usually popular that seems odd. 

I really feel they are being economical with the truth. I raised the point that the graphic still says the Headingley game has medium availability. 

Is really weird because historically the North stand is the last stand to fill up. But you can get a ticket anywhere you want so it doesn't suggest any stand is close to selling out.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is a lengthy article on the rules and protocols in place for the World Cup. As an example on squad announcements:

Squad Announcements 

Preliminary Squad List 

Each nation will submit their 19 (men’s and women’s tournaments) or 10-person (wheelchair tournament) Preliminary Squad by noon (12:00) 48 hours before the match. 

Match Day Squad List  

A final Match Day Squad (17 or 10 players) will be submitted no later than 75‐minutes prior to the scheduled kick‐off. No team is obliged to confirm or announce their final Match Day Squad until 60‐minutes prior to kick‐off. However, some nations may publicly confirm their Match Day squad, or elements thereof, in‐advance of submitting the final Match Day Squad. 

https://www.rlwc2021.com/article/531/a-guide-to-whats-new-for-rlwc2021

  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

Problem is and I know this is a political one but getting to the North West from Yorkshire on public transport is ridiculous. I quite fancy a few of the games in Warrington or St Helens but it takes 2-3hrs + with 2 or 3 connections from mine.

Where are you coming from Matt? Wouldnt have thought it was too bad to get to Warrington, even if they've reduced Transpennine services which is a faff.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

Where are you coming from Matt? Wouldnt have thought it was too bad to get to Warrington, even if they've reduced Transpennine services which is a faff.

Wakefield. St Helens doesn't look to bad 2hrs+ but only one train from Dewsbury. But Warrington is a right faff Wakey to Leeds then on to Manchester Oxford Rd then another change from there to St Helens

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mattrhino said:

Wakefield. St Helens doesn't look to bad 2hrs+ but only one train from Dewsbury. But Warrington is a right faff Wakey to Leeds then on to Manchester Oxford Rd then another change from there to St Helens

yes - the trains in that area seem to be appalling at the moment

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Re: Pricing.

I'm a lapsed rugby league fan (my dad lived in St Helens in his 20s before I was born but I was born and bred in Bury so watched some Saints games and Swinton games growing up but lost interest in my late teens and now live in Sheffield). My mate popped up 2 years ago when tickets went on sale, and we got the cheapest tickets for England Vs Greece, semi final at Leeds and the final which has renewed my interest in the last year or 2.

The prices seemed like a steal at £15, 25 and 35 (I think?), so was more than happy with that. If my mate popped up now and said it was £55 to see England win 80-0 against Greece it would have been a no from me! I think the pricing like that will put off the floating/lapsed fans. 

Not sure if I'm just tight, and I'm not really sure if there was any other way to do it but just my 2 pence.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mattrhino said:

Wakefield. St Helens doesn't look to bad 2hrs+ but only one train from Dewsbury. But Warrington is a right faff Wakey to Leeds then on to Manchester Oxford Rd then another change from there to St Helens

That is really annoying.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Ste93 said:

Re: Pricing.

I'm a lapsed rugby league fan (my dad lived in St Helens in his 20s before I was born but I was born and bred in Bury so watched some Saints games and Swinton games growing up but lost interest in my late teens and now live in Sheffield). My mate popped up 2 years ago when tickets went on sale, and we got the cheapest tickets for England Vs Greece, semi final at Leeds and the final which has renewed my interest in the last year or 2.

The prices seemed like a steal at £15, 25 and 35 (I think?), so was more than happy with that. If my mate popped up now and said it was £55 to see England win 80-0 against Greece it would have been a no from me! I think the pricing like that will put off the floating/lapsed fans. 

Not sure if I'm just tight, and I'm not really sure if there was any other way to do it but just my 2 pence.

Its normal to have a range of prices to attract fans and as you say you did get tickets at a price point that suited you. Even now for England v Greece there are £25 and £35 tickets. I think on the whole the pricing at places like Middlesbrough for the less attractive fixtures is a lot more problematic than the England games or the other more attractive fixtures.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Mattrhino said:

Wakefield. St Helens doesn't look to bad 2hrs+ but only one train from Dewsbury. But Warrington is a right faff Wakey to Leeds then on to Manchester Oxford Rd then another change from there to St Helens

National Express are running special services to a few games (from Yorkshire to certain games in the NW and vice versa).

https://www.nationalexpress.com/en/events/rugby-league-world-cup

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Ste93 said:

Re: Pricing.

I'm a lapsed rugby league fan (my dad lived in St Helens in his 20s before I was born but I was born and bred in Bury so watched some Saints games and Swinton games growing up but lost interest in my late teens and now live in Sheffield). My mate popped up 2 years ago when tickets went on sale, and we got the cheapest tickets for England Vs Greece, semi final at Leeds and the final which has renewed my interest in the last year or 2.

The prices seemed like a steal at £15, 25 and 35 (I think?), so was more than happy with that. If my mate popped up now and said it was £55 to see England win 80-0 against Greece it would have been a no from me! I think the pricing like that will put off the floating/lapsed fans. 

Not sure if I'm just tight, and I'm not really sure if there was any other way to do it but just my 2 pence.

This even more so during this current economic environment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Ste93 said:

Re: Pricing.

I'm a lapsed rugby league fan (my dad lived in St Helens in his 20s before I was born but I was born and bred in Bury so watched some Saints games and Swinton games growing up but lost interest in my late teens and now live in Sheffield). My mate popped up 2 years ago when tickets went on sale, and we got the cheapest tickets for England Vs Greece, semi final at Leeds and the final which has renewed my interest in the last year or 2.

The prices seemed like a steal at £15, 25 and 35 (I think?), so was more than happy with that. If my mate popped up now and said it was £55 to see England win 80-0 against Greece it would have been a no from me! I think the pricing like that will put off the floating/lapsed fans. 

Not sure if I'm just tight, and I'm not really sure if there was any other way to do it but just my 2 pence.

I bought my tickets years ago and tbh I forgot what I'd paid for all of them. I printed them out the other day and saw what we paid and generally they were pretty reasonable. Admittedly I think we went for the cheapest category for each match but it was only the final that was more than 25 quid and there were a couple for 10/15.

Having said that I think it is the consistency of the pricing that is maybe the problem. Or maybe the headline figure for the expensive seats putting people off even looking.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just mine, some for Doncaster (Samoa v Greece and the tasty looking PNG v Wales) and some for the wheelchair matches in Sheffield.

The prices aren't too bad, although it was a bit odd that the Samoa v Greece game was more expensive.

I'm sure it's been mentioned already, but paying for babies is ridiculous. It means my wife won't be going to the Samoa game as she will be looking after grandson #2. So there's a ticket lost.

  • Like 1

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Damien said:

 I think on the whole the pricing at places like Middlesbrough for the less attractive fixtures is a lot more problematic than the England games or the other more attractive fixtures.

This is now the closest game to me, so I'm seeing a fair bit of publicity locally, the council are certainly doing their bit, and there's quite a lot of social media advertising for the game (from the Tees Valley combined authority rather than RLWC).

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/23040758.cook-islands-rugby-league-world-cup-team-welcomed-darlington-ahead-riverside-game/

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, JonM said:

This is now the closest game to me, so I'm seeing a fair bit of publicity locally, the council are certainly doing their bit, and there's quite a lot of social media advertising for the game (from the Tees Valley combined authority rather than RLWC).

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/23040758.cook-islands-rugby-league-world-cup-team-welcomed-darlington-ahead-riverside-game/

Thats good to hear.

My concern is just the fact that the Riverside Stadium is so big and this is one of the least attractive fixtures. With 35k seats to fill is a hell of a challenge anyway and keeping with a £25, £40 and £55 structure doesn't make sense to me for this particular match. If the Riverside was 15k then it would be less of an issue but as is it's broadly the same pricing as England v France which is in the middle of the heartlands and being played in a smaller stadium in Bolton.

Edited by Damien
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Damien said:

Thats good to hear.

My concern is just the fact that the Riverside Stadium is so big and this is one of the least attractive fixtures. With 35k seats to fill is a hell of a challenge anyway and keeping with a £25, £40 and £55 structure doesn't make sense to me for this particular match. If the Riverside was 15k then it would be less of an issue but as is it's broadly the same pricing as England v France which is in the middle of the heartlands and being playing in a smaller stadium in Bolton.

Absolutely agree - right from the outset this looked like the game likely to have the most empty seats. I wonder whether there's some kind of plan - perhaps we'll announce 10 000 free tickets for the armed forces based at Catterick or something like that.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...