Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

Well there looks to be a lot of ghosts World Cup past that can hopefully be reduced from people's memories today.

I can't promise it's not going to rain and I can't promise an England win as this Samoa team looks quality on paper but I do think today will set a new standard for major events in UK rugby league.

I'll be the one on the Quayside with my Newcastle Thunder jacket and England polo shirt and then in block T at the back of The Gallowgate End.

• Like 5

I hope everyone who is going to a game today has a fantastic time and that anybody still umming and arring finds a way to get to a game. St James's Park looks like it will be a fantastic event, genuinely good.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

19 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

I hope everyone who is going to a game today has a fantastic time and that anybody still umming and arring finds a way to get to a game. St James's Park looks like it will be a fantastic event, genuinely good.

Agreed - sad not to be going today, bet it will be incredible 

The BBC Breakfast programme has absolutely smashed it this morning. I can’t recall ever seeing such positive, extended free to air pre-match coverage of RL in my lifetime. 

That last segment was 15 minutes of pure RL wallowing. Fantastic. 

Edited by Northern Eel
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

The BBC Breakfast programme has absolutely smashed it this morning. I can’t recall ever seeing such positive, extended free to air pre-match coverage of RL in my lifetime. 

That last segment was 15 minutes of pure RL wallowing. Fantastic. 

A little ' dig ' at Union in the " you only get 6 tackles , you can't just keep recycling , recycling and having endless phases in RL " 

And the Sullivan point of being the first black captain of a GB team 

Edited by GUBRATS
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

2000 looked very positive in advance. 

It had a full panel of sponsors, like a real tournament. It had a lot of bold predictions that fell apart very quickly. 

This year we have a similar looking tournament, and we have gradually seen our aims reduce. First it was gonna be a million speccies. Then 750k, now we are aiming to beat women's euros. 

All England games were announced as likely to sell out. That won't happen. Women's opener guaranteed to be a record - turns out we are at 10k.

Substandard websites and other operational challenges. Struggled to get tv deals atc. 

We are living a huge cost of living crisis and rail strikes are causing some chaos. 

There are a lot of similarities. 

Thankfully, the good stuff outweighs the bad, and even where we are struggling it is from a far stronger position. 

But we can't be complacent. 

The negativity about the 2000 RLWC had already kicked in well before opening day.

Many fans were complaining about Twickenham and refusing to go, people like Stephen Jones in the UK and many journalists in Australia had already written pieces slamming the teams, especially the number of heritage players, bookies had Australia pretty much at $1.05, they were that confident the Kangaroos would go through undefeated.

That may still occur, though at least we getting to the starting line this time before it starts.

In terms of some of the changes in targets, the 750K target was removed after the tournament was postponed, the organisers have been aiming for the 500K+ in all their comms since then. 

I agree they've been overly eager to make matches sound like they are closer to sell outs than what they are, though I guess it doesn't get as positive media coverage if you go "venues are on track to be mostly full".

• Like 3

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

The day the Kangaroos play their first game in years and the match is not even listed on the Fox Sport fixture banner (no World Cup games are).

https://www.foxsports.com.au/

• Sad 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

Clare Balding just done a fantastic job explaining the spirit of the game on BBC 

Thanks Clare 

She has the zealot of a convert. An amazing ambassador for our game.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, Keith989 said:

Best of luck to all the teams. Really looking forward to this now! 

Please don’t take this as a personal dig but it really annoys me when people use this phrase. It’s counter intuitive.

I hope Samoa and Australia get no luck today 😁 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

The day the Kangaroos play their first game in years and the match is not even listed on the Fox Sport fixture banner (no World Cup games are).

https://www.foxsports.com.au/

Really? I just went to the Fox Sports site and it has all the RLWC fixtures up there.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

13 minutes ago, bratman said:

45k is fantastic IMO. Same as double header opener in 2013 which had the big draw of England/Australia.

And looked a lot worse in a 72k stadium with bright red and green seats.

After hearing the way they were talking recently, I was starting to think we might see something like 36k. To see a late upsurge is great, and definitely puts to bed comparisons with 2000.

9 minutes ago, Yakstorm said:

Really? I just went to the Fox Sports site and it has all the RLWC fixtures up there.

Not for me. Maybe it is from where you are visiting from.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Please don’t take this as a personal dig but it really annoys me when people use this phrase. It’s counter intuitive.

I hope Samoa and Australia get no luck today 😁 

Agreed. Come on England!