Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

23 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

That doesn't answer the question. FYI the comparative rates are orders of magnitude different. Japan has locked down; we have thrown open the gates and shouted "stuff it". I can understand some people being just a bit circumspect about visiting the UK at present.

The declared number and rate of infections depends on a number of factors, a key one in my view is the number and type of test and the percentage of those tests that are reported as positive as well as the honesty in reporting self tests and the demographics of country, demographics of admissions, geolocation. Add in hospital admissions, duration of stay, deaths, ICU case etc and you have a very complex set of figures that render comparisons difficult.

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.

Isaac Asimov

5 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

This isn't a post about COVID in general (so please don't take it that way mods) but more to point out just how ridiculous this could all end up looking for our antipodean friends. New cases today are 39,906 - which is over 4000 less than yesterday and 8000 less than the same day last week (for any Aussies reading that is important because we have peaks and troughs depending on what day of the week it is sometimes) - so whilst it's early, all the signs are we've 'peaked'. In the January peak, 3 months after recording 65k cases a day we were down to between 1500-2000 cases. Add to that the hugely severed links between cases and deaths in the UK, you can safely assume if this starts to follow a similar trend by 23rd Oct there will barely be any COVID in the UK. 

I think that's why they have done it now, chief.

Edited by Man of Kent
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

this has soured my relationship and love of watching nrl - wont be watching a fraction of the matches i used to do or buying any nrl merch - good job we not relying on them to come over and help us out in a world war or something - cowardly losers and quitters the lot of em.

Must admit I didn’t put Canberra v Paramatta on this morning, whereas I’d usually have had it on in the background while I was working. 

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Is Australia pulling out of the Olympics ?

Are the All blacks and Wallabies moth balling their teams?

Or are the rugby league players soft cowards?!

Pretty easy saying that,sat behind a keyboard 10,000 away and as been reported the players were not consulted on the decision.

• Like 1

maybe the kangaroos should change their kit from green and yellow just to plain yellow - there would be no question of the english going over there if it was the other way round - because at the end of the day we have the minerals and they don't 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

did the bloke who invented the phrase "one hit wonder" invent anything else?

10 minutes ago, Devon Ram said:

But what other sports are they up against a Man Utd or a Leeds United, Arsenal its a false argument even certain Non-League football teams in the UK get decent gates all their is down under is Rugby League, Union & Cricket. 

I think Damien was being rather facetious when he said that, after another poster suggested 99.2% of Aus population was in 5 cities that didn't include those areas. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Nuts isn`t it, the one thing they haven`t got that we have, that they would absolutely kill for and we want to stuff it up, as Irish said " you couldn`t make that stuff up". Any way mate it`s not about us tonight, as much as I`m up to my neck in the code wars down here, this is about the kick in the teeth to English League tonight.

Not quite the one thing, one of two things.  They never embraced the Origin concept in interstate matches, their version of State of Origin was more halfhearted, maybe because the Vics were worried about losing their dominance over SA and WA?  As they haven't interstate matches since 1999 SOO is another thing which RL has over them.

2 hours ago, Smudger06 said:

The disgraceful thing is the ARLC are now spinning it to be about covid safety and the masses are lapping it up.

Those who know, know this not to be the true Reason at all. Australia are sending cricketers to Bangladesh, no one knows the real situation on the ground regarding covid in that country. They have sent large Olympic teams to Japan. 

It's betrayal this is, a proper stab in the back. 

I can't imagine just how they expect anyone to buy that load of ###### when the Australian national RU team will be playing in Britain this November.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Just a quick line from me that calling out the players for this is both wrong and self defeating.

All the quotes I have seen from NRL players about the World Cup is that they are looking forward to it.  Similarly a survey quoted on here said that 75% of players were happy and ready to come. Some wouldn't but that is their choice.

But that choice has been taken away by the ARL and NZRL under pressure from the clubs.  The issue was the competition and the quarantine and how that would impact NRL 2022... the player welfare messaging is an attempt to deflect.  Give them the choice, don't take a potential once in a lifetime experience away from them without consultation. 

The players are as much a victim of this selfish decision as the fans.

The players could defy their clubs and come to play anyway, infact the first all golds tour did this and created the game in the SH.

Lets see if the players have the stones as ultimatley they will be on holiday and can do as they please as long as they report back for duty before the season starts.

14 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Pretty easy saying that,sat behind a keyboard 10,000 away and as been reported the players were not consulted on the decision.

The players could still play, the union clubs told the players not to go on the original tours.

Maybe the olympians and the union players just have more self respect

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Man of Kent said:

Adam Pearson pipes up with Super League clubs' very own 'selfish and parochial' view https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/adam-pearson-hull-fc-super-5686936

Could he not just shut up for a day?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

2 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Not quite the one thing, one of two things.  They never embraced the Origin concept in interstate matches, their version of State of Origin was more halfhearted, maybe because the Vics were worried about losing their dominance over SA and WA?  As they haven't interstate matches since 1999 SOO is another thing which RL has over them.

I can't imagine just how they expect anyone to buy that load of ###### when the Australian national RU team will be playing in Britain this November.

As the Aussie RU team and the All Black's basically chase money and will play anywhere for money why don't we just invite them to play in the WC? - they are over in the UK anyway so why not.

As they may get a hammering in some games we could even let them play with 15 men to help level up the paying field.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Adam Pearson pipes up with Super League clubs' very own 'selfish and parochial' view https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/adam-pearson-hull-fc-super-5686936

Selfish & Parochial, Superleague? Nah, wouldn't stand up in court, too drunk. Apart from relocating Catalans to Liverpool, it's not an M62 sport, at all.

NRL Players probably do more miles per season than SL Clubs do

Edited by Bleep1673

would like to hear something come from the mouths of some of the "stars" themselves - or have they been zipped by their overlords?

• Like 1

did the bloke who invented the phrase "one hit wonder" invent anything else?

51 minutes ago, RP London said:

Tokyo is in an a state of Emergency and Japan is pretty much locked down... 

Yeah - but what are the infection rates ?

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

45 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Today's announcement has probably revealed the existence of the RWC to many who wouldn't have known about it. 

You know what if this gets pulled back from the brink and they do come over, this whole fiasco will probably have been a boost to the tournament. 

• Like 4

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

18 hours ago, Eddie said:

Must admit I didn’t put Canberra v Paramatta on this morning, whereas I’d usually have had it on in the background while I was working. 

you missed a great game, though. 

Respect.

Edited by JohnM

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.

Isaac Asimov

2 hours ago, gavin7094 said:

Covid effectively out of control.

Hospital admissions threatening NHS again. 

Deaths rising. 

Increasing numbers of Super League games postponed or cancelled due to increasing cases. 

6 hour queues at Heathrow.

Euro 2020 spoiled by crowds storming the venue.

Then 2 weeks staring at 4 walls in a hotel room when you get home. 

Who wouldn't want to come here? 

Postpone it or play it in Australia. 

So nothing to do with planned Autumn tour mentioned in first statement pull the other one.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

can't imagine just how they expect anyone to buy that load of ###### when the Australian national RU team will be playing in Britain this November.

This is just the worst thing. The Brits will head indoors out of the rain on a Saturday afternoon and flick through the channels to find RU as the only significant international sporting programme on the TV. Suddenly our opportunity to be the sporting event to represent the return to normality will be brushed under the carpet to accommodate the RU. Thanks for doing your bit to finally finish off RL in the Northern Hemisphere guys.

Edited by Cheshire Setter
  • Like 4

Has anyone seen any reaction from the Australian / New Zealand women or wheelchair players? Was V'landys just talking about the men or all competitors? Wouldn't it look funny to the population of one of the (allegedly) most macho nations on earth if the women and disabled players arrived in the UK to play but the big, butch Aussie men weren't brave enough to?

• Like 3

• John Drake changed the title to Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)
  • John Drake locked this topic
  • John Drake unlocked this topic
  • John Drake locked and unlocked this topic