Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

This action is clearly proof that New Zealand is a client state. 

"A client state is a state that is economically, politically, or militarily subordinate to another more powerful state (termed controlling state in this article) in international relations. "

• Like 3

Four legs good - two legs bad

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Given how many cases there’s been in Super League and subsequent cancellations, I can see why they’d want no part of the competition unless plenty of conditions were met. We’re told they were met, which is then disappointing that they’ve then made this decision and even more frustrating that they gave four minutes notice and didn’t consult their players. 

I thought that at the start, but as their Union team are coming over in the autumn it’s blatantly nowt to do with their government’s concerns about Covid.   

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I thought that at the start, but as their Union team are coming over in the autumn it’s blatantly nowt to do with their government’s concerns about Covid.   

I don’t know what package or health and safety conditions the Union side have requested or had agreed, so it’s difficult to compare. That said, the organisers of the World Cup have said that they had agreed things with Australia, so it’s disappointing that it seems to have fallen through and/or not satisfied their needs and desires. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Allora said:

Just out of interest has anyone listened to the latest podcast of BBC 5 Live?
It was said that the New Zealand team would be sharing accomodation with general members of the pubic if they toured and were sharing Gym facilities with all and sundry walk ins.

I do not know if that is true but if it is it’s hardly any sort of safe bubble where you would feel safe.

Just saying.

They'd be using Headingley's Leeds Beckett Uni Gym facilities. These are used by pro athletes all the time, for example Leeds United used them for their first days back in preseason a couple of weeks ago an England RL in a mid season training session perfectly well in a bio secure way. Indeed I believe the kiwis have been there regularly before 

It is a huge professional campus with multiple facilities within it. Asking them to close all of it down to anyone who is not the 30 odd man Kiwi travelling team would be unreasonable. Likewise hotels, what are they actually expecting beyond what everyone else says is acceptable?

Its all conjecture anyway, I hope those trial games are good!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Tommygilf said:

They'd be using Headingley's Leeds Beckett Uni Gym facilities. These are used by pro athletes all the time, for example Leeds United used them for their first days back in preseason a couple of weeks ago an England RL in a mid season training session perfectly well in a bio secure way. Indeed I believe the kiwis have been there regularly before 

It is a huge professional campus with multiple facilities within it. Asking them to close all of it down to anyone who is not the 30 odd man Kiwi travelling team would be unreasonable. Likewise hotels, what are they actually expecting beyond what everyone else says is acceptable?

The reality is it is very easy to place such unreasonable demands on player treatment as to render the competition unworkable.

To be fair to them though, all of the hospitalisation and deaths of young professional athletes due to Covid shows that it just can't possibly be risked due to the enormous health risks.  Hang on a minute . . . . 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, JohnM said:

This action is clearly proof that New Zealand is a client state. 

"A client state is a state that is economically, politically, or militarily subordinate to another more powerful state (termed controlling state in this article) in international relations. "

A client state under the thumb of a bunch of small-time yokels, to boot.

• Like 2

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

19 minutes ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

Sorry if I'm repeating a question, couldn't see it in the 37 pages, but are Australia and new Zealand sending teams to the Olympics? If covid is such a threat then surely the same must apply for Tokyo!?

They care about the Olympics though.

38 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Who were saying this, official WC co-ordinators?

The reporter who asked the head of NZ Rugby League

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

13 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

So you are saying there was no isolation bubble at all?

Maybe that is why the Kiwis were worried?

I am neither for or against what has happened but some of the mad rubbish posted on this site in the last two days makes you wonder.

• Haha 6

23 minutes ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

Sorry if I'm repeating a question, couldn't see it in the 37 pages, but are Australia and new Zealand sending teams to the Olympics? If covid is such a threat then surely the same must apply for Tokyo!?

They are in total isolation.

The arenas are empty.

Have you ever heard of the term Apples and Apples?

• Haha 2

I love to make you laugh DKR, it makes my day mate

I mean DKW

Edited by Allora
  • Haha 1

Sharing a Gym with all and sundry hardly makes it any sort of Bubble at all.

Many Players from the Pacific Islands will not get a Vaccine where does that leave them in a Public Gym and Hotel with 40-50k cases a day?
Just playing Devils Advocate.

Edited by Allora
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Just to observe that that is a significantly weaker bubble than any international arrangement I'm currently aware of.

• Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, Allora said:

Sharing a Gym with all and sundry hardly makes it any sort of Bubble at all.

Many Players from the Pacific Islands will not get a Vaccine where does that leave them in a Public Gym and Hotel with 40-50k cases a day?
Just playing Devils Advocate.

That's some gym that has 50k cases a day.

Do you really believe that they are making the Oz/NZ teams share a gym with the public?  "After you on that machine please cobber?"

Give over.

Edited by FearTheVee
  • Like 6
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Allora said:

But Scubby you could research this if you wanted to.

I want Australia and NZ to attend the World Cup but it has to be done properly.

Not attending the WC has very little to do with covid, so it's irrelevant how proper something is if someone doesn't want to do it.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, FearTheVee said:

That's some gym that has 50k cases a day.

Do you really believe that they are making the Oz/NZ teams share a gym with the public?  "After you on that machine please cobber?"

Give over.

I didn’t say that did I.

You tell me are they sharing the Gym?

The head of the Kiwis said that, Tommygilf said it’s the way it is.

What do you know?

5 minutes ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

No such thing as total isolation! However I get your point. 

The team is isolated together, once they compete they fly home to 14 day isolation.

They isolated in Cairns before travelling to Japan.

4 minutes ago, Allora said:

I didn’t say that did I.

You tell me are they sharing the Gym?

The head of the Kiwis said that, Tommygilf said it’s the way it is.

What do you know?

I know that the World Cup organisers, in consultation with the Government, said they addressed NZRL's reasonable concerns - so if one of them was sharing a gym with the public, they are not being asked to share a gym with the public.  I would go as far as to say I can't imagine that they ever were being asked to share a gym with the public and suspect it is convenient exaggeration / misrepresentation from an agenda driven interview.

Surely if you are going to make such an enormous decision as to pull out of a World Cup you would set out all these concerns more clearly to help people understand?  Unless it wasn't actually the real reason I suppose. . . . .

Edited by FearTheVee
  • Like 7

7 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Not attending the WC has very little to do with covid, so it's irrelevant how proper something is if someone doesn't want to do it.

It has everything to do with Covid, a lot of the World does not agree with the UKs approach.

Tell me how is the Super League season going?

But.. but the experts tell us we will have herd immunity and no cases soon after the spike.. maybe.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Damien said:

And the way they are trying to duck out of hosting the 2025 world cup and lump it on France. Great for the game if it comes off, and I completely support France getting it if they can get the funding, but let's not kid ourselves that the NRL are pushing it only because they do not want to host it.

I'd have thought the chances of France getting government funding to host the world cup in 2025 have been greatly reduced in the last 24 hours or so, courtesy of Australia and New Zealand

• Like 8

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

• John Drake changed the title to Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)
  • John Drake locked this topic
  • John Drake unlocked this topic
  • John Drake locked and unlocked this topic