Aus & NZ invitational sides

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

Presumably now the RLWC are talking to "stakeholders" that will mean directly talking to players both in the SH and here in Europe for invitational sides.

If they can get squads I hope they go for it.

I think it’s quite handy that a Tonga Invitational team played very recently, when the inevitable complaints come in from ARL & NZRL

Being completely honest, I’ll probably be applying for a refund and now probably won’t bother going to any games. I don’t particularly want to see Jake Mamo suiting up for Australia, I wanted to see Latrell Mitchell (amongst others). 

The knock-on effect of Australian born players now representing Australia instead of an Italy, Scotland etc will also be felt and watching third or fourth choice players for those nations isn’t my cup of tea, either. 

41 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Being completely honest, I’ll probably be applying for a refund and now probably won’t bother going to any games. I don’t particularly want to see Jake Mamo suiting up for Australia, I wanted to see Latrell Mitchell (amongst others). 

The knock-on effect of Australian born players now representing Australia instead of an Italy, Scotland etc will also be felt and watching third or fourth choice players for those nations isn’t my cup of tea, either. 

Tbf though, you (and I) are probably in the minority of the target audience of the World Cup as first regular RL fans and secondly RL fans who are really aware of NRL players.

I think it will be important to wait and see. An invitational XII is not off the table at all given the reaction. 

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Throwing the towel in early?  There could be  a few surprises.

I'm an optimist at heart and even if Aus and NZ are being a bunch of fannies, and there were no other option, I'd support a tournament with two Invitational XIII sides.  

I'd just have to tell myself its like wartime and we have to make do.  Like when Australia sent over a depleted team during the Super League War, which also battered us.

9 minutes ago, frank said:

Throwing the towel in early?  There could be  a few surprises.

I’ll wait till we know for definite but given all the games I have tickets for so far are games involving Southern Hemisphere nations, I don’t want to watch scratch sides or see them replaced by nations like Serbia. 

Its not Just NZ and Aus though.  All the SH sides will normally be filled with NRL players?  Will Tonga, Samoa be able to send NRL based players to the WC?

Considering we have Tonga, Samoa, PNG, Fiji, Cook Islands, Lebanon all with NRL mainly players, they will also struggle to get teams together.

9 minutes ago, BridBeachRL said:

I would prefer inviting other teams in rather than creating a team out of UK Exiles type squads. USA and Canada and let's get on with it 

I think the point would be for NRL based players like Damien Cook etc to represent Australia and NZ without their NGB - like Tonga in the 2019 series. 

7 hours ago, Mattrhino said:

Could we come up with two sides from SL based players?

It wouldn’t need to be of players solely SL based though would it? Surely some Southern Hemisphere players would still want to travel and play in a World Cup for an Australia and New Zealand Invitational side. I think this is the way to go IMO.

54 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

At least we won't have to talk about Josh Hodgson playing for England anymore by the NRL lovers on here and we will go with our best 2 in Clarke and Roby.

In all seriousness, unless I've missed it nothing in today's decision suggests that English players in the NRL won't be able to play in the World Cup. 

4 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

In all seriousness, unless I've missed it nothing in today's decision suggests that English players in the NRL won't be able to play in the World Cup. 

How can they be stopped? Do you think James Graham wouldn’t have got on a plane? The NRL English boys need to show some collective support.

5 hours ago, crashmon said:

Its not Just NZ and Aus though.  All the SH sides will normally be filled with NRL players?  Will Tonga, Samoa be able to send NRL based players to the WC?

Considering we have Tonga, Samoa, PNG, Fiji, Cook Islands, Lebanon all with NRL mainly players, they will also struggle to get teams together.

Italy (no Italians) and Greece (about 4 Greeks) couldn’t play either. 

8 hours ago, Mattrhino said:

Could we come up with two sides from SL based players?

No. 

Just pencil in Aus and NZ as having defaulted and award the ties to their opponents. Do it, do it firmly, and do it, announce it now. 

Archived