And this is why there must not be an NRL Europe

Having had doubts I was slightly in favour of an NRL takeover of SL which has been previously rumoured. 

After the pull out of the Aussie and NZ teams from the World Cup I'm now 100% against it, the NRL must not have a single stake in the UK game. The NRL must not have a global monopoly on RL and an NRL Europe would create so many new issues for the sport including international RL. 

There are so many foreseen problems that would arise out of the NRL running SL, it's time to kill that idea off 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it ever happened we would basically be surviving hand to mouth at the will of a few administrators in Sydney who would have complete control of the sport including rule changes, when and where to have World Cups, when and if international games can be played. 

Time to fob the Aussies off and strengthen the game in France and Europe 

14 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

If it ever happened we would basically be surviving hand to mouth at the will of a few administrators in Sydney who would have complete control of the sport including rule changes, when and where to have World Cups, when and if international games can be played. 

Time to fob the Aussies off and strengthen the game in France and Europe 

It's making our decision not to support Toronto in their time of difficulty look even more short sighted. There is money in North America, and basically that's what the game here needs. Decisions made in Sydney are impacting the game here already. Having the NRL directly involved would be a disaster - it's 1895 time, folks. Have we got the b***s thay had back then to make the split?

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

47 minutes ago, tim2 said:

It's making our decision not to support Toronto in their time of difficulty look even more short sighted. There is money in North America, and basically that's what the game here needs. Decisions made in Sydney are impacting the game here already. Having the NRL directly involved would be a disaster - it's 1895 time, folks. Have we got the b***s thay had back then to make the split?

I always said that was our time to expand our reliance away from the NRL and develop a new RL power in the northern hemisphere to benefit both the domestic game and internationally in time. Yes it would have taken time and money but when someone had already put in millions and did a lot of groundwork it seemed ludicrous to throw it all away. The game will never have the money itself to do a quarter of what was achieved in Toronto in a short period of time.

3 hours ago, Damien said:

I always said that was our time to expand our reliance away from the NRL and develop a new RL power in the northern hemisphere to benefit both the domestic game and internationally in time. Yes it would have taken time and money but when someone had already put in millions and did a lot of groundwork it seemed ludicrous to throw it all away. The game will never have the money itself to do a quarter of what was achieved in Toronto in a short period of time.

After the dismissive and contemptuous statement by Pearson today, it's clear our SL chairmen are no more interested in International development or the celebration that the World Cup ought to be than V'landys and that shower down under.

The sport needs to regroup and focus on spreading the game and organising International competition amongst fledgling nations.

Let the ''freakish, stunted, inbred and inward looking, professional circus'' look after itself.

5 hours ago, The Daddy said:

Having had doubts I was slightly in favour of an NRL takeover of SL which has been previously rumoured. 

After the pull out of the Aussie and NZ teams from the World Cup I'm now 100% against it, the NRL must not have a single stake in the UK game. The NRL must not have a global monopoly on RL and an NRL Europe would create so many new issues for the sport including international RL. 

There are so many foreseen problems that would arise out of the NRL running SL, it's time to kill that idea off 

YEP 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

1 hour ago, fighting irish said:

After the dismissive and contemptuous statement by Pearson today, it's clear our SL chairmen are no more interested in International development or the celebration that the World Cup ought to be than V'landys and that shower down under.

The sport needs to regroup and focus on spreading the game and organising International competition amongst fledgling nations.

Let the ''freakish, stunted, inbred and inward looking, professional circus'' look after itself.

It's more clear than ever that the sport needs a whole new organization to lift it out of the small minded parochialism which holds it back in both hemispheres.

1 hour ago, Big Picture said:

It's more clear than ever that the sport needs a whole new organization to lift it out of the small minded parochialism which holds it back in both hemispheres.

After whats happened today i hope the RFL and Super League are going to stop putting hurdles in the way of teams who want to join our competitions when they meet the criteria, but i wont hold my breath

1 minute ago, The Future is League said:

After whats happened today i hope the RFL and Super League are going to stop putting hurdles in the way of teams who want to join our competitions when they meet the criteria, but i wont hold my breath

Neither would I, they're just as parochial when it serves their short term interest.

8 hours ago, The Daddy said:

I was in your camp until this. There are things we can learn from the NRL. But from now on, hands off. 

I now suspect the nrl plan is f the world. The world cup will die a death, everywhere other than the nrl will ho semi pro. Then in 20 years times some dik head will come up with the idea of the NRL world cup.

The sport is f%#&ed. 

9 hours ago, thebrewxi said:

I now suspect the nrl plan is f the world. The world cup will die a death, everywhere other than the nrl will ho semi pro. Then in 20 years times some dik head will come up with the idea of the NRL world cup.

The sport is f%#&ed. 

IT won't take that long similar to USA where NBA, MLB and NFL winners to call themselves champions of the world  soon the winners of the NRL Grand Final will claim to be world champions

19 hours ago, POR said:

IT won't take that long similar to USA where NBA, MLB and NFL winners to call themselves champions of the world  soon the winners of the NRL Grand Final will claim to be world champions

Then they can have a super dooper final of Footy!!!!!! against the AFL world champions.

On 22/07/2021 at 16:12, Eddie said:

I never saw it as a serious proposition anyway, wouldn’t happen in a month of Sundays. 

I never took it seriously either. Seemed to do the rounds as classic clickbait whenever there was a slow news day and would usually cite the vaguest of "sources" or quotes. 

One body running World Rugby League isn’t a bad idea. Not in the slightest. Let’s be honest, we arguably have seven major domestic leagues (the NRL, NSW Cup, Q-Cup, Super League, Championship League One and Elite 1) playing from two or three different sets of rules and the International game playing their own rules. Let’s be honest, it’s a mishmash of self interest and self governance, which is ultimately the downfall of the sport. 

Like most topics on the running and governance of Rugby League, any independent body would have to be exactly that. Independent. However, too many people have too much to lose by loosening their grip on their control of the sport in their respective circles by allowing truly independent people to run the sport, so it’s never really a possibility. 

3 hours ago, langpark said:

I never took it seriously either. Seemed to do the rounds as classic clickbait whenever there was a slow news day and would usually cite the vaguest of "sources" or quotes. 

Comes round as often as rumours of Eddie Hearn taking over Super League - both pie in the sky. 

3 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

One body running World Rugby League isn’t a bad idea. Not in the slightest. Let’s be honest, we arguably have seven major domestic leagues (the NRL, NSW Cup, Q-Cup, Super League, Championship League One and Elite 1) playing from two or three different sets of rules and the International game playing their own rules. Let’s be honest, it’s a mishmash of self interest and self governance, which is ultimately the downfall of the sport. 

Like most topics on the running and governance of Rugby League, any independent body would have to be exactly that. Independent. However, too many people have too much to lose by loosening their grip on their control of the sport in their respective circles by allowing truly independent people to run the sport, so it’s never really a possibility. 

Theory and practice are always two different things. For me, the solution is a strong IRL. The stronger they get, the more things like what you mention about varying rules (also a pet hate of mine) can stop happening. I know this will take a very long time to happen though. 

But the idea of NRL taking over is frightening. 

Archived