Simon Johnson

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, Swansea Jack said:

I do not know his CV, But his response to the Australia/ New Zealand withdrawal was very articulate. Rugby League needs an Intelligent spokesman.

Taxi for Ralph Rimmer?.

Agree, saw him on SSN and was very impressed with him. Rimmer would have just been using bland non-committal statements such as ‘we’re working hard to see how we can take things forward’ as usual. 

Just been having an argument on Facebook with an old mate from Fev.  His initial comment was that Johnson should resign immediately for calling the Aussies ‘Cowardly’.  I disagreed and said IMHO Johnson was being incredibly restrained.  I watched his interview on SKY and thought he came over articulate, measured and he hopefully planted the seed by stating that the Aussie players ought to raise their voice in the matter.

1 hour ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

His initial comment was that Johnson should resign immediately for calling the Aussies ‘Cowardly’.

I certainly think he should apologise and withdraw the remark. I think it's completely unacceptable to be labelling people as cowards, given the serious nature of what we're dealing with with Covid.

I understand the frustration, disappointment, even anger, but you don't say things like that. These are unprecedented times and lots of people are having to make tough decisions. To be throwing around accusations of cowardice, is pretty shameful.

1 minute ago, 17 stone giant said:

I certainly think he should apologise and withdraw the remark. I think it's completely unacceptable to be labelling people as cowards, given the serious nature of what we're dealing with with Covid.

I understand the frustration, disappointment, even anger, but you don't say things like that. These are unprecedented times and lots of people are having to make tough decisions. To be throwing around accusations of cowardice, is pretty shameful.

It’s nothing to do with Covid though is it? They’re using it as an excuse not to play in the northern hemisphere, and contract the game further. 

2 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

I took him as meaning their approach to dealing with the situation was cowardly - four minutes notice of a statement by whatsapp or whatever.

That to me absolutely IS a cowardly way to handle your business.

As for the other bozos around the place calling the players cowards - they need to give their head a wobble.

Just now, Eddie said:

It’s nothing to do with Covid though is it? They’re using it as an excuse not to play in the northern hemisphere, and contract the game further. 

Of course it's to do with Covid. Australia have played in every World Cup that I've watched since 1992, including coming here in 1995, 2000, 2013, etc. Not to mention coming here for numerous other Ashes and Tri/Four nations series.

9 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

getting a 4 minute warning over whatsapp means they deserve to be called all the things under the sun. It is cowardice, its outright lying, its shithousery, its pathetic, unprofessional, embarrassing, insular, cretinous.....the list goes no and on. For once they have been called out on it and I for one was chuffed to bits to see him do it. It wasnt shameful in the slightest.

6 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

Of course it's to do with Covid. Australia have played in every World Cup that I've watched since 1992, including coming here in 1995, 2000, 2013, etc. Not to mention coming here for numerous other Ashes and Tri/Four nations series.

Maybe they didn't find a good enough reason to cancel.  Like terrorism in 2001 (!), this is all just very convenient for an organisation that would rather pander to the NRL clubs than robustly support international RL.

2 minutes ago, FearTheVee said:

Maybe they didn't find a good enough reason to cancel.

Or maybe they only cancel (or think about cancelling) when there is something very serious and potentially life threatening to consider? Terrorism and Covid - I'd definitely have concerns about playing in conditions where those things are possible/likely.

15 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

It’s not, it’s about not disrupting the 2022 NRL season. 

2 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

Or maybe they only cancel (or think about cancelling) when there is something very serious and potentially life threatening to consider? Terrorism and Covid - I'd definitely have concerns about playing in conditions where those things are possible/likely.

How many healthy blokes in their 20s have died of Covid? They’re not being asked to play in Eyam in 1665. 

5 minutes ago, dkw said:

getting a 4 minute warning over whatsapp

What practical difference would it have made if they'd given a weeks notice? Other than giving the World Cup organisers more time to think about their response, what in reality would have changed? The Australians and New Zealanders had clearly reached a point that they felt there was no further conversations to be had. They'd been discussing everything for months, but they finally reached a decision that, despite all the assurances, they were still unable to go ahead. Lots of things have been cancelled for similar reasons in the past year and a half.

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

It’s not, it’s about not disrupting the 2022 NRL season. 

So how did they manage to play in all the other World Cups and competitions? In 2013 when they played in the WC here, how did they manage not to disrupt the 2014 NRL season? They didn't feel the need to cancel then, so why this time?

18 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

So how did they manage to play in all the other World Cups and competitions? In 2013 when they played in the WC here, how did they manage not to disrupt the 2014 NRL season? They didn't feel the need to cancel then, so why this time?

They are squealing because returning players have to quarantine for 2 weeks. Then along with a recent agreement struck with the RLPA, NRL clubs have to give players 6 weeks annual leave. This has all been put in place after the last Aussie visit to the UK - hence why the clubs are having a meltdown.

Johnson has articulated that they are trying to squirm around their own rules agreed with the RLPA.

45 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

Why are the aussie union team coming then? 

1 minute ago, Impartial Observer said:

Why are the aussie union team coming then? 

Cos they need the money more. Union in Oz is relatively poor and they make much more dosh playing in the UK than at home. 

Archived