Olympics, Tokyo 2020 (Merged Threads)

Three gold medals for GB&NI this morning. Swimmer Adam Peaty retains his title, Tom Daley & Matty Lee in the diving and Tom Pidcock in the mountain biking.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really pleased for Tom Pidcock. His road racing season had been going really well until he got knocked off his bike while out training. He produced some very impressive results in the spring classics. Like a lot of the best road riders from the Low Countries he's also shown his class in cyclo-cross and mountain biking.

Could go on to be a top Grand Tour rider. Going to be interesting to watch his career in the next few years.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

12 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

Thoroughly enjoyed that Triathlon. I thought when it started that I'd probably drift away after 20 or so minutes, but I ended up watching the whole thing. Incredible athletes. Great interviews with the two Brits as well. Both came across as great guys. Congrats to the Norwegian winner - I thought looking at him with five or so minutes to go that he wouldn't hold on - he was grimacing so much. But somehow he dug deep and powered home to a relatively comfortable win.

I was the same. Thought I'd give it a chance then was completely absorbed by it.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

2 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

Street Skateboarding,  Surfing, & Climbing are not legitimate sports. iMO

Disagree . I do a little bit of bodyboarding / kayaking in the surf . You need to be fit/strong/ flexible / brave and committed .I'm not very fit/strong/flexible/ brave or committed but it helps .......

Watching Brazil v Argentina in the Volleyball (real Volleyball, not the beach nonsense) and one of the Argentinian players has the surname "LOSER" on the back of his shirt. Naturally, the po-faced commentators insist on pronouncing it "Lo-zair". 😠

Seriously, there have been some excellent matches in the Volleyball so far.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

57 minutes ago, henage said:

Disagree . I do a little bit of bodyboarding / kayaking in the surf . You need to be fit/strong/ flexible / brave and committed .I'm not very fit/strong/flexible/ brave or committed but it helps .......

2024 Paris might struggle to host surfing along the Seine, climbing up the Eiffel Tower will be cool, Road cycling could be mixed with spectator dodging, 

Gymnastics: Simone Biles has pulled out of the US team in today's final, after her vault. That's like Usain Bolt (in his prime) pulling out of your relay team. Maybe even more so.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

GB&NI take bronze in the Women's Team Gymnastics, coming from 7th place after the first rotation. That's some good work, and their first medal in this event since 1928!

The team back then included a Doris, an Edith, an Ada, a Hilda and an Ethel. :kolobok_biggrin:

Ralph Waldo Emerson

We just got a team bronze in the Dressage too, apparently.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

19 hours ago, Sidi Fidi Gold said:

Apparently , Team GBs medal total is 2 ahead of what was predicted at this stage .

Just slightly ahead of Yorkshire, as was the case in 2012😁

No one has mentioned Georgia Taylor Brown !!

Stayed up till gone 3am watching the triathlon.

Gotta feel for the lass.

Was looking very strong then lost about 30 seconds when she got a flat tyre on the last lap of the cycling leg.

Did brilliant to make it up and get a silver medal.

Maybe just maybe she could have given Flora Duffy a run for her money.

8 minutes ago, yanto said:

Gotta feel for the lass.

Was looking very strong then lost about 30 seconds when she got a flat tyre on the last lap of the cycling leg.

Hard to tell. I've not seen the splits but Duffy looked very strong. The effort by Taylor Brown was monumental.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

29 minutes ago, yanto said:

Gotta feel for the lass.

I watched the last stage of the Triathlon. GTB was considered very strong on the running leg of the event, but so was Duffy. It would have been great to see them fight it out to the finish line without that puncture.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 hours ago, yanto said:

Gotta feel for the lass.

I watched it too. Great effort. Very unfortunate with the tyre.

Just tried to watch the softball, but had to turn over.

I've been enjoying as much as I can but finding the time difference annoying as I'm missing most of the main events.

As a result I've watched a fair bit of Taekwondo, where team GB always seem to lose in the last 10 seconds. It's decent to watch but I probably watch the points tally more than the action because it's so hard to tell.

I've never had a problem with new events really but I do think they're reaching a point where it is getting diluted. 3 on 3 basketball? What next 5 a side?

The essential problem they have is that once you've justified one sport it's hard to shut out another morally. For me, skateboarding didn't quite fit but if gymnastics is fine how can you say skateboarding isn't? I love a bit of darts and don't think it should necessarily be at the Olympics but if archery and shooting are there then morally what is the opposition? 

3 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I've been enjoying as much as I can but finding the time difference annoying as I'm missing most of the main events.

As a result I've watched a fair bit of Taekwondo, where team GB always seem to lose in the last 10 seconds. It's decent to watch but I probably watch the points tally more than the action because it's so hard to tell.

I've never had a problem with new events really but I do think they're reaching a point where it is getting diluted. 3 on 3 basketball? What next 5 a side?

The essential problem they have is that once you've justified one sport it's hard to shut out another morally. For me, skateboarding didn't quite fit but if gymnastics is fine how can you say skateboarding isn't? I love a bit of darts and don't think it should necessarily be at the Olympics but if archery and shooting are there then morally what is the opposition? 

The issue with darts - if everything else about snobbery etc didn't exist - probably would be that there probably isn't a big enough spread of potential gold medal countries and there likely isn't enough gender balance in competition winners. You'd also struggle to make the case that on any level would an Olympic competition be an impressive title within the sport, which is another deal breaker thrown at others.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

44 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

The issue with darts - if everything else about snobbery etc didn't exist - probably would be that there probably isn't a big enough spread of potential gold medal countries and there likely isn't enough gender balance in competition winners. You'd also struggle to make the case that on any level would an Olympic competition be an impressive title within the sport, which is another deal breaker thrown at others.

This is essentially the issue for me, the Olympics should be the pinnacle but I think with a number of sports (tennis, golf, football etc) this cannot be argued.

I commented on a YouTube video making the same point as you, one of its biggest obstacles is the lack of geographical spread but then again I wonder how many could honestly win the likes of Rugby 7s for instance. 

50 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

The issue with darts - if everything else about snobbery etc didn't exist - probably would be that there probably isn't a big enough spread of potential gold medal countries 

As opposed to Basketball, or Baseball?

Archived