Olympics, Tokyo 2020 (Merged Threads)

1 minute ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I wonder how many could honestly win the likes of Rugby 7s for instance. 

Seven nations have won medals across the three completed tournaments - and that doesn't include France - so they're probably okay. Samoa and Tonga were probably expected to also be more competitive but have dropped off too.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

As opposed to Basketball, or Baseball?

Korea won the last Olympic baseball gold, Japan won the softball yesterday.

Cuba have won gold most times.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

10 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

This is essentially the issue for me, the Olympics should be the pinnacle but I think with a number of sports (tennis, golf, football etc) this cannot be argued.

I commented on a YouTube video making the same point as you, one of its biggest obstacles is the lack of geographical spread but then again I wonder how many could honestly win the likes of Rugby 7s for instance. 

There are 21 ranked teams in Rugby 7's, in 2019, this was included for London 2012, obviously from a bit of arm twisting from IRFU

https://www.world.rugby/sevens-series/standings/mens?lang=en

I still say it's becoming too event heavy.

3 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

There are 21 ranked teams in Rugby 7's, in 2019, this was included for London 2012, obviously from a bit of arm twisting from IRFU

https://www.world.rugby/sevens-series/standings/mens?lang=en

I still say it's becoming too event heavy.

Not much arm-twisting needed when Jacques Rogge, the president of the IOC at the time of Sevens being accepted as an Olympic sport, was a Rugby Union man.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, Futtocks said:

Not much arm-twisting needed when Jacques Rogge, the president of the IOC at the time of Sevens being accepted as an Olympic sport, was a Rugby Union man.

I was more surprised it wasn't included in the 2000 Olympics, that would be a thumb in the eye of NRL

1 hour ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I've been enjoying as much as I can but finding the time difference annoying as I'm missing most of the main events.

As a result I've watched a fair bit of Taekwondo, where team GB always seem to lose in the last 10 seconds. It's decent to watch but I probably watch the points tally more than the action because it's so hard to tell.

I've never had a problem with new events really but I do think they're reaching a point where it is getting diluted. 3 on 3 basketball? What next 5 a side?

The essential problem they have is that once you've justified one sport it's hard to shut out another morally. For me, skateboarding didn't quite fit but if gymnastics is fine how can you say skateboarding isn't? I love a bit of darts and don't think it should necessarily be at the Olympics but if archery and shooting are there then morally what is the opposition? 

I'd rather see 5 a side football in there than the 11-a-side U21 fiasco.

I remember that every year (70s / 80s) there's be a five a side tournament televised on the BBC. It was enjoyable and skillful.

In fact, this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Five-a-Sides_(England)

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Seven nations have won medals across the three completed tournaments - and that doesn't include France - so they're probably okay. Samoa and Tonga were probably expected to also be more competitive but have dropped off too.

There are 9 nations represented in the PDC top 32. The World Cup of Darts is a 32 team tournament (with the UK nations separate of course).

I bet there's a fair few sports with less spread than that. 

Just now, Maximus Decimus said:

I bet there's a fair few sports with less spread than that. 

Almost certainly but they're not trying to get in.

By Olympic countries, the number of countries who've won either the team World Cup or individual world title is three.

I'm not, incidentally, against it, I just think there's too many individual things stacked against it for it to happen even if it was something the darts bodies actually wanted to do.

25 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Almost certainly but they're not trying to get in.

By Olympic countries, the number of countries who've won either the team World Cup or individual world title is three.

I'm not, incidentally, against it, I just think there's too many individual things stacked against it for it to happen even if it was something the darts bodies actually wanted to do.

I agree, I don't think it should be in the Olympics. I was just making the point that in many cases, it's hard to disqualify one sport based on the inclusion of other sports. 

16 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I agree, I don't think it should be in the Olympics. I was just making the point that in many cases, it's hard to disqualify one sport based on the inclusion of other sports. 

You might like this https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/olympics/2021/07/21/olympic-sport-dominance-country/

46 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Darts, the only sport where drinking alcohol while participating is actively encouraged. About as much chance as Live Pigeon Shooting, or Tug-of-war being reintroduced. 

Not since about 1989 it isn’t . 

53 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Yeh I noticed this. If the WC of darts gave a bronze to every semi-finalist like in boxing, there'd have been 8 medalists from the last 3 tournaments.

As you pointed out, bigger problem might be where it fits prestige wise. There's talk of making the prize money for the World Champs winner £1m, can't see them choosing a gold medal over that. 

1 minute ago, DavidM said:

Not since about 1989 it isn’t . 

There's still a drinking culture I reckon but much less so. Personally, I've never understood it. Get half a pint in me and I can't hit a single. 

However, often obese middle-aged blokes aren't likely to be a look the Olympics are going to want to go with. 

1 minute ago, Maximus Decimus said:

There's still a drinking culture I reckon but much less so. Personally, I've never understood it. Get half a pint in me and I can't hit a single. 

However, often obese middle-aged blokes aren't likely to be a look the Olympics are going to want to go with. 

I presumed he meant the pros seeing we were talking about the Olympics . 

1 hour ago, Bleep1673 said:

Darts, the only sport where drinking alcohol while participating is actively encouraged. About as much chance as Live Pigeon Shooting, or Tug-of-war being reintroduced. 

I'm pretty sure Tug-of-War has been an Olympic sport at some point. Having actually seen a proper ToW international, it was mightily impressive, not just for the strength and conditioning of the competitors, but their teamwork too.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

19 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I'm pretty sure Tug-of-War has been an Olympic sport at some point. Having actually seen a proper ToW international, it was mightily impressive, not just for the strength and conditioning of the competitors, but their teamwork too.

Give it a new name like 'Team Strength Pulling' and it'll be in like a shot. 

4 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

If it was a working class sport I somehow doubt it'd be there! 

Unlike those posh sports that have been introduced, such as skateboarding and BMX.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

9 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Basically the Olympics is like Fred Trueman’s indoor league only massively expanded 

Clare Balding should sign of with "I'll sithee" at the end of each day's highlights programme.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Clare Balding should sign of with "I'll sithee" at the end of each day's highlights programme.

Viewing figures would rocket . The tension when the USA played Russia in the skittles gold medal match would be unbearable 

Just now, Maximus Decimus said:

Not sure I'd call them working class sports though.

Really?

Ralph Waldo Emerson

7 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I'm really enjoying the gymnastics commentator who sounds a lot like Cannon or Ball, I'm not quite sure which. 

Archived