Olympics, Tokyo 2020 (Merged Threads)

Just now, Maximus Decimus said:

I'm really enjoying the gymnastics commentator who sounds a lot like Cannon or Ball, I'm not quite sure which. 

If you're watching the BBC, that'll be Craig Heap. He's nearly fifty, but is still as excitable as a 12-year-old kid on his third bottle of Tizer.

He was a decent gymnast, by the British standards of the day.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Futtocks said:

Really?

Really. The sorts of kids who do skateboarding are just as likely to be middle class in my experience. Tony Hawk is hardly some guy from a trailer park. 

Dressage has been at the Olympics for way over 100 years. Would it be if it wasn't a sport associated with privilege, I'm not so sure. 

6 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

If you're watching the BBC, that'll be Craig Heap. He's nearly fifty, but is still as excitable as a 12-year-old kid on his third bottle of Tizer.

He was a decent gymnast, by the British standards of the day.

The commentators can really add to a sport, the diving likewise benefits from a likeable and excitable announcer. 

3 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Really. The sorts of kids who do skateboarding are just as likely to be middle class in my experience. Tony Hawk is hardly some guy from a trailer park. 

Dressage has been at the Olympics for way over 100 years. Would it be if it wasn't a sport associated with privilege, I'm not so sure. 

Understood, but neither sport is posh, just widespread.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

The commentators can really add to a sport, the diving likewise benefits from a likeable and excitable announcer. 

BBC Gymnastics commentary lost Mitch Fenner a few years ago, but Christine Still and Craig Heap bring a good contrast to their coverage.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

During the 1900's, Chess was an Olympic sport, why not introduce Competitive Sudoku?

Give 4 players, identical boards, and graded over 6 rounds.

Start like diving with 2 easy ones, then 2 difficult, then 2 Olympian.

Not all competing countries have a "working class" syndrome.  I think it's possibly true that in the Uk some sports require access to more time and money than others and maybe have a route that starts at university. 

Charlotte Dujardin (despite commentators trying to pronounce her name the French way when as I understand it its pronounced Doo Jar Din ) is British, ex comprehensive schoolgirl and very early achiever with a highly motivated mother. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlotte_Dujardin

15 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Not all competing countries have a "working class" syndrome.  I think it's possibly true that in the Uk some sports require access to more time and money than others and maybe have a route that starts at university. 

Charlotte Dujardin (despite commentators trying to pronounce her name the French way when as I understand it its pronounced Doo Jar Din ) is British, ex comprehensive schoolgirl and very early achiever with a highly motivated mother. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlotte_Dujardin

Are you replying to a point that hasn't been made?

Thankfully, the next UK Sport funding cycle is meant to open up funding to sports such as basketball based on a recognition that qualifying and competing deep in European and World events in that sport is 'elite'.

Which is a better use of funding than giving Modern Pentathlon £6m so we get an additional silver at the Olympics.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

31 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Comment stimulated by an earlier post about "working class" sports.

Ah, sorry, see it now.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

21 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I swear every time I watch women's football the standard has gone up again.

That's because it has.

Yours,

A Hastings United (Women's) Season Ticket Holder

23 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I swear every time I watch women's football the standard has gone up again.

Here's hoping Team GB can hold on for 15 mins against the Aussies. 

They didn't hold on.

It looks absolutely brutal temperature wise out there. I don't have sound on so don't know what they're saying about that.

Just now, gingerjon said:

That's because it has.

Yours,

A Hastings United (Women's) Season Ticket Holder

It certainly has a higher profile among young girls, loads would play it outside of school. Everton and Liverpool ladies both played in Widnes at one point but it seems neither do now. 

Just now, Maximus Decimus said:

It certainly has a higher profile among young girls, loads would play it outside of school. Everton and Liverpool ladies both played in Widnes at one point but it seems neither do now. 

Everton have their own ground now. Liverpool, such is how they support their team, probably play in a pit with glass on the floor somewhere.

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

They didn't hold on.

It looks absolutely brutal temperature wise out there. I don't have sound on so don't know what they're saying about that.

Yes the power of jinx is strong with this one. 

The Aussie coach is winning the award for most annoying member of any Olympic team. 

2 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

That's gonna hurt that one, shouldn't have been going out there. 

Must be a hangover from RL but I hate losing to the Aussies. 

We won't hear the last of that result for a long time.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

21 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

We won't hear the last of that result for a long time.

*sticks fingers in ears*

6 minutes ago, yanto said:

NL v USA

Another level again. 

Dutch  should have had this in the bag.

😒

Sounding like a good game

10 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Sounding like a good game

Leike Martens missed a 80th minute penalty and had a 95th minute goal wiped out.

Second half of extra time and the Dutch dominating the USA who have lost once in forty odd games.

Hup Holland Hup.

🇳🇱 🇳🇱🇳🇱🇳🇱🇳🇱🇳🇱 

On 28/07/2021 at 17:52, Futtocks said:

I'm pretty sure Tug-of-War has been an Olympic sport at some point. Having actually seen a proper ToW international, it was mightily impressive, not just for the strength and conditioning of the competitors, but their teamwork too.

Tug-of-war  was an Olympic sport in London 1908.

Archived