Olympics, Tokyo 2020 (Merged Threads)

6 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

If Djokovic loses the Bronze medal match he will have lost 3 matches in a row, Mens Semi, Mixed doubles semi, mens Bronze, 3 in a row probably for the 1st time in his career. 

He lost, next is the Bronze medal match in Mixed Doubles.

I think the modern dominating Mens tennis trio of Nadal, Federer, & Djokovic might be coming to an end, in the next 18 months, or sooner.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I'm pretty sure he represented the UK previously? I remember it being somewhat controversial as a Catholic Northern Irishman. 

I think he considered representing the UK before settling for Ireland. He also said that he would represent Northern Ireland if such an option were available. Simply put, he has three national identities and embraces all of them.

53 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

I think he is so used to winning that he got angry with himself. Smashing a racquet, and chucking one into the stands is unforgivable for a player of his standards though. Bronze went to the better player.

His meltdown came shortly after he made a comment to the press about Simone Biles, saying that champions know how to handle pressure.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

Have you only just noticed? I have had a crush on her for 20 years.

Since that body paint pictorial she did?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

the olympics should be 

track and field

swimming and diving 

gymnastics events 

AND THATS IT !

Nope.

Archery, shooting, boxing, cycling (Track & Road), horses stuff, and some limited sailing.

Not these mixed relay c*ap though. Not surfing, climbing, Skateboarding or BMX.

2 hours ago, Futtocks said:

His meltdown came shortly after he made a comment to the press about Simone Biles, saying that champions know how to handle pressure.

I make only the observation that it seems that his fabled powers of recovery and stamina seem a little weaker at a tournament with somewhat more stringent testing than even the Grand Slams manage.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 hours ago, gingerjon said:

I make only the observation that it seems that his fabled powers of recovery and stamina seem a little weaker at a tournament with somewhat more stringent testing than even the Grand Slams manage.

Why would you make that "observation" unless you're suggesting he's 'cheating' somehow?

I've looked briefly at his Olympic record and in 2008 he lost in the SF to Nadal (before winning Bronze), in 2012 in the SF to Murray at Wimbledon, in 2016 in the 1st round to the guy who won the Silver, and this time in the SF. I'd say that's a pretty decent effort.

11 hours ago, tim2 said:

He's also still angry that the crowds don't give him love and respect. Maybe he should watch a replay of his behaviour in the mens' bronze medal match.

Why did Serbia pull out of the mixed doubles bronze medal match?

2 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Why did Serbia pull out of the mixed doubles bronze medal match?

Shoulder injury for Djokovic. Better reason than "tired and annoyed after losing in the singles" and means that Piers Morgan won't go after him.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Another BMX gold.  Now give them some of that rowing fortune.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

13 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

Nope.

Archery, shooting, boxing, cycling (Track & Road), horses stuff, and some limited sailing.

Not these mixed relay c*ap though. Not surfing, climbing, Skateboarding or BMX.

I get the argument with some of these but climbing is the perfect Olympic sport. Faster, higher, stronger. It covers all of those. And easy enough to understand for people watching. There's 3 disciplines and each one (with the exception of maybe bouldering) is very very easy tell who is doing well. And no judging required. 

On 30/07/2021 at 12:00, gingerjon said:

Everton have their own ground now. Liverpool, such is how they support their team, probably play in a pit with glass on the floor somewhere.

They've played (for the last 3 seasons) at a ground with a capacity of over 16 000, some 5 miles from Anfield.  You're right about the level of support given, of course.

8 minutes ago, JonM said:

They've played (for the last 3 seasons) at a ground with a capacity of over 16 000, some 5 miles from Anfield.  You're right about the level of support given, of course.

Tranmere?

I'd forgotten that. But now I'm getting a memory of some pitch issues which led to them either having to postpone or move games?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Tranmere?

I'd forgotten that. But now I'm getting a memory of some pitch issues which led to them either having to postpone or move games?

Flooding - which affected Tranmere games too, of course. I think quite a bit has been spent to try to prevent that happening again.

1 hour ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Another BMX gold.

That will undoubtedly be one of my moments of the Games. I watched it without having a clue about her or the event, and I was blown away by what I saw. To put in that performance having fallen in the first round, and with a score of 96 something to beat, was simply incredible.

Gold for Max Whitlock, defending his Rio title, in the Gymnastics pommel horse final.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 hours ago, glossop saint said:

I get the argument with some of these but climbing is the perfect Olympic sport. Faster, higher, stronger. It covers all of those. And easy enough to understand for people watching. There's 3 disciplines and each one (with the exception of maybe bouldering) is very very easy tell who is doing well. And no judging required. 

100%

The new sports are the way forward for the Olympics. Less barrier to entry and the Games would be their pinnacle.

Get rid: Soccer, Golf, Tennis, Baseball, Rugby

I appreciate it has a long history in the Olympics but Equestrian could go for me.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Archived