Olympics, Tokyo 2020 (Merged Threads)

Athletics, and just after Rojas breaks the women's world triple jump record, the two remaing men's high jump competitors agree to share gold. Absolute scenes.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just as Tamberi calms down, his countryman wins the 100m and he's off again, the loon.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Rumours abounding that a Belarus athlete has criticised her country's government, and been spirited away to the airport by "team officials". Sinister if true.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

That will undoubtedly be one of my moments of the Games. I watched it without having a clue about her or the event, and I was blown away by what I saw. To put in that performance having fallen in the first round, and with a score of 96 something to beat, was simply incredible.

Absolutely jaw-dropping display of skill by Charlotte Worthington. Loved the way the fall didn't affect her confidence one little bit. The U.S. thought they had the gold in the bag after the first round.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

4 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Rumours abounding that a Belarus athlete has criticised her country's government, and been spirited away to the airport by "team officials". Sinister if true.

More here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-58046183 

With the eyes of the world upon the Olympics, surely this can't happen?

Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 hours ago, Futtocks said:

She didn't even criticise the government, she complained about being entered in the 400m relay, which isn't her event.  That was enough apparently.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

11 hours ago, Futtocks said:

There are a lot of properly dramatic threads from journalists on Twitter about this but it does now seem that she is safe and under police protection in Japan.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Mmm. That helped. But even when she was competing. 

She had her fourth child not that long ago I believe. She's in her late forties - obviously still very athletic.

47 minutes ago, JonM said:

She had her fourth child not that long ago I believe. She's in her late forties - obviously still very athletic.

Most of the women with 4 kids around here, are still in the teens, weight wise stones as well.

19 hours ago, Futtocks said:

A sprinter from Belarus who refused her team's order to fly home early from the Olympics has been granted a humanitarian visa by Poland.

Krystina Timanovskaya, 24, is at the Polish embassy in Tokyo after spending the night secured in a hotel under protection from Japanese police.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-58052144

3 hours ago, Damien said:

A sprinter from Belarus who refused her team's order to fly home early from the Olympics has been granted a humanitarian visa by Poland.

Krystina Timanovskaya, 24, is at the Polish embassy in Tokyo after spending the night secured in a hotel under protection from Japanese police.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-58052144

I think they were saying on the radio that her husband has got himself out of the country (and to Ukraine, I think) as there was a fear the government would use him to try to get her back.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

28 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I think they were saying on the radio that her husband has got himself out of the country (and to Ukraine, I think) as there was a fear the government would use him to try to get her back.

Yes it says that in the BBC report too. I'm sure she will be fearing about her wider family too though.

A mixture of chaotic performances and record-breaking at the velodrome this morning. Entertaining, but not always for the right reasons.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Be even faster if they didn’t put all those barriers in the way he had to jump over . Be dancing in the streets of Oslo today 

Someone’s worked out it the equivalent of 43.20 on the flat.

only 3 people gone under 47 seconds and he’s one of them, now he’s gone under 46.

24 minutes ago, Live after death said:

Someone’s worked out it the equivalent of 43.20 on the flat.

only 3 people gone under 47 seconds and he’s one of them, now he’s gone under 46.

I remember thinking that, when Ed Moses retired, his record was going to stand for a long time. Then I watched Kevin Young break it pretty soon afterwards, despite his rudimentary* hurdling technique. Now Warholm's broken the WR twice in a year.

*I'm being polite

Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I remember thinking that, when Ed Moses retired, his record was going to stand for a long time. Then I watched Kevin Young break it pretty soon afterwards, despite his rudimentary* hurdling technique. Now Warholm's broken the WR twice in a year.

*I'm being polite

Saw Kevin Young ran at the south Leeds stadium 96 ish. Got sat near him in the stands after his race, nice guy, very stick thin in real life.

19yo Wiganer Keely Hodgkinson gets GB's first track medal with a silver in the 800m, and breaks Kelly Holmes' national record in the process.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

48 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

19yo Wiganer Keely Hodgkinson gets GB's first track medal with a silver in the 800m, and breaks Kelly Holmes' national record in the process.

Quick time too . The world is her lobster now fitness permitting . We had one other pipped on the line as well 

Archived