Olympics, Tokyo 2020 (Merged Threads)

26 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Quick time too . The world is her lobster now fitness permitting . We had one other pipped on the line as well 

Jemma Reekie may have just been pipped to the Bronze, but she ran a PB, so I don't think she could have done more.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Futtocks said:

19yo Wiganer Keely Hodgkinson gets GB's first track medal with a silver in the 800m, and breaks Kelly Holmes' national record in the process.

LOL. Waiting for our resident leythers to rise to this provocation 🙂

• John Drake changed the title to Olympics, Tokyo 2020 (Merged Threads)
6 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Jemma Reekie may have just been pipped to the Bronze, but she ran a PB, so I don't think she could have done more.

The 3rd UK runner also ran a PB. Can't ask for more

Liked this one about Keely Hodgkinson :

Seem to be doing quite well in the boxing ring but coming up short everytime we meet a Cuban. 

I'm really not a fan of the scoring system though. The 10-9 system is OK over 12 rounds but doesn't seem accurate enough for a 3 round fight IMO. Fraser Clarke gave his semi-final opponent a standing count in the 2nd round but was still given 10-9 against by 4 of the judges. 

I've seen a few fights now where the fight is basically won by the 3rd round barring an unlikely KO, despite it being a competitive fight. 

27 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Seem to be doing quite well in the boxing ring but coming up short everytime we meet a Cuban. 

Everyone comes up short when they meet a Cuban in amateur boxing is the way it has pretty much always been.

(I have now exhausted the sum total of my knowledge of amateur boxing).

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

Everyone comes up short when they meet a Cuban in amateur boxing is the way it has pretty much always been.

(I have now exhausted the sum total of my knowledge of amateur boxing).

Yes, the Cuban production line of stylish and lightning-fast boxers keeps going. It is always their strongest sport when it comes to medals.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

They have a fantastic style , which is well attuned to the scoring systems , for the amateur game . Obviously some have gone on to achieve good professional success although not always with a style that’s gone down well with fans . I’ve seen guys like Erislandy Lara and Rigondeaux basically get booed ( yes by US fans ) as they’re winning round after round 

The men's team pursuit final in the velodrome this morning was a classic!

Ralph Waldo Emerson

51 minutes ago, DavidM said:

They have a fantastic style , which is well attuned to the scoring systems , for the amateur game . Obviously some have gone on to achieve good professional success although not always with a style that’s gone down well with fans . I’ve seen guys like Erislandy Lara and Rigondeaux basically get booed ( yes by US fans ) as they’re winning round after round 

As a chap who was much more Chuck Wepner than Muhammed Ali, I am against this.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

KJT is out of the Heptathlon, after pulling up injured in the 200m.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

58 minutes ago, JohnM said:

First this and now Team GB overtake them in the medals table! Bad day for our cousins. 

4 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

First this and now Team GB overtake them in the medals table! Bad day for our cousins. 

They got 8 golds in 2016 and the same in 2012, so the fact that they're on 15 already suggests they've had a very good Olympics so far.

5 minutes ago, JonM said:

They got 8 golds in 2016 and the same in 2012, so the fact that they're on 15 already suggests they've had a very good Olympics so far.

They usually overachieve relative to their size, the swimming is where they've had a bad couple of games but got back up to speed this year. 

3 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

They usually overachieve relative to their size, the swimming is where they've had a bad couple of games but got back up to speed this year. 

They are good at swimming.

We made up for it by throwing money at it, as they had done before.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

11 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

They are good at swimming.

We made up for it by throwing money at it, as they had done before.

I was just reading about this on another site. The more nuanced version seems to be that we are better at swimming coaching. So it's not so much the raw talent coming in at the bottom of the pyramid but the way they are coached on the way up.

18 minutes ago, Farmduck said:

I was just reading about this on another site. The more nuanced version seems to be that we are better at swimming coaching. So it's not so much the raw talent coming in at the bottom of the pyramid but the way they are coached on the way up.

Yes.

We should thank @Chairman M.

Omnium gold for Matthew Walls in the velodrome!

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Track Cycling: Laura Kenny and Katie Archibald in the women's Madison carried out a relentless massacre of the entire field, from start to finish. That's as emphatic a gold as you can get.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

A few days ago we were talking about sports dominated by individual countries, like basketball with the US. 

It got me thinking, if they took away the maximum number of athletes from each country, which sports would be most dominated by a single country? 

My gut says something like table tennis or diving but I wouldn't know any stats. 

Archived