Olympics, Tokyo 2020 (Merged Threads)

A tale of two relay medals in 4x100m.

The GB women messed up their first change, but Daryll Neita stormed the home straight, overtaking two teams to get bronze.

The GB men had a slick interchange and were leading right up to the end, when they were pipped by Italy on the line. Silver, by one hundredth of a second.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, Live after death said:

Laura Muir a global medal at last, silver and a massive PB/British record. 

Both of Kelly Holmes' national records have gone in a week.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Track Cycling: Laura Kenny and Katie Archibald in the women's Madison carried out a relentless massacre of the entire field, from start to finish. That's as emphatic a gold as you can get.

That was absolutely phenomenal , when you see races such as this , the scratch race , the points race , there always seems to be so much left to chance , but they came in with a plan and executed it perfectly . 

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

A tale of two relay medals in 4x100m.

The GB women messed up their first change, but Daryll Neita stormed the home straight, overtaking two teams to get bronze.

The GB men had a slick interchange and were leading right up to the end, when they were pipped by Italy on the line. Silver, by one hundredth of a second.

That was a socking exchange , also the handover from Dina to Neita was very safe . It just goes to show how far the 4x100 women have come , when you can do a series of bad change overs and still win a medal . It was only 9 years ago , at London 2012 , when we didn't even qualify a team for the Olympics .

13 minutes ago, Live after death said:

Laura muir was already British record  holder in the 1500 set ut a few years ago.

Ah, okay. The Eurosport commentator said something about the record going, so Laura must have broken her own one.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 06/08/2021 at 09:59, Futtocks said:

Track Cycling: Laura Kenny and Katie Archibald in the women's Madison carried out a relentless massacre of the entire field, from start to finish. That's as emphatic a gold as you can get.

The men's team got silver, in a race that was in the balance right up to the end.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Unexpected medal alert! Josh Kerr ran a brilliant 1500m for bronze and was about to pass the second-place runner when the finish line arrived.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Beat me to it. 

No fluke either - that was a fast race, not a tactical one.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

That's Olympic medal No.11 for Allyson Felix, as the USA dominate the 4x400m relay. She goes past Carl Lewis with that total.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Was just watching the women's cycling omnium. I can't believe there are so many competitors in the race. I was watching it thinking it must be terrifying without any brakes, and was amazed that they were all still riding. Wind it forward a minute or so and there were loads of fallers. Absolute mayhem. Just pleased that everyone seemed to have avoided serious injury. Surely that needs to be looked at so that there is fewer riders in each race.

Jason Kenny decided the best tactic was to ride faster than anyone else from start to finish. It appears to work.

Equally comprehensive was Lauren Price's win in the boxing. That bout was why I like amateur boxing. Skill, speed and strength. She's also a kickboxing world champion and played 50+ times for Wales at football. I reckon she'd make a pretty good rugby league player.

Overall a way better performance by GB than I was expecting. Several big names didn't make the start line were injured or had surprise defeats so to surpass London and get close to Rio was very impressive. Medalled in 25 different sports (most of any country) and a lot of 4th places too. 

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

54 minutes ago, tim2 said:

Jason Kenny decided the best tactic was to ride faster than anyone else from start to finish. It appears to work.

Equally comprehensive was Lauren Price's win in the boxing. That bout was why I like amateur boxing. Skill, speed and strength. She's also a kickboxing world champion and played 50+ times for Wales at football. I reckon she'd make a pretty good rugby league player.

Overall a way better performance by GB than I was expecting. Several big names didn't make the start line were injured or had surprise defeats so to surpass London and get close to Rio was very impressive. Medalled in 25 different sports (most of any country) and a lot of 4th places too. 

Yes indeed...with one exception. Medalled. WTF? MEDALLED?😱😱😱😱😱😱

👹👹👹👹👹👹👹👹👹...

😃😃😃😃😃😃

On 25/07/2021 at 10:54, Bleep1673 said:

1. There are some sports that haven't even been mentioned, B. Volley, Vollyball, Base/Softball, Handball, which was such a big hit at London2012.

2. Pundits reckon GB&NI will win 11 Golds, I reckon on 5-6. The Athletes have become similar to Rocky Balboa in Rocky III, soft in the underbelly, if an Elite Athlete is predicted to win Gold & doesn't, they should have their funding reduced by 25%, if they don't win a medal at all, lose 50%.

3. I watched the BBC documentary on iPlayer about how we turned around a 1 Gold, 36th Place in Atlanta, to 2nd Place in the table in Rio, but a lot of our elite have retired.

22 Gold Bleep not 5 or 6 and a combined total of 65 medals. Well done to all the competitors, I’ve really enjoyed the games and the BBC coverage. One slight criticism of the coverage, too much chatting from the commentators/pundits in the studios.

France win the men's and women's handball. Totally dominant today versus 'Russia' in the women's final.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

59 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Yes indeed...with one exception. Medalled. WTF? MEDALLED?😱😱😱😱😱😱

👹👹👹👹👹👹👹👹👹...

😃😃😃😃😃😃

Any noun can be verbed

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

1 hour ago, tim2 said:

One of the things I don't like in the coverage is that when we win a medal, they try to paint a picture that those competitors have had to fight against personal obstacles and barriers. It's enough that they have won a medal, and I am sure that all competitors have obstacles and hardships. 

However, Lauren Price deserves every plaudit she receives. What an athlete, reaching the pinnacle in several sports and with as challenging a background as one could have. 

2 hours ago, tim2 said:

It rarely works, either in the Keirin or the Sprint, but he had the experience to spot the opportunity and catch everyone napping. Great win!

Ralph Waldo Emerson

The women's Omnium was too much of a mountain to climb for Laura Kenny, after a crash in the Scratch race and an uncharacteristically early exit in the Elimination race.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived