Olympics, Tokyo 2020 (Merged Threads)

6 minutes ago, Sidi Fidi Gold said:

What a fantastic games for team GB , before the games we were predicted to get something like 15 golds and 52 medals in total , personally , I thought we'd struggle to get into double figures as far as gold was concerned .

Very good games for us. Then think if Dina Asher-Smith hadn't picked up an injury and Laura Kenny hadn't someone crash in front of her. Two very solid medal chances gone, right there.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, distantdog said:

However, Lauren Price deserves every plaudit she receives. What an athlete, reaching the pinnacle in several sports and with as challenging a background as one could have. 

Being born Welsh?

6 minutes ago, Copa said:

This is the first Olympics I’ve watched with the app on the TV that has every sport available. I really enjoyed the waterpolo and rock climbing.

Up 'til Rio 2016, us Brits had all that on a plate from the BBC. This year, and from now onwards, we have to pay a premium for it.

But, for the Olympics, the chance to take the choice of what's on screen from the hands of the broadcasters and into your own is worth every penny. Especially when the BBC have such a deep and abiding love affair with golf and RU. The last week, for me, has been mainlining track cycling and athletics, without some studio talking head cutting away to the skateboard park, or the dressage arena, or some dullard talking for 20 minutes about how pulsating a missed putt was.

It is also good for those sports where your own country isn't very good and, understandably, doesn't get as much attention on the main channels. Real volleyball, weightlifting, handball, all sorts of things.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

8 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Up 'til Rio 2016, us Brits had all that on a plate from the BBC. This year, and from now onwards, we have to pay a premium for it.

But, for the Olympics, the chance to take the choice of what's on screen from the hands of the broadcasters and into your own is worth every penny. Especially when the BBC have such a deep and abiding love affair with golf and RU. The last week, for me, has been mainlining track cycling and athletics, without some studio talking head cutting away to the skateboard park, or the dressage arena, or some dullard talking for 20 minutes about how pulsating a missed putt was.

It is also good for those sports where your own country isn't very good and, understandably, doesn't get as much attention on the main channels. Real volleyball, weightlifting, handball, all sorts of things.

I don't know if they did it for the men's final because I was out when it was one but it was good to see the women's handball final given decent uninterrupted (during play anyway) coverage on the red button.

And, to repeat, as I'm know you know but others seem to want to bash the beeb anyway: this wasn't even a BBC decision not to bid or to not bid enough. It was an IOC closed bidding round of dodginess for all of Europe.

Agreed though that the obsession with Rory McIlroy chasing a bronze meant that hours of prime time were given over to a long walk spoilt.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I thought that the BBC Sports coverage was pretty good, whatever the limitations of the TV rights deal. Younger presenters, more informative than previously, only spoiled when it came to the tired old shouty blokes commentating on the running races.  

Anyway, decent analysis of the return we've had from the investment of your money, here 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/58112331

Have to say I didn't watch as much this time round.  Different job + time of day was a factor.   

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

On 08/08/2021 at 17:12, Sidi Fidi Gold said:

What a fantastic games for team GB , before the games we were predicted to get something like 15 golds and 52 medals in total , personally , I thought we'd struggle to get into double figures as far as gold was concerned .

At the start of the Olympics I took a look at the over/under for gold medals. 

It was at 11.5 which suggests a very good games indeed, especially considering it's basically double the likes of Germany, France, Italy etc.

10 hours ago, JohnM said:

I thought that the BBC Sports coverage was pretty good, whatever the limitations of the TV rights deal. Younger presenters, more informative than previously, only spoiled when it came to the tired old shouty blokes commentating on the running races.  

Anyway, decent analysis of the return we've had from the investment of your money, here 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/58112331

For various reasons, there were a few mornings where I followed via the radio and Five Live was very good at juggling multiple sports going on at the same time.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Archived