Olympics, Tokyo 2020 (Merged Threads)

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

OK, it's late, but it's off & running, at last. 

Enjoying opening ceremony. 

Any thoughts?

Early last year, I was planning to book a week off in the Summer to watch the second half of the Games instead of going to work and missing the drama as it happened.

Now I'm working from home, and will probably have the whole thing on in the background. I assume the BBC will have multiple live streams so we can pick and choose events.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

11 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I assume the BBC will have multiple live streams so we can pick and choose events.

You assume completely incorrectly.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

You assume completely incorrectly.

Just the one bonus stream eh? That's disappointing.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

That drone globe! 😮 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Croatia, Montenegro and Serbia are all in the same group for the Water Polo. As if that sport isn't violent enough...

Ralph Waldo Emerson

52 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

That drone globe! 😮 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

Just the one bonus stream eh? That's disappointing.

It’s all on something called Discovery+

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Watching rowing heats at 2am.  

It's what the Olympics are all about.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Commentator describes the Croatian mens pair as 'different gravy'.

Which has led to a couple of minutes of discussion on different types of gravy....

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

1 hour ago, Bleep1673 said:

Although if you can get Eurosport, Sky Channels 983-989 are showing more.

Incredibly watching the Eurosport channels I keep getting sport , where's the endless studio chat that the beeb have on BBC 1?

Eurosport ch 985 football- Sweden vs Australia women,  yes Australia!

1 hour ago, HawkMan said:

Incredibly watching the Eurosport channels I keep getting sport , where's the endless studio chat that the beeb have on BBC 1?

Eurosport ch 985 football- Sweden vs Australia women,  yes Australia!

The BBC used to be the gold standard for covering major sports events, but now I look elsewhere. They seem more interested in interviewing studio guests and doing low level analysis than actually showing lots of live sport. 

38 minutes ago, Industria ditat said:

The BBC used to be the gold standard for covering major sports events, but now I look elsewhere. They seem more interested in interviewing studio guests and doing low level analysis than actually showing lots of live sport. 

With the multi-stream options of years gone by, you could at least avoid the BBC1/BBC2 general coverage and watch the event of your choice without incessant sofa-chat.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

42 minutes ago, Industria ditat said:

It's interesting when they go head to head now.

For athletics when they and Eurosport are covering the same event then if you actually want to see the action then watch Eurosport.

For cricket, the coverage by Sky of the same events is so far ahead that it is embarrassing. The launch of The Hundred was absolutely confusing to anyone watching on BBC but the Sky presentation was clear and also welcoming.

They seem only to be able to do sport magazine style these days.

3 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

Although if you can get Eurosport, Sky Channels 983-989 are showing more.

Thanks for this.

Now have Portugal-Egypt in the men's handball on.

Decent game.

Archived