Olympics, Tokyo 2020 (Merged Threads)

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just took out a month's subscription (three free days to start with) to Discovery Plus, and am using their app on the Fire TV Stick. Good to have choice of coverage, but some commentary would be nice.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

18 hours ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

All sport is pretty pointless without crowds

That's why it was so good to see tens of thousands of people along the route watching the men's cycling road race.

Very tough excellent race too with Ecuador's national hero Richard Carapaz taking gold. My few quid went on Wout van Aert, each way fortunately as he picked up the silver medal.

Hard to see past a Netherands medal feast in the women's road race tomorrow.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Olympic skateboarding, the commentary is very much like below -

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Gymnastics: Oksana Chusovitina fails to qualify for the vault final in her 8th Olympics. She says she's going to retire now, aged just (!) 46. I'll believe it when I see it...

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1. There are some sports that haven't even been mentioned, B. Volley, Vollyball, Base/Softball, Handball, which was such a big hit at London2012.

2. Pundits reckon GB&NI will win 11 Golds, I reckon on 5-6. The Athletes have become similar to Rocky Balboa in Rocky III, soft in the underbelly, if an Elite Athlete is predicted to win Gold & doesn't, they should have their funding reduced by 25%, if they don't win a medal at all, lose 50%.

3. I watched the BBC documentary on iPlayer about how we turned around a 1 Gold, 36th Place in Atlanta, to 2nd Place in the table in Rio, but a lot of our elite have retired.

6 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Gymnastics: Oksana Chusovitina fails to qualify for the vault final in her 8th Olympics. She says she's going to retire now, aged just (!) 46. I'll believe it when I see it...

Probably older than some of the Judges!

5 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Probably older than some of the Judges!

Probably beaten a few of the judges at some point too.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 24/07/2021 at 12:59, Bedford Roughyed said:

As Eurosport is an optional-free-to-air, non subscription channel, they could've negotiated with IOC & Sky to make Ch 983-989 free to air to encourage sports that the BBC etc., are not covering. So far, from the BBC, is athletes failing when they should've won. Expect a lot of Sailing, BMX'ing, climbing, time trial cycling etc where we don't have a snowballs chance of a medal, but ignoring the entertaining aspects of the games.

Go Sky Browne, win our only medal.

2 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

As Eurosport is an optional-free-to-air, non subscription channel, they could've negotiated with IOC & Sky to make Ch 983-989 free to air to encourage sports that the BBC etc., are not covering. So far, from the BBC, is athletes failing when they should've won. Expect a lot of Sailing, BMX'ing, climbing, time trial cycling etc where we don't have a snowballs chance of a medal, but ignoring the entertaining aspects of the games.

Even so, they would only be FTA for people with satellite/cable set-ups. Eurosport does not broadcast on any Freeview frequency blocks.

The BBC are struggling to cope with the change from the previous way things were done, where the Freeview channels were for the casual viewer, but they had a stream for every dedicated fan to follow the event they wanted, with commentary on all of them (the latter is something Discovery Plus hasn't provided).

Ralph Waldo Emerson

14 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Basketball USA 76 France 83

The USA lost 2x Basketball warm up games, for the 1stx ever.

Complacency? Just like Team GBNI?

The rest of the world is getting better. There are more foreign players in the NBA and the other second tier leagues are improving.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

30 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Even so, they would only be FTA for people with satellite/cable set-ups. Eurosport does not broadcast on any Freeview frequency blocks.

The BBC are struggling to cope with the change from the previous way things were done, where the Freeview channels were for the casual viewer, but they had a stream for every dedicated fan to follow the event they wanted, with commentary on all of them (the latter is something Discovery Plus hasn't provided).

Strange that the BBC Could provide iPlayer, and Internet coverage for all 19 courts at Wimbledon, a very localised event, but cannot provide more than 2 screens for the biggest event of the last 5 years.

Just now, Bleep1673 said:

Strange that the BBC Could provide iPlayer, and Internet coverage for all 19 courts at Wimbledon, a verl localised event, but cannot provide more than 2 screens for the biggest event of the year.

They have the rights to Wimbledon.

The IOC sold the rights to the Olympics in a closed bidding process which the BBC could not enter.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

22 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Strange that the BBC Could provide iPlayer, and Internet coverage for all 19 courts at Wimbledon, a very localised event, but cannot provide more than 2 screens for the biggest event of the last 5 years.

The BBC no longer have the legal right to show more than two feeds from Olympic Broadcasting Services. Discovery Plus have the rights for Europe, and only the BBC and a French broadcaster have a year's grace before the deal is continent-wide.

Unless Discovery feel charitable, nationwide Olympic coverage in the UK will be like this or maybe even more limited in future.

Of course, everyone on social media is blaming the BBC, which is very convenient for certain parties.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 hours ago, Sidi Fidi Gold said:

The Dutch girl who finished second in the road race actually thought she'd won , because there are no radio's , she didn't know the Austrian girl was in the lead .

Annemiek van Vleuten, I had a few quid on her (each way fortunately) and wondered why she looked so ecstatic at winning slilver.

Astonishing performance by Austria's Anna Kiesenhofer to take gold. Went in the early breakaway and never looked like getting caught.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Well done to GB's Alex Yee for winning silver in the men's triathlon. Looked like he had a chance of gold at one point but Norway's Blummenfelt really pushed on and won by a large margin in the end.

Thoroughly enjoyed that Triathlon. I thought when it started that I'd probably drift away after 20 or so minutes, but I ended up watching the whole thing. Incredible athletes. Great interviews with the two Brits as well. Both came across as great guys. Congrats to the Norwegian winner - I thought looking at him with five or so minutes to go that he wouldn't hold on - he was grimacing so much. But somehow he dug deep and powered home to a relatively comfortable win.

Archived