BBC match report, TMO in RL?

1 minute ago, marklaspalmas said:

This match report 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/57928500

remarks on how there was no Television Match Official at Headingley. 

I don't know about you, but I've always called him/her the video ref

TMO is what they call it in Rugby Union, once they "invented" the idea fairly recently.

And this is a BBC report.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Possibly, I wouldn't know.

Seems odd then that a BBC rugby league journalist would use the term.

There's no byline on that report. Probably some freelancer filling in.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

9 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Neither of these seem particularly good excuses.

Perhaps a fly-half won a line out too?

They may not be good excuses, but they may be reasons.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, marklaspalmas said:

Awful, isn't it?

Probably some general sports reporter, who thought he was cleverly using the correct terminology for "Rugby".

Ralph Waldo Emerson

8 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Neither of these seem particularly good excuses.

Perhaps a fly-half won a line out too?

They may not seem like good excuses but one of them is probably correct. It is similar to the old SL intro on sky with the animated players on it which ended with a player wearing number 10 putting up a bomb. We know as RL fans that the number 10, a prop, is not going to be doing that job but those intro graphics were obviously put together by someone familiar with union, not league where the fly half wears 10 and so would be expected to kick the ball up-field. They created images fitting what they were familiar with and whoever wrote or edited this match report used terminology with which they are familiar thinking it to be correct. It only becomes an issue if incorrect terms continue to be used on a regular basis at which point they should be corrected.

2 hours ago, wiganermike said:

They may not seem like good excuses but one of them is probably correct. It is similar to the old SL intro on sky with the animated players on it which ended with a player wearing number 10 putting up a bomb. We know as RL fans that the number 10, a prop, is not going to be doing that job but those intro graphics were obviously put together by someone familiar with union, not league where the fly half wears 10 and so would be expected to kick the ball up-field. They created images fitting what they were familiar with and whoever wrote or edited this match report used terminology with which they are familiar thinking it to be correct. It only becomes an issue if incorrect terms continue to be used on a regular basis at which point they should be corrected.

When "mistakes" become regular, it's too late.

Is it too much to ask that someone who writes a 400/500 rugby league match report for the BBC knows the game of rugby league?

2 hours ago, wiganermike said:

Everything you say about the old Sky SL intro is correct but even more worrying is that all the players are offside in front of the prop putting up the bomb, the scorer doesn’t ground the ball properly, and when the frame freezes at the end, all the players are wearing black suspenders.  Why didn’t the TMO, sorry video ref, have a word in the ref’s earpiece?!

42 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Is it too much to ask that someone who writes a 400/500 rugby league match report for the BBC knows the game of rugby league?

Do you want the idealistic answer or the depressing real one?

Ralph Waldo Emerson

41 minutes ago, CmonTheBorough said:

Everything you say about the old Sky SL intro is correct but even more worrying is that all the players are offside in front of the prop putting up the bomb, the scorer doesn’t ground the ball properly, and when the frame freezes at the end, all the players are wearing black suspenders.  Why didn’t the TMO, sorry video ref, have a word in the ref’s earpiece?!

The sock-suspenders were certainly a strange addition. Who knows what inspired that choice?

4 minutes ago, Stuff Smith said:

More surprisingly, The Guardian's "as it happens" commentary on the final State of Origin game—presumably done by an Australian—used the term "garryowen".

Uncle Eddie will be turning in his grave.

Oopanunder.

Always has been, always will be.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, marklaspalmas said:

Tonight's team line ups....

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-league/match/EVP3543414

In traditional style, 1 to 15, props first, then the rest of the pack, then the backs from scrum half backwards to full back.

Its how we've always done it in rugby......

Horrendous. (There isn't an emoji/reaction for that, so I had to quote you....)

10 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

In traditional style, 1 to 15, props first, then the rest of the pack, then the backs from scrum half backwards to full back.

....except the clubs that used letters, not numbers!

10 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

The really bizarre thing is someone would have had to actually spend some time on this to reorder it, given what the issued line up would have looked like. 

Archived