BBC match report, TMO in RL?

12 hours ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

....except the clubs that used letters, not numbers!

I think only 2 of the 'major' clubs used letters and even then they had different schemes......

Edit - just checked wiki and they were Bristol and Leicester. Also in the 50s numbering was traditionally from FB (1) to No 8 (15) - to quote wiki: "Rugby league still uses this 'correct' numbering system."

53 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

I think only 2 of the 'major' clubs used letters and even then they had different schemes......

Edit - just checked wiki and they were Bristol and Leicester. Also in the 50s numbering was traditionally from FB (1) to No 8 (15) - to quote wiki: "Rugby league still uses this 'correct' numbering system."

You're right, Les.

Bristol numbered from the back, so the Full-back was 'A'.  Leicester did it the opposite way round.

As I recall, Bath wouldn't use the no. 13 shirt, so their three-quarters were 11, 12, 14 and 15, with the full-back no. 16.

On 24/07/2021 at 18:51, Futtocks said:

There's no byline on that report. Probably some freelancer filling in.

My money would be on the report coming from a Press Association feed. 

Now, if you want to ask why the BBC Sport website is using PA feeds rather than sending their own reporters the short distance down the M62 from Salford Quays, that's a whole other issue about RL media relations.

2 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

My money would be on the report coming from a Press Association feed. 

Now, if you want to ask why the BBC Sport website is using PA feeds rather than sending their own reporters the short distance down the M62 from Salford Quays, that's a whole other issue about RL media relations.

And BBC funding, and the priorities that it makes them choose to take.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

22 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

You're right, Les.

Bristol numbered from the back, so the Full-back was 'A'.  Leicester did it the opposite way round.

As I recall, Bath wouldn't use the no. 13 shirt, so their three-quarters were 11, 12, 14 and 15, with the full-back no. 16.

When I looked at wiki I noticed Richmond were also a club who didn't use No. 13.

41 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Scary in depth info on Rahrah numbering systems chaps.

Even if BBC subcontract work they should be doing to PA, why do we assume that the PA guy has to use onion terminology instead of league? It's not much to ask, is it? 

Especially because, as mentioned by TC, they will have been given a team sheet with the players listed in the right order by the club's media people.

Why on earth would they then reorder them to list it forwards to backs?

17 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I’m pretty sure BBC now use the Press Association to write many of their articles, so the quality overall on BBC Sport dropped dramatically when they brought this in and sloppy mistakes like this are the rule, not the exception now. 

PA are useless. These days, their sports department is packed with ill-trained kids earning peanuts. Most of them don't know about anything other than professional football. Many of PA's match reports are written by someone watching games on the telly. Much cheaper than paying a 'journalist' to attend in person. Unfortunately, as budget cuts bite deeper and deeper into the media industry, an increasing number of outlets are forced to rely on the 'dead hand' of PA.

On 24/07/2021 at 18:56, marklaspalmas said:

Neither of these seem particularly good excuses.

Perhaps a fly-half won a line out too?

I remember years ago remarking on a Union board about something and referring to their Stand Off. They piled into me and said that was a League term and how dare the use it in their presence. I said that it was also used in union, particularly at northern union clubs like Orrel, and they should know their sport a bit better if they insisted on coming on the internet and talking about it, disapointing with the education they'd paid for, clearly just a game for southern part time fans, etc. Such fun. 

10 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

Even if BBC subcontract work they should be doing to PA, why do we assume that the PA guy has to use onion terminology instead of league? It's not much to ask, is it? 

"Know your enemy".....Sun Tzu’s The Art of War

1 hour ago, thebrewxi said:

I remember years ago remarking on a Union board about something and referring to their Stand Off. They piled into me and said that was a League term and how dare the use it in their presence. I said that it was also used in union, particularly at northern union clubs like Orrel, and they should know their sport a bit better if they insisted on coming on the internet and talking about it, disapointing with the education they'd paid for, clearly just a game for southern part time fans, etc. Such fun. 

Oddly enough I was reading some old NU/RL match reports from the 1930s and the Pontefract & Castleford Express was still using the term flyhalf which I thought was odd. I wonder where standoff came from. Not Australia where it is, or used to be, five-eighth.

8 hours ago, Hopping Mad said:

PA are useless. These days, their sports department is packed with ill-trained kids earning peanuts. Most of them don't know about anything other than professional football. Many of PA's match reports are written by someone watching games on the telly. Much cheaper than paying a 'journalist' to attend in person. Unfortunately, as budget cuts bite deeper and deeper into the media industry, an increasing number of outlets are forced to rely on the 'dead hand' of PA.

A sad analysis on the future of journalism all round. We ought to be worried.

14 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

13 hours ago, Barley Mow said:

Especially because, as mentioned by TC, they will have been given a team sheet with the players listed in the right order by the club's media people.

Why on earth would they then reorder them to list it forwards to backs?

Points taken, gents - sorry.  I will stop reminiscing.  In any case, nostalgia's not what it used to be!

16 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

I thought Gloucester did as well, but I might have rememebred wrong. Lovibg the " Rugby league still uses this "correct" numbering system" comment 🙂

27 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Points taken, gents - sorry.  I will stop reminiscing.  In any case, nostalgia's not what it used to be!

Mate, please don't let anything I post get in the way of your own posts. 

Nowt wrong with nostalgia.

Too much knowledge of RU is highly suspicious. 😉

Archived