Alternative internationals and supporting the RL

If it doesn't happen....do we want something like a four nations with France, Ireland and Wales this Autumn? 

I'd like to think enough true RL fans would either buy or transfer their WC tickets to give the RFL some support on this. I know I'd dig deep to get my family four plus as many others with me 

I'd certainly go to something like that, I was just looking forward to the world cup so much I'd go to any internationals offered.

I love international RL whoever is playing and in whatever context it is whether it be a tournament, a series or just one off tests. One of the most enjoyable games I've seen in recent years was Greece v Scotland, world cup qualifying, in London which was streamed on YouTube. I think I was one of about 300 people watching and there was maybe about 150 in the ground but it didn't matter. It was a great game and Greece really pushed Scotland hard until the last half hour or so.

I suggested on the other thread even just a 3 match series against France and maybe a game each against Wales, Ireland and Scotland or something like that, maybe chuck Jamaica into the mix as well just to see someone different play. The latter four nations I've listed there could just play some tests against each other as well. They don't have to be played in massive stadiums or even have massive crowds in and we've get plenty of moderately sized grounds booked for the world cup so it shouldn't be too much of a problem to organise. I just want some games to be played and have them on the BBC so as many people as possible can watch. 

I don't care how we do it, I just want some internationals played in this country this year. 

10 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

If it doesn't happen....do we want something like a four nations with France, Ireland and Wales this Autumn? 

I'd like to think enough true RL fans would either buy or transfer their WC tickets to give the RFL some support on this. I know I'd dig deep to get my family four plus as many others with me 

If (heaven forbid) the WC doesn't go ahead, I'd still invite all of the countries that qualified and still want to come (plus probably 2 or 3 others) and run a competition - a 'nations cup' rather than world cup. 

15 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I'd certainly go to something like that, I was just looking forward to the world cup so much I'd go to any internationals offered.

I love international RL whoever is playing and in whatever context it is whether it be a tournament, a series or just one off tests. One of the most enjoyable games I've seen in recent years was Greece v Scotland, world cup qualifying, in London which was streamed on YouTube. I think I was one of about 300 people watching and there was maybe about 150 in the ground but it didn't matter. 

I was one of the 150 there too! 

Depends on the availability of all the remaining 14 nations. If the Southern Hemisphere nations and those with heavy reliance on Heritage players turn down the World Cup en masse, it’s not really a World Cup, is it? 

There should really be multiple Internationals every year so yes, we should replace the World Cup if it doesn’t go ahead. 

3 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

They don't have to be played in massive stadiums or even have massive crowds in and we've get plenty of moderately sized grounds booked for the world cup so it shouldn't be too much of a problem to organise. I just want some games to be played and have them on the BBC so as many people as possible can watch. 

I don't care how we do it, I just want some internationals played in this country this year. 

Why would the BBC be interested in throwing their weight behind a bunch of random games thrown together at the last moment in small town stadiums with small crowds?

If we're gonna go ahead, we go ahead with the World Cup as planned. And the BBC will be key to that: if they're still willing to provide the coverage they were before, even without Aus/NZ, then that will go a long way to making it viable. 

First and foremost I want to World Cup to go ahead, however if for whatever reason it can’t…

We have England, France, Wales, Ireland, Scotland and Jamaica readily available in and around these shores.

I wouldn’t mind seeing:

Group A: England, Ireland, Jamaica

Group B: France, Wales, Scotland

Week One

Ireland vs Jamaica (Group A - Leeds)

Wales vs Scotland (Group B - Cardiff)

England vs France (Anglo-French Cup - Bolton) 

Week Two

England vs Jamaica (Group B - Newcastle)

France vs Wales (Group B - Newcastle)

Ireland vs Scotland (Celtic Cup - Limerick) 

Week Three

England vs Ireland (Group A - Coventry)

Scotland vs France (Group B - Edinburgh) 

Wales vs Jamaica (Boston Cup - Swansea)

Week Four

Final (Hull)

32 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

Why would the BBC be interested in throwing their weight behind a bunch of random games thrown together at the last moment in small town stadiums with small crowds?

If we're gonna go ahead, we go ahead with the World Cup as planned. And the BBC will be key to that: if they're still willing to provide the coverage they were before, even without Aus/NZ, then that will go a long way to making it viable. 

I should make it clear that I want the world cup to go ahead above anything else. I was just saying if it can't for any reason then I would just like some sort of international event to take place and we could just let the BBC put it on for free seen as they will have a load of empty slots where the world cup should have been and it will just ensure rugby league will get at least some exposure. First and foremost though, I'm with you, I want this world cup to happen no matter what. 

30 minutes ago, JohnM said:

World Cup should go ahead with Aus and NZ fixtures awarded to their opponents. Aus and NZ marked as " no show" 

I'd agree with you but I'm not convinced the other SH Nations are going to come as they rely heavily on NRL players

1 hour ago, welshmagpie said:

First and foremost I want to World Cup to go ahead, however if for whatever reason it can’t…

We have England, France, Wales, Ireland, Scotland and Jamaica readily available in and around these shores.

I wouldn’t mind seeing:

Group A: England, Ireland, Jamaica

Group B: France, Wales, Scotland

Week One

Ireland vs Jamaica (Group A - Leeds)

Wales vs Scotland (Group B - Cardiff)

England vs France (Anglo-French Cup - Bolton) 

Week Two

England vs Jamaica (Group B - Newcastle)

France vs Wales (Group B - Newcastle)

Ireland vs Scotland (Celtic Cup - Limerick) 

Week Three

England vs Ireland (Group A - Coventry)

Scotland vs France (Group B - Edinburgh) 

Wales vs Jamaica (Boston Cup - Swansea)

Week Four

Final (Hull)

All those venues won't happen.  If some tin-pot tournament like that was ut together, they'd use some of the venues they've already booked.

Ireland v Scotland at a huge ground like Thomond Park ?   I have to ask - why ?

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

I said on the other thread we need to get behind playing other nations and not just get behind tests v NZ & Australia but I don't see these inferior tournament formats as a way forward at all. England needs to play 3 game test series, get touring.........

1 hour ago, Griff said:

All those venues won't happen.  If some tin-pot tournament like that was ut together, they'd use some of the venues they've already booked.

Agreed. The venues are absolute fantasy stuff, like a lot of posts on here. 

2 hours ago, Griff said:

Not Thomond Park… Musgrave Park (which I now realise is Cork!)

3 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

I am hugely in favour of a 4/6 nations annual tournament that includes England. Just not this year.  I also think that France and Eng should be going over to NA to play USA and Canada annually mid season.

Time to ween ourselves off SH sadly. 

Don't forget about Jamaica. A 2 test series held at New River in London and Kingston would work. Nigeria also has a domestic structure in place so we should aiding them.

Even though most of us have fallen out with Aus and NZ I'd still like a schedule which includes regular matches against the SH teams as they are great games to watch and the best test for England.

I would, however, like to see annual NH tests and tournaments with England included in some capacity.

There could be a NH tournament involving the top four Euro teams (excluding England) plus Jamaica and Nigeria at the end of the season. The winners or both finalists could then be rewarded with a test match or tri series against England in mid season the following year

5 hours ago, NW10LDN said:

Don't forget about Jamaica. A 2 test series held at New River in London and Kingston would work. Nigeria also has a domestic structure in place so we should aiding them.

New River can only hold 5,000 persons, how on earth can it be suitable for International football????

10 hours ago, NW10LDN said:

Kingston on Thames ?

4 hours ago, Big Picture said:

New River can only hold 5,000 persons, how on earth can it be suitable for International football????

International RL has been played there before.

7 hours ago, Big Picture said:

Suitable for a test match between what would likely be the England C team and Jamaica.

16 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

My four nations would have Jam in , it means England get a home game and a final if we do three games and a final. Would be at AFC Wimbledon or similar. Annwhere between 10-20k to play Jam in London . 

Great idea.

Perhaps, (until they start winning it), the Americas champion could come and take part over here in a 4/5/6 nations tournament.

Incidentally, I think the stadium needs a shuttle bus service (park and ride) from surrounding car parks (and stations) to the ground on match days.

It's a great looking ground. 

Archived