Are you worried about attendances?

You've got recorded highlights of lions tour with 150-200k views

Netball with 25k views 

Wigan v Huddersfield live SL game a mere 13k views after 2 weeks of availability.......that is not acceptable under any circumstances. Oh and 2 comments, many thanks to those leaving a comment. Oh dear. 

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

You've got recorded highlights of lions tour with 150-200k views

Netball with 25k views 

Wigan v Huddersfield live SL game a mere 13k views after 2 weeks of availability.......that is not acceptable under any circumstances. Oh and 2 comments, many thanks to those leaving a comment. Oh dear. 

This isn't really a good portrayal of what is happening here smudger.

Firstly - I struggle to even find Super League on Sky Sports' Youtube channel - even when going looking tonight after your post.

Secondly - there is SL content on there that has 60-70k. There is also the Cas v Hull game which has 45k views.

Thirdly - much of the netball content is Youtube only.  That Wigan v Hudds game got a viewership of 107k on Arena (not Main Event) - so we are actually comparing 25k versus 122k. On the Friday that week, Super League returned the 4th highest show on a single Sky Sports channel that week - above anything shown on Main Event. Obviously some events were split across 2 channels and returned higher figures.

But it isn't all doom and gloom - Youtube Sky Sports is a new thing for Sky, rushed in this year, with no fanfare, not even a dedicated channel.

45 minutes ago, Dave T said:

This isn't really a good portrayal of what is happening here smudger.

Firstly - I struggle to even find Super League on Sky Sports' Youtube channel - even when going looking tonight after your post.

Secondly - there is SL content on there that has 60-70k. There is also the Cas v Hull game which has 45k views.

Thirdly - much of the netball content is Youtube only.  That Wigan v Hudds game got a viewership of 107k on Arena (not Main Event) - so we are actually comparing 25k versus 122k. On the Friday that week, Super League returned the 4th highest show on a single Sky Sports channel that week - above anything shown on Main Event. Obviously some events were split across 2 channels and returned higher figures.

But it isn't all doom and gloom - Youtube Sky Sports is a new thing for Sky, rushed in this year, with no fanfare, not even a dedicated channel.

It's not about subscribers, it's about delivering the game to the masses and here we are again looking a gift horse in the mouth and throwing away opportunities, not a great deal been done to seize the chance by clubs or the League, might be something on the back-burner, they might get around to promoting it eventually but yet again it'll be too little too late......not a clue to be had. 

Just now, Smudger06 said:

It's not about subscribers, it's about delivering the game to the masses and here we are again looking a gift horse in the mouth and throwing away opportunities, not a great deal been done to seize the chance by clubs or the League, might be something on the back-burner, they might get around to promoting it eventually but yet again it'll be too little too late......not a clue to be had. 

There is a discussion to be had about this, but not when you compare 25k viewers to one 5 times higher and are critical of the higher one. 

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Last season’s non league football and current pre season, current cricket, the test events held over the past few months in various sports.

Of these, only RL seems to be finding it hard to get people in.

Will you report on non league football being in the gutter in a few weeks then when fan’s return to watching elite football and the attendances drop from last seasons? 

9 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

The Netball was also live on Sky Sports mate. 

Ah, just realised it was the Grand Final. That attracted 15k on Action - but was also on Mix which doesn't have published figures for that week.

I assume we don't need to compare to Super League's Grand Final? 😉

To be honest I'd consider scrapping season tickets. Season tickets are for when there is far greater demand than available space. Do memberships instead where you buy a membership and with that you can then buy matchtickets all season with 15% off. 

1 minute ago, Smudger06 said:

To be honest I'd consider scrapping season tickets. Season tickets are for when there is far greater demand than available space. Do memberships instead where you buy a membership and with that you can then buy matchtickets all season with 15% off. 

Why would you scrap the thing that generally guarantees good crowds throughout the season.

Season tickets see us return far bigger crowds for games than non-season ticket games. We see it in the cup every year.

I'm not sure why we would see season tickets as a bad thing.

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

Ah, just realised it was the Grand Final. That attracted 15k on Action - but was also on Mix which doesn't have published figures for that week.

I assume we don't need to compare to Super League's Grand Final? 😉

Live & free Wigan games should be hitting similar figures to the lions union highlights, no ifs or buts. Once you know you are going live on youtube you gather the troops (club & league social media peeps) all around a table and have brainstorming sessions, fling ideas about......willing to bet no such thing has happened. 

1 minute ago, Smudger06 said:

Live & free Wigan games should be hitting similar figures to the lions union highlights, no ifs or buts. Once you know you are going live on youtube you gather the troops (club & league social media peeps) all around a table and have brainstorming sessions, fling ideas about......willing to bet no such thing has happened. 

Genuine question (and apologies I know it looks like I am just disagreeing for the sake of it - I'm genuinely not) - but why?

Why should a Wigan game on YouTube get 200k?

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Genuine question (and apologies I know it looks like I am just disagreeing for the sake of it - I'm genuinely not) - but why?

Why should a Wigan game on YouTube get 200k?

In short, For the sponsors, for the broadcaster. That'd why. 

Just now, Smudger06 said:

In short, For the sponsors, for the broadcaster. That'd why. 

Well no, that's not what my question means. 

I understand why we would want hundreds of thousands to watch, I'm just not sure it is a realistic aim.

8 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Well no, that's not what my question means. 

I understand why we would want hundreds of thousands to watch, I'm just not sure it is a realistic aim.

There are about 800,000 people in just the Wigan & Kirklees borough's. That content has been up 2 weeks. They only need to watch about 30 seconds of it to register a view....I hope its geoblocked to the UK otherwise the figures are even more dire, there are 68m in the UK and as I say its been up two weeks. 200k 30 second views is very realistic. 

21 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Why would you scrap the thing that generally guarantees good crowds throughout the season.

Season tickets see us return far bigger crowds for games than non-season ticket games. We see it in the cup every year.

I'm not sure why we would see season tickets as a bad thing.

There's a need for the Clubs to get outside of their comfort zones and start thinking outside of the box. Sell a few season tickets, it's just too easy. Come Playoffs, the climax of the season, no one turns up, gotta have people at the Playoff games, can't be having repeats of 2019. 

10 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

There are about 800,000 people in just the Wigan & Kirklees borough's. That content has been up 2 weeks. They only need to watch about 30 seconds of it to register a view....I hope its geoblocked to the UK otherwise the figures are even more dire, there are 68m in the UK and as I say its been up two weeks. 200k 30 second views is very realistic. 

It is geoblocked - I remember people on here posting at the time that they couldn't watch it from overseas. 

6 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Season tickets imply the season is the event, each and every single game needs to be treated as an event in its own right...

It would be a bizarre move Smudger. 

3 hours ago, Dave T said:

I think we will only really know if there is a real issue next March.

Dave, seriously..... There is a real issue. We already know that. Next March will be too late to fix it. 

5k odd at Wigan.... World Cup is in the toilet.... Sinfield, our only recognisable personality has walked away from the sport... TV deal is dropping dramatically, so gameday income becomes even MORE important.... Salary cap is miserably low, so clubs can't retain talent....Visibility for the game is likely to drop away unless the World Cup somehow goes ahead.

It is a disaster. 

As a Scotsman, I am actually looking at England winning the World Cup as potentially a good thing, as it would at least boost the profile of Super League for next season! That's how bad things have got!

7 minutes ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

Dave, seriously..... There is a real issue. We already know that. Next March will be too late to fix it. 

5k odd at Wigan.... World Cup is in the toilet.... Sinfield, our only recognisable personality has walked away from the sport... TV deal is dropping dramatically, so gameday income becomes even MORE important.... Salary cap is miserably low, so clubs can't retain talent....Visibility for the game is likely to drop away unless the World Cup somehow goes ahead.

It is a disaster. 

As a Scotsman, I am actually looking at England winning the World Cup as potentially a good thing, as it would at least boost the profile of Super League for next season! That's how bad things have got!

That's an overly pessimistic list, particularly when it is padded out with Sinfield. 

We are in a pandemic, it should be no surprise that getting crowds back in grounds is challenging. Wire got 8k tonight, slightly more than I thought. Whilst that is low for this match, it is a miserable Wednesday night in the school holidays, against a backdrop of cancelled games due to Covid and the North West having very high cases. 

Not being able to sell season tickets properly has impacted the whole season, you can't just click your fingers and fix this. We will see a lot more poor crowds in coming weeks I expect. 

I'm surprised people are surprised. 

1 hour ago, Smudger06 said:

Season tickets are for when there's greater demand than available space? What? If there was great demand for individual tickets, why the hell would you sell a season ticket or offer discount? You wouldn't need to change anything at all.

Season tickets are to guarantee an income got the season ahead of time to help you budget. It's why places tie you into contracts rather than living off "pay as you go" because it's not a stable way to run a business.

There's thinking outside if the box, and there's just not thinking.

I completely agree we undersell the event side of our games. That isn't because we just rely on season tickets; it's because we're ###### at it as a sport. Taking away our guaranteed income won't make us better at it.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

7 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Will you report on non league football being in the gutter in a few weeks then when fan’s return to watching elite football and the attendances drop from last seasons? 

If it happens, I will. But more likely on AOB than here.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

So your original data that you’re using to slate RL would be a clear anomaly then thus making your original argument invalid. 

If it happens - non league football attendances drop sharply because the Premier League is back on - then we can reconvene then.

My argument rests on two things though. One: that other sports are not seeing drops off like rugby league is (this is useful for context). Two: that rugby league is not doing enough to get existing and new supporters and this is reflected in worryingly low attendances.

Even if point one is disproved, point two still stands.

Unless you think rugby league is doing enough?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Archived