Are you worried about attendances?

24 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I know that's a gag but I do think things like that need to be looked at!! 

The TV product is do important and everyone is more attracted to watching full stands... 

Surely the clubs and Sky could easily fix this? 

Definitely, it’s a no brainer (to coin an awful phrase). 

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, M j M said:

It absolutely cannot be done.

Putting on a live TV presentation isn't just having some bloke holding a camera. The Sky trucks all park up in the South Stand car park, directly adjacent to the gantry and electrical stuff. They plug directly into the TV systems and areas given over to the TV crews which have been created there.

The site of the North Stand is ridiculously cramped and was the subject of the most painful negotiations and compromises as part of the rebuild. Every spare millimetre on that side of the ground is given over to revenue-generation, the idea of bringing in the TV gantry and presentation areas as well would not have been practical.

Moreover the design of the North Stand and the way the load bearing works to support the roof on both sides of the ground is already very complicated. A requirement for additional strengthening to have a gantry hanging from underneath the RL side would have added yet more unnecessary cost and complication.

My old granny used to say where there is a will there is a way

Better solution might be to fill that North Stand with folk. 

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

57 minutes ago, M j M said:

It absolutely cannot be done.

Putting on a live TV presentation isn't just having some bloke holding a camera. The Sky trucks all park up in the South Stand car park, directly adjacent to the gantry and electrical stuff. They plug directly into the TV systems and areas given over to the TV crews which have been created there.

The site of the North Stand is ridiculously cramped and was the subject of the most painful negotiations and compromises as part of the rebuild. Every spare millimetre on that side of the ground is given over to revenue-generation, the idea of bringing in the TV gantry and presentation areas as well would not have been practical.

Moreover the design of the North Stand and the way the load bearing works to support the roof on both sides of the ground is already very complicated. A requirement for additional strengthening to have a gantry hanging from underneath the RL side would have added yet more unnecessary cost and complication.

Fair enough. Better fill the seats again then, get 16k crowds back 👍

10 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

If we know that Sky are filming that side then we need to do everything possible to fill that side of the ground. Discounts, cheaper season tickets, whatever. Empty stands look ######. Small crowds in small grounds will always look better than the alternative. 

It's been a source of irritation for me at Widnes that we had the original camera gantry purpose built in the top of the South stand facing North (where most people sit), in a perfect position and then decided to change it.

Now it's in the North, at a much lower height so the angle looks rubbish on TV and it points at a stand no one sits in with for reasons only the council know, burgundy seats. 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

17 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

At Fax I thought it was about the norm?

Well, I looked it up and it's pretty interesting actually

• 2021  2600
  • 2020 cancelled due to COVID
  • 2019  3316
  • 2018 we were in League 1
  • 2017  3412
  • 2016  4108
  • 2014  4589

So what we've actually seen is a steady decline over recent years, pretty worrying really given this really ought to be our flagship derby match

1 minute ago, paulwalker71 said:

Well, I looked it up and it's pretty interesting actually

• 2021  2600
  • 2020 cancelled due to COVID
  • 2019  3316
  • 2018 we were in League 1
  • 2017  3412
  • 2016  4108
  • 2014  4589

So what we've actually seen is a steady decline over recent years, pretty worrying really given this really ought to be our flagship derby match

At the Shay?

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

17 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

It's been a source of irritation for me at Widnes that we had the original camera gantry purpose built in the top of the South stand facing North (where most people sit), in a perfect position and then decided to change it.

Now it's in the North, at a much lower height so the angle looks rubbish on TV and it points at a stand no one sits in with for reasons only the council know, burgundy seats. 

me too! but the South Stand gantry is still there though isn't it? The facilities in the South Stand were a later addition if I remember correctly

28 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Plus that Widnes ground is 3,000 too big. Nevermind , hope we don´t go to 10 SL so Widnes can finally have a normal season next year and a shot at the playoffs. 

Yes 13k does seem rather big, even as SL regulars they’d probably only get 7-8k average? 

17 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

me too! but the South Stand gantry is still there though isn't it? The facilities in the South Stand were a later addition if I remember correctly

The gantry is there, the rumour was someone lost the key. 

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Yes 13k does seem rather big, even as SL regulars they’d probably only get 7-8k average? 

A middling side averages 5.5-6.5, a good side averages 6.5 to 7.5, the last side we had averaged 4.5. There's an upper limit even as world champions we only drew about 8 IIRC. 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

5 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

A middling side averages 5.5-6.5, a good side averages 6.5 to 7.5, the last side we had averaged 4.5. There's an upper limit even as world champions we only drew about 8 IIRC. 

It’s a sad fact that most people a few miles away in places like Speke and Halewood won’t even know there’s a semi pro RL team on their doorstep. Maybe even Runcorn too. 

4 hours ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

Seems a reasonable explanation, as you say, the real comparison will come early in the 2022 season when there has been a full lead into the season, with hopefully the worst behind and a regular schedule of matches.

I hope all clubs have their thinking caps on and are sharing ideas on how to get fans back into the grounds

For me they are staying away because of the chance they can still get covid, and on the lack of enthusiasm for the low key competition we are playing out, the poor return for the money, that the clubs often don't seem to take seriously. You know that absence makes the heart grow fonder, I think the stay aways and more will come back for the 14 club battle to get to the new Superleague.

1 hour ago, paulwalker71 said:

To be fair that's well below the usual for Halifax vs Bulls

2,600 for Halifax v Bradford, on a day when the home team were eyeing an eighth consecutive win. An attendance described as "decent" by Martin Sadler. Decent? Really?

25 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

It´s just hubris mostly that gets big stadiums when you should build not for your biggest games but 20% higher than your average .

It´s sadly why Wigan and Hull games don´t look great on telly despite being are two biggest teams and Hudds always look awful despite 6000 ish. 

Those three stadiums were built for football really though, if they had their own grounds I’d say 18k, 16k and 9k would be ideal. 

41 minutes ago, Hopping Mad said:

2,600 for Halifax v Bradford, on a day when the home team were eyeing an eighth consecutive win. An attendance described as "decent" by Martin Sadler. Decent? Really?

What was their average crowd before Covid, was it even 2,000? I thought 2,600 was ok (not amazing) given the circumstances. 

3 hours ago, Just Browny said:

maybe card board cuts out again...

Mind you a fair portion of the empty seats will be corporate... many staying in the facilities and not sitting in their stand seats... so maybe inflatable one's that can be blown up if they stay in the bar/lounges looking out the windows.

3 hours ago, Just Browny said:

maybe card board cuts out again...

Mind you a fair portion of the empty seats will be corporate... many staying in the facilities and not sitting in their stand seats... so maybe inflatable one's that can be blown up if they stay in the bar/lounges looking out the windows.

6 hours ago, Dave T said:

My point on all of this is that external factors are having a huge impact crowds at the moment, none of this is to suggest that RL is in great shape and no better can be done, but that was also the case when Leeds used to get 16k crowds for gams like this.

But if we look at that direct comparison of 2020 vs this year - vs Wire Leeds got 12.1k versus 9.1k last night. If we look at the differences, the main ones are the whole pandemic thing. We didn't have standard sales processes for this season, we are playing at 7.30 on a Sunday versus the standard Friday night, we have reluctance to buy tickets as games are getting called off, we have people isolating, we have people nervous about attending huge crowds - I can easily see how this would affect the crowd by this kind of %. 

Exactly the same point goes for Wire v Wigan on Wednesday which was a good few k lower. 

These games in reality, are probably somewhere between the Cup games and League games, and that is what we are seeing.  

Spot on Dave , I know this only applies to Leigh as all other clubs fans travel by train only 😉 , but my Missus runs the coaches for away games , ATM the coach companies are still nervous about covid , suggesting only half capacity , which means double the price , as I said this doesn't affect any other clubs apart from Leigh 😂

56 minutes ago, Eddie said:

What was their average crowd before Covid, was it even 2,000? I thought 2,600 was ok (not amazing) given the circumstances. 

Someone posted the stats further up. Its been slowly declining over the past 5 years from just over 4k to 3.oddK

Archived