Well, I looked it up and it's pretty interesting actually

• 2021  2600
  • 2020 cancelled due to COVID
  • 2019  3316
  • 2018 we were in League 1
  • 2017  3412
  • 2016  4108
  • 2014  4589

So what we've actually seen is a steady decline over recent years, pretty worrying really given this really ought to be our flagship derby match

Welcome to the world of lower tier RL 

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Eddie said:

It’s a sad fact that most people a few miles away in places like Speke and Halewood won’t even know there’s a semi pro RL team on their doorstep. Maybe even Runcorn too. 

Rubbish 

3 hours ago, Mumby Magic said:

At the Shay?

Yes at The Shay

I was there for the 2015 and 2016 games and there was a great atmosphere with around a 50/50 split between the two sets of fans.

What was the makeup of the crowd yesterday?

11 minutes ago, Eddie said:

You think loads of people in Speke know about Widnes Vikings? Have you ever been there? 

Exactly, a lot of people in places in the periphery of RL genuinely don't have a clue. If they know a Super League club (usually one of the bigger ones), then they probably will say they play "rugby" and think that's the same thing as the 6 Nations.

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

Exactly, a lot of people in places in the periphery of RL genuinely don't have a clue. If they know a Super League club (usually one of the bigger ones), then they probably will say they play "rugby" and think that's the same thing as the 6 Nations.

I doubt many people in Speke know what the 6 nations is either, but yes definitely you only have to go a few miles from established RL areas for knowledge of the game to completely disappear. 

39 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

Yes at The Shay

I was there for the 2015 and 2016 games and there was a great atmosphere with around a 50/50 split between the two sets of fans.

What was the makeup of the crowd yesterday?

Hard to tell. The away end Bulls wise was really gappy. I'd say easily two thirds were Halifax.

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

48 minutes ago, Eddie said:

You think loads of people in Speke know about Widnes Vikings? Have you ever been there? 

Did loads or work all over Merseyside for 2 decades , loads of people would chat about the rugby , they never went as they were football fans , but they were aware of the teams 

4 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

Hard to tell. The away end Bulls wise was really gappy. I'd say easily two thirds were Halifax.

So maybe 2000 Fax and 600 Bulls? 

There we have the reason for the gradual fall off in attendance in the fixture, because we were taking 2000+ a few years back (and I'm not talking about the 'glory days', I'm talking about 3-4 years ago)

2 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

So maybe 2000 Fax and 600 Bulls? 

There we have the reason for the gradual fall off in attendance in the fixture, because we were taking 2000+ a few years back (and I'm not talking about the 'glory days', I'm talking about 3-4 years ago)

Hence I think it's covid aswell. Plus I think alot have fallen off due to long term lower divisions. I'll be there and have enjoyed league 1 etc. Said to my dad that there was ironically alot of new faces out of the wood work cos it was derby day. We have to be positive though. I remember in the 80s when Northern got what we get at home on the championship attendance wise. We've been busy etc a few times yet still have a fan base. I'd have taken 1800 as a good attendance yesterday.

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

2 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Cheaper option , cheaper result , looks kak 

Once crowds get back to ~14k there won't be a concern at Headingley.

Unlike, say, a cheap flatpack ground with several thousand plastic red seats which have been permanently empty since they were installed.

Regulars to this site would know I made a bit of a mission following attendance stats in RL but since Covid I haven't bothered with UK figures because they are not a reflection of the real picture. Once 'normality' returns I'll get back into it.

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

31 minutes ago, M j M said:

Unlike, say, a cheap flatpack ground with several thousand plastic red seats which have been permanently empty since they were installed.

When will Leeds’ crowds get back to 14k though? They’ve got a lot of work to do to get them back? 

2 minutes ago, RayCee said:

Regulars to this site would know I made a bit of a mission following attendance stats in RL but since Covid I haven't bothered with UK figures because they are not a reflection of the real picture. Once 'normality' returns I'll get back into it.

I agree, but if we don't get that bounce back next season (which is absolutely possible), then whilst this year won't be a reflection of the real picture, it will be the defining moment in the game's status for several years.

4 hours ago, redjonn said:

maybe card board cuts out again...

Mind you a fair portion of the empty seats will be corporate... many staying in the facilities and not sitting in their stand seats... so maybe inflatable one's that can be blown up if they stay in the bar/lounges looking out the windows.

That is a bit of a sad compromise that had to be made really.

These types of seats always look thin in the second half at every sport. That said most grounds don't focus 90% of these seats right in front of the TV camera shot however. Wembley gets/got criticism regularly for being empty in the blocks immediately surrounding the tunnel (which is on Camera) for most events held there.

As a consequence of the camera placement at Headingley, I've not really ever been able to tell how well the seats at the top of the South stand do by comparison. These were always a bit of an odd move as I saw it - as it weakened both North and South stands. But perhaps its affecting the North Stand more in terms of the sparse crowds there?

Undoubtedly there is so much revenue to be made from the corporate at Headingley. From a financial point of view its a no brainer. I just hope they can now focus on us normies in the rest of the ground soon.

1 minute ago, Marauder said:

The game is now so predictable and sterile it's fast taking over the mantle of being the boring code, variation has gone, dead. 

The games last night and tonight we're cracking. More of that and won't be an issue. 

1 hour ago, M j M said:

We have long , long threads on here about image and perception of RL , Leeds should have sacrificed a couple of corporate boxes and put the cameras facing their most occupied , atmospheric part of the stadium , what's all the posts we see about short term gain , grabbing every little penny at the cost of genuine long term growth 

That's all , oh and at least we supply all our fans , both home and away with a roof 👍

3 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

We have long , long threads on here about image and perception of RL , Leeds should have sacrificed a couple of corporate boxes and put the cameras facing their most occupied , atmospheric part of the stadium , what's all the posts we see about short term gain , grabbing every little penny at the cost of genuine long term growth 

That's all , oh and at least we supply all our fans , both home and away with a roof 👍

You haven't bothered, despite it being explained, to even try and understand the logistical impracticalities of having the gantry in that stand, as far away as possible from the Sky trucks. I won't bother explaining it again.

29 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

That is a bit of a sad compromise that had to be made really.

These types of seats always look thin in the second half at every sport. That said most grounds don't focus 90% of these seats right in front of the TV camera shot however. Wembley gets/got criticism regularly for being empty in the blocks immediately surrounding the tunnel (which is on Camera) for most events held there.

As a consequence of the camera placement at Headingley, I've not really ever been able to tell how well the seats at the top of the South stand do by comparison. These were always a bit of an odd move as I saw it - as it weakened both North and South stands. But perhaps its affecting the North Stand more in terms of the sparse crowds there?

Undoubtedly there is so much revenue to be made from the corporate at Headingley. From a financial point of view its a no brainer. I just hope they can now focus on us normies in the rest of the ground soon.

yep, agree, although I sometimes get the opportunity of the corporate and I must say it is excellent. 

I guess the corporate/hospitality revenue puts them in a good stead and enables them to position the pricing better for as you say the normies... well it gives them the chance to adjust other pricing and to invest in facilities.  

Having said that they could do with investing for better facilities/food options for us normies.

1 hour ago, M j M said:

You haven't bothered, despite it being explained, to even try and understand the logistical impracticalities of having the gantry in that stand, as far away as possible from the Sky trucks. I won't bother explaining it again.

Do you have a cable tube under the pitch ?

2 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

I reckon we could get close to that on Friday.

Hopefully. I think it would probably need a good travelling support popping over from Cas to break 14k. I think the ground has only seen 14k twice since the refurb, although there's only been maybe a dozen games

Apprently Leeds United will only have 8,000 matchday tickets available next season (assuming 100% capacity). There will be 50-60k members scrabbling around for them. Leeds RL should approach them and ask if they can advertise in the virtual waiting room or on the sold out pages. There are likely to be tens of thousands of dissapointed people looking to attend live sport in Leeds looking on those pages at least 19 times next season. Got to stick the RL under their noses. TBF Wakey and Cas would be well advised to do the same

Archived