Are you worried about attendances?

36 minutes ago, Dave T said:

A move that I was a lone voice being critical of Scubby. Everyone here said it was very fair pricing, and it was celebrated.

But I suspect a rewriting of history and it will be used as a tool to bash the RFL.

Not everyone.

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Dave T said:

You know my thoughts on the pricing point, but it is interesting that it is being used here to bash the RFL when I was pretty much on my own in that thread.

Everyone to pretty much now 😄 

49 minutes ago, Dave T said:

We know that Rugby League does not do well on a cash basis - and trying to sell tickets for individual matches on random days

This particular point really needs addressing to be honest. The game needs to get better at encouraging casual viewership and attendance, not just relying on the inertia of season ticket holders. 

We live in an era where you can basically 'unbundle' a lot of the stuff you buy today (your TV subscription, your mobile phone, your package holiday, etc) I think it's a mistake for clubs to rely on inertia of season tickets to effectively sell games that people might not necessarily be interested in - especially when you consider that, unlike football, tickets aren't exactly difficult to get if you aren't a season ticket holder or member. 

People are more selective at what they buy and I think RL needs to get better at reflecting that. If that means building up an audience or introducing a product that encourages more casual audiences alongside season ticket holders, rather than encouraging season ticket holders to downgrade, then that might be the direction the sport needs to go in. 

Attendances are the temperature of the game: shows how healthy it is. Levels of attendance are linked to the wider state of the game plus local factors. 

19 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

That only holds 600 and leaves us with those open empty terraces. I´d like a 3 k seated stand for Press, media, conference and hospitality on the halfway line side. Bring the dead space down and get it SL ready but again, that´s never going to happen without 3-4 million quid which we will never have... 

You meaning the ex coral stand?

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

41 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

This particular point really needs addressing to be honest. The game needs to get better at encouraging casual viewership and attendance, not just relying on the inertia of season ticket holders. 

We live in an era where you can basically 'unbundle' a lot of the stuff you buy today (your TV subscription, your mobile phone, your package holiday, etc) I think it's a mistake for clubs to rely on inertia of season tickets to effectively sell games that people might not necessarily be interested in - especially when you consider that, unlike football, tickets aren't exactly difficult to get if you aren't a season ticket holder or member. 

People are more selective at what they buy and I think RL needs to get better at reflecting that. If that means building up an audience or introducing a product that encourages more casual audiences alongside season ticket holders, rather than encouraging season ticket holders to downgrade, then that might be the direction the sport needs to go in. 

I don't disagree, diversity is key, but we also live in a world that subscription models are normal. Netflix etc gives you entertainment for a regular monthly payment, as does your gym, xbox live, etc. 

We are part way there with DD's for season tickets, but we are still a bit different. 

Why wouldn't £25 a month give you all inclusive access to your club, videos, matches - whatever you want, you are a member, it's yours. We can go 100% that model which means we don't focus on PPV cash purchases. 

But you are right, we also need to have a cash buyers at the moment, we have a bit of a traditional model that maybe has had its time. 

11 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Have we ever had a 3000 seated stand opposite our only main seated stand, that end. 

Think I'm with you. What I'm saying is doesn't the South Bank cover corporate. Opposite the main stand we had about 150 not covered seats in the late 80s for speedway.

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

I don't disagree, diversity is key, but we also live in a world that subscription models are normal. Netflix etc gives you entertainment for a regular monthly payment, as does your gym, xbox live, etc. 

We are part way there with DD's for season tickets, but we are still a bit different. 

Why wouldn't £25 a month give you all inclusive access to your club, videos, matches - whatever you want, you are a member, it's yours. We can go 100% that model which means we don't focus on PPV cash purchases. 

But you are right, we also need to have a cash buyers at the moment, we have a bit of a traditional model that maybe has had its time. 

I think the point is how traditional models, particularly ones that "tie in" consumers have been challenged. Netflix may still be a monthly charge, but I could cancel it the moment it stops being interesting - something I can't do with a Sky subscription with an 18 month lock-in. Likewise, onerous gym contracts have been replaced by £10-a-month "cancel anytime" contracts. 

RL has perhaps fallen into that trap that some of those legacy brands have fallen into - relying on inertia to sell tickets, rather than the quality of the product? How many Leeds fans would turn up to a game against Salford or Leigh if the game wasn't basically "bundled into" and paid for through the season ticket? That might look good on the attendance figures, but it's not good for diversifying the audience. 

1 minute ago, whatmichaelsays said:

I think the point is how traditional models, particularly ones that "tie in" consumers have been challenged. Netflix may still be a monthly charge, but I could cancel it the moment it stops being interesting - something I can't do with a Sky subscription with an 18 month lock-in. Likewise, onerous gym contracts have been replaced by £10-a-month "cancel anytime" contracts. 

RL has perhaps fallen into that trap that some of those legacy brands have fallen into - relying on inertia to sell tickets, rather than the quality of the product? How many Leeds fans would turn up to a game against Salford or Leigh if the game wasn't basically "bundled into" and paid for through the season ticket? That might look good on the attendance figures, but it's not good for diversifying the audience. 

I work in banking, and a huge part of the model is being reliant on inertia. I think that leads to complacency and lack of creativity. Loyalty can lead to lack of effort without doubt. 

I make this point often, I don't necessarily think we have the wrong models, or the wrong product etc. I think we do many of the right things, I just don't think we do them well enough or consistent enough. 

I genuinely think if we did what we currently did but demanding effort and high standards in everything we do we would see marked results. We don't necessarily need to rewrite the playbook, just do things well. Then do them well again. And again. 

Considering the sport has gone down this methodical route of process, it stuns me that the off field operations haven't seen the synergies. 

On 02/08/2021 at 15:14, Eddie said:

It’s a sad fact that most people a few miles away in places like Speke and Halewood won’t even know there’s a semi pro RL team on their doorstep. Maybe even Runcorn too. 

I went to school in Runcorn. I reckon the vast majority people are well aware that Widnes has a rugby club. Same in Speke or Halewood to be honest. That doesn't necessarily translate into those people having any real desire to go and watch.  Plenty of schools RL activity in Runcorn over the years (and some current pro players from Runcorn). Warrington had some decent efforts at giving away tickets in Runcorn pre-pandemic too. 

6347 at Craven Park yesterday - pretty decent under the circumstances.

2 hours ago, JonM said:

I went to school in Runcorn. I reckon the vast majority people are well aware that Widnes has a rugby club. Same in Speke or Halewood to be honest. That doesn't necessarily translate into those people having any real desire to go and watch.  Plenty of schools RL activity in Runcorn over the years (and some current pro players from Runcorn). Warrington had some decent efforts at giving away tickets in Runcorn pre-pandemic too. 

I went to school in Castleford.

People who didn't know that Castleford had a Rugby League team were regarded as eccentric.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

13 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

They were both belters... Jesus if you do watch them and don't like them then maybe league isn't for you..... There is a close relative of the game with more "variety" in game play - give that a try

How long have you been involved with the game and have you tried it (Dare I ask at what level or what attracted you to the game)

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

18 hours ago, JonM said:

6347 at Craven Park yesterday - pretty decent under the circumstances.

Of course they are aware, you are spot on. People go completely over the top with claims like this - people don't live in little vacuums, they have Sky Sports, they have the BBC, they read newspapers, websites etc. 

Of course awareness will be lower than in towns with teams, but that's normal. 

As you say, awareness is one thing - getting people to want to join in and watch/play/invest is the challenge.

20 hours ago, Griff said:

I went to school in Castleford.

People who didn't know that Castleford had a Rugby League team were regarded as eccentric.

I lived in Widnes. People from Runcorn who were not eccentric were regarded as abnormal

17 hours ago, Marauder said:

How long have you been involved with the game and have you tried it (Dare I ask at what level or what attracted you to the game)

Played league at school (Hemel schools has a leagur) and then community until early 20s. A rubbish level of Union now as middle aged man but i enjoy it! 

9431 at Wigan tonight, which I think is decent considering the hammering season tickets have taken this year. 2022 is when we can start sensibly judging the real impact of Covid on crowds across the leagues.

Archived