Are you worried about attendances?

23 hours ago, Scubby said:

Growing up what intrigued me about RL was a good percentage of the crowd that simply rocked up 5 minutes before the kick off and often left right on the hooter or (if losing) 5-10 before. That means you basically only have 90 minutes to try and upsell to this audience and 70-80 of that is taken up by the match itself.

Not that much has changed. You have to find ways to get people into the ground as early as possible and get them to hang around after. 

At Hilton Park , fans would arrive early , meet in the Mick Martyn bar for a beer or two , post match the kids would be playing tic and pass on the pitch and again the Mick Martyn bar would be full , sometimes the away fans would nip in for a beer before boarding their coach to some far flung outpost in Yorkshire or Cumbria ( not Hull as they were all hooligans 😁 ) ,plenty of the players , both home and away would come in for a beer and a chat , quite often there'd be a disco on and fans would drift off 3/4 hours after the game finished 

Now it's 30 people in the legends bar pre match and less after for a single beer , that's it 

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

At Hilton Park , fans would arrive early , meet in the Mick Martyn bar for a beer or two , post match the kids would be playing tic and pass on the pitch and again the Mick Martyn bar would be full , sometimes the away fans would nip in for a beer before boarding their coach to some far flung outpost in Yorkshire or Cumbria ( not Hull as they were all hooligans 😁 ) ,plenty of the players , both home and away would come in for a beer and a chat , quite often there'd be a disco on and fans would drift off 3/4 hours after the game finished 

Now it's 30 people in the legends bar pre match and less after for a single beer , that's it 

thats life in general these days "where have all the good times gone?"

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

3 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

There’s still much the same number of fans attending (and drinking) as there was then, only they drink in the pubs instead. 

At away games I stand by the mantra that kick off is overrated. 

27 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

There’s still much the same number of fans attending (and drinking) as there was then, only they drink in the pubs instead. 

At away games I stand by the mantra that kick off is overrated. 

Just replying to the " we need / why don't fans make a day of it " post 

Shame we didn't get the original layout that was suggested for the LSV , with the double sided stand connected to the harriers , with a full length hospitality room running the full length like Blackpool , able to be split and/or opened as required 

1 minute ago, Johnoco said:

Bradford City (in the bottom division) attendance today 17264. Clearly some people *are* keen to get back to live sport. 

Yep it does feel like RL has work to do. In mitigation, there is something about starting crowds up after a half completed season against selling tickets for a Covid-restriction free new season starting in August. We will have no excuses next Feb/March though.

1 hour ago, meast said:

24,738 at Sheff Wed in the 3rd division.

Seems there's no issues with football crowds going back.

Wigan Athletic get 10,217 at home

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

47 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

This is it.

I don't expect RL to match those crowds but percentage wise it isn't that good yet. Simply putting it down to covid runs the risk of ignoring the real reason. 

I honestly don't think all of the postponed games help one bit in RL. There has been a lack of continuity and a lot of people just seem to have lost interest in the season.

5 minutes ago, Damien said:

I honestly don't think all of the postponed games help one bit in RL. There has been a lack of continuity and a lot of people just seem to have lost interest in the season.

I'm enjoying the season as a TV sport, but the one time I've tried to go it got cancelled with 24hrs notice meaning we had to cancel travel and babysitter plans at short notice, and the club is now sitting with 125 quid of our money. 

1 hour ago, Johnoco said:

This is it.

I don't expect RL to match those crowds but percentage wise it isn't that good yet. Simply putting it down to covid runs the risk of ignoring the real reason. 

Indeed, and i fear that the clubs might take an action at the end of the season that will drive even more fans away from the game.

I was given a free ticket today to watch Man United v Leeds, (my brother and his mates are season ticket holders) but my bro was given a freebie. You’d have thought that it would’ve been a sell out with Man Utd having a billion fan’s and Leeds having three billion fan’s (which a billion were outside before & during the game) but it wasn’t a sell out. I was surprised that there were empty seats.
Would i go again if i was offered another freebie probably not, especially against Leeds they are dreadful. The game was over after 64mins, the atmosphere was great at times but there was stages when it was so quite you could hear someone fart(that was a real wwi gas attack whoever dropped it). 
I don’t know why it wasn’t a sell out but perhaps Covid has even affected football fan’s who either are wary about going, or just haven’t got the cash anymore to watch the Premier League. 

7 minutes ago, Josef K said:

I was given a free ticket today to watch Man United v Leeds, (my brother and his mates are season ticket holders) but my bro was given a freebie. You’d have thought that it would’ve been a sell out with Man Utd having a billion fan’s and Leeds having three billion fan’s (which a billion were outside before & during the game) but it wasn’t a sell out. I was surprised that there were empty seats.
Would i go again if i was offered another freebie probably not, especially against Leeds they are dreadful. The game was over after 64mins, the atmosphere was great at times but there was stages when it was so quite you could hear someone fart(that was a real wwi gas attack whoever dropped it). 
I don’t know why it wasn’t a sell out but perhaps Covid has even affected football fan’s who either are wary about going, or just haven’t got the cash anymore to watch the Premier League. 

72,700 in a ground that holds 74,500 and would have at least a thousand seats to crowd segregation.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

The attendance thing is totally a RL problem, i have just about got a ticket for the next Kent CCC match with the attendance reduced to 4000.

We have a problem and it needs addressing even my Step 5 non league football club attendances have nearly doubled.

London Broncos down to 250 says it all.

SL and the entire game needs a revamp NOW.

Paul

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

Lack of tourists.  Lots of clubs priced out fans safe in the knowledge that chinese or other foreign tourists would buy them up.  

So plenty of Man Utd fans have never been to a game or afforded one.  If you look at the age range of season ticket holders at prem clubs its well into the 40's and ageing.  

Lack of tourists would definitely be a factor. When I’m at Anfield I invariably have a non scouser (and often non English) sitting next to me, myself included. Travel will have been impacted. It still seems quite surreal to have so many thousands packed in stadiums given we are still in a pandemic. While watching the Man United game on Match of the Day I was wondering what Aussies make of this.

Regarding the season ticket comment, It’s ridiculously hard to get one due to the waiting list. Very few give them up so the vast majority grow old with them.

2 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

The attendance thing is totally a RL problem, i have just about got a ticket for the next Kent CCC match with the attendance reduced to 4000.

We have a problem and it needs addressing even my Step 5 non league football club attendances have nearly doubled.

London Broncos down to 250 says it all.

SL and the entire game needs a revamp NOW.

Paul

I think everyone thinks the game needs a revamp but how can that be done in RL ?. 

1 hour ago, Josef K said:

I think everyone thinks the game needs a revamp but how can that be done in RL ?. 

I have been watching the new racing league on Sky. They have really encouraged younger supporters and attracted good attendances.

The innovations have encouraged more female involvement, using women commentators and analysists. 

There is also music, a dj for in between races, and stalls. Different and exotic food outlets. 

Teams are new but not geographically based. They make good use of team colours, they give out hats and girls can have their nails painted in their favourite team. 

The aim is to attract a new audience to the 6 meetings, held around the UK, and then encourage them to attend their local tracks. 

There is also an aim to encourage people with different ethnicities to attend. So at one event there will be a Carribean evening for example, with authentic West Indian food and music. 

6 hours ago, Josef K said:

No i wasn’t on about the segregation. 

Either way, the attendance was 72,700 in a ground that holds a maximum of 74,500.

Archived